Extreme high-pitched noise (not caused by fans) (1 Viewer)

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Hello people,
I'm hoping that you can help me figure out this problem.

The symptom is a high-pitched noise (can change pitch as it goes) that may lead to a spontaneous system shutdown (not windows shutdown but the comp just turns off).

The problem arises recently 3 days ago (originally thought it was due to the hot weather), but today's temperature is much cooler yet the problem persists.

I've checked all the temps and found them to be normal (in celsius):
Sys ~ 35
Cpu ~ 41
Cpu Kernel ~ 96 (it's always been this high, maybe a fault)
Hd ~ 44
"ACPI Temp" ~ 40

Recent hardware(HW) & software(SW) changes:

- InstalledSW "D-Link AirPlus Utility (bundled)"; 1 month ago
- InstalledHW "D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.B)"; 1 month ago

- InstalledSW "SpeedFan 4.27"; 2 weeks ago

- UninstalledSW "Quicktime, DivX, some other codecs"; 1 week ago
- InstalledSW "K-Lite Codec Pack"; 1 week ago to replace the uninstalled codecs

- Problem starts about here 4 days ago

- ReinstalledSW "Motherboard drivers all updated and successful"; today
- ReinstalledHW "nVidia GeForce 4000 MX"; today for test of problem elimination

The removal of my graphics card meant that now i'm using the onboard integrated graphics (problem persists).

High-pitched noise would then be accompanied with a blur-out of the screen and a 3.3V exceeding warning.
The voltage exceeding warning makes me think that it's a PSU fault.

The after-result is often the computer failed to reset and hardware monitors returns false temperatures & voltages like 184C and 76V respectively.

(there goes another one, i'm compiling this post on notepad and frequently saving it)

While i was BIOS'ing for super-safe settings, i've noticed that the pitch sound would occur when the -12 voltmeter reads a value below -12.9V (lowest was -13.5V)
Thus consistent with my earlier prediction of a faulty PSU or even faulty power cables.

Again I digged in and clear up as much of the cablings, removing about 4mm of dust on my mobo and HS.

For your information, this motherboard "MK77m-8XN" has an automatic fuse that would turn off the system when unsafe, automatically allowing power back after several seconds.

Thank you
Vasthu

fatmuscle

HSC
i'd continue stripping out pieces of hardware.

can you pinpoint the area of the computer where the noise is coming from?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
So it is constantly there?

it could be some signal leaking into your PC speaker? (Considering how much dust you have)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
You certainly have gone into detail for your problem but I also have to agree with fatmuscle just keep on removing hardware bit by bit until the problem is found, good luck.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
So it is constantly there?

it could be some signal leaking into your PC speaker? (Considering how much dust you have)
Not a constant event, in fact it's quite random. Sometimes it can go for several hours and down to just several minutes (it gets to the windows loading screen and shuts down)

Since PC Speaker is on a constant volume and I know how loud my pc speaker is, it can't be the origin.

Just curious though, can enough dust act as a conductor?

If the problem persists after all hardware possibilities are donw, should I buy a new PSU? since it's probably my best guess with these over-voltage and all.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
AntiHyper said:
Not a constant event, in fact it's quite random. Sometimes it can go for several hours and down to just several minutes (it gets to the windows loading screen and shuts down)

Since PC Speaker is on a constant volume and I know how loud my pc speaker is, it can't be the origin.

Just curious though, can enough dust act as a conductor?

If the problem persists after all hardware possibilities are donw, should I buy a new PSU? since it's probably my best guess with these over-voltage and all.
Dust becomes a conductor when moisture gets trapped in it.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
i used to have a VERY similar problem...its the software for the monitoring of ur video card thats being gay...uninstall that hoe and itll be ok..

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Enoch said:
i used to have a VERY similar problem...its the software for the monitoring of ur video card thats being gay...uninstall that hoe and itll be ok..
I don't think i have any graphics card monitors :S
Is it that SpeedFan?

it doesn't show me any sensor readings from my card tho.. mmh i'll uninstall it for couple of days maybe see how that goes

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I've uninstalled SpeedFan (the graphics card monitor) 2 days ago, the system crash didn't happen at all yesterday but it did today :(

So maybe, you can say that it's caused by speedfan as a cumulative motherboard wreckage. Just like a severed spine, where the circuitry cannot be healed after the frequent over-voltages.

Temperatures and voltages are still normal and unaffected after a crash. As with the high-pitched noise has disappeared when it happened spontaneously today.

/me thinks it's time to buy a new comp.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I've just read a faq about SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) and it listed a problem that truly fits into mine. A "harmonic" high-pitched sound accompanied with unstable voltage output, which is usually high therefore causing the motherboard fuse to cut the power (effectively shutting down the system).
SMPS usually try to regulate one of the output voltages by using the
switcher, usually it's the output with the most power, but might be
the one that's most voltage critical. If the filter caps go bad in
the main output voltage, the auxiliary output voltages will go high.
The SMPS may also start to make high-pitched sounds as the ripple messes
with the feedback system. The aux output voltages may go so high that
the secondary regulator may go into foldback to protect itself. I found
this out the hard way. It's really something that can kick you in the
pants because normally one would not check the 5V supply if the problem
seems to be a bad 23.5V regulator.
Generally, the info everywhere says these problems can be caused from bad electrical soldering to broken down capacitors, even electricity arching between wires (short circuits).

Interestingly i'm most likely will be studying electrical engineering this year :rolleyes: might put it to goof use.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Oooh I KNOW UR PROBLEM!! (or at least I think i do)... I had the exact same thing twice.. it's your monitor.

First the shrill noise starts coming out... makes you feel a bit funny eh?

Then after some time the monitor starts drawing too much power and shorts out your PC causing everything to turn off...

And eventually your monitor will die.

... btw i'm not sure if this applies to LCDs but i've had this with an Acer 17" CRT and a Hitachi 17" CRT before.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong.. you guys seem to be focussed on the voltage and all that...

Last edited:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I just got a new PSU, slightly newer airflow design to keep it cool, manual power switch at the back and a fanspeed control to keep it quiet. All free as it's under warranty and so far so good, except now the problem lies in my display getting slightly blurred every now and then :|

Is this a normal thing for a new PSU? Could it be just wiring/cable problems?

I really hope i've exterminated the WHOLE problem, nothing feels as bad when you have to call them back and say the stupid system shutdowns was not caused by the PSU.

Or is it just purely the "aftermath" of the frequent and intense voltage breakdowns, in that case a new motherboard would be essential :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)