Exxxxchange (1 Viewer)

kaylz

HSC
Mods - you can put this wherever you see fit. I figured I'd get maximum exposure in NS.
okauy.
:confused:
Hi guys. Helpies. I'm looking at going on exchange next year, preferably to the ISC in Paris. My university's international office has been about as helpful as they can, but they only seem to cater for australian citizens who get government funding (I get nothing), want to pay a buttload for accommodation (I have family in Paris - this may or may not be convenient) and who need visas. I'm a british citizen, which I believe means I can live and work anywhere in Europe. I was also wondering what entitlements I may have as a student over there. If anyone knows:
a) about visas and citizenship
b) my entitlesments
c) the cost of living in paris (I think the university's estimate probably understated it...)
Also, for people who've gone on exchange - how much money did you spend? What would I need to do it comfortably. Thanks gang.

kaylz

HSC
oh duh okay this forum makes sense. I doubt anyone looks here though.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
Okay well, I'm going on exchange to Germany in a little while so I've checked out some of this stuff myself.

Firstly- You're a British national so check out the Home Office website in regards to your visas and such in the EU. There should be no problem with it because of the whole combined economic reigon etc, but it's worth checking out.

Secondly- Generally, the larger world cities are more expensive to live in. Living in London for a year will cost you, even on student-ish type lifestyle, 10,000, including uni accomodation (so allow for more if you're not staying at a uni).

Thirdly- Plan only the basics from here. Stay with your family for a while. If you're not doing this directly through uni, it'll be tough to work out where exactly you wanna stay, where the best prices are etc. Maybe you can ask your family to do a little background checking for you. If not, stay with them for a month or so while you first get over and then check out accomodation, having a feel for the city is a good idea before you decide to live anywhere.

As a student, you probably wouldn't be considered for French residency, but it's not so much an issue due to the fact that the EU is a pretty open bloc. There's nothign that would stop you from working in France for a while.

Keep in mind that if you want your subjects there to count for a degree here you have to get them checked out by your uni etc. But I'm sure you already know that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)