Factors influencing choice of specialty (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
This is an article I came across from the Medical Journal of Australia which I thought some of the medical students on the forum might be interested in. It looks at different vocational specialty pathways available to medical graduates and what factors influence people to choose them. Here it is. Have many of you thought ahead to what specialty you might like to enter (or is it still to early to ask, as is often the case)? What factors lie behind your interests?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
- Lifestyle
- Goals in life
- Aims to achieve in medicine
- Personal interest
- Previous experiences

there are more but these are some that I can think of on how id choose mine..

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
does the need to choose a specialty (or even to choose med over surg) and stick with it worry you?

i think that rigidity would cause me the most stress, not really being able to change your mind.

and it hardly seems surprising that females are less likely to end up in surgery, from what i've observed it's a bit of a boys club.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
*shrug* if u mean me.. ill just be glad to survive a fellowship program.. but yes anything longer than 5 yrs would shit me.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
vodkacrumble said:
does the need to choose a specialty (or even to choose med over surg) and stick with it worry you?

i think that rigidity would cause me the most stress, not really being able to change your mind.
I'm most strongly considering the paediatric/adult medicine training programs with the college of physicians. Being outside the surgical pathway wouldn't bother me too much given that surgery doesn't attract nearly as much as the options available in the college of physicians. However, I can see the how the issue you're highlighting would come into play if someone was unsure or streamed into one of the more limited programs (e.g. opthalmology, dermatology, anaesthesia). I should say though, I don't think that there is anything to stop someone retraining if they decided that they would be happier in another specialty (indeed, I have met several people who have done just that). As far as I can see retraining is mostly an issue if you see being at the top of the medical heirachy/payscale as the be all and end all of one's life/career - which it needn't be.

brolgaballet

~Sarah ~
HSC
I am applying for a 2008 bach med/Bach Surgery

I am interested in OB/GYN. I am female but I am concerned because i want a family of my own one day. also i am concerned about the working hours and the employment opporutnities.

does anyone know how m=uch they earn?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
average monies.. but its good .. lots of females

OB/GYN is interesting.. and has the aspects of medicine and surgery..

aussiechica7

HSC
"there's no such thing as a poor doctor" (-dr at the ama careers day)

i'm interested in o&g. i'm happy 2 take a few yrs off to have kids then get back into it if i possibly can. and/or work PT once i actually have them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)