Fail 1 mid exam and get distinction?? (1 Viewer)

tajid73

HSC
Hi guys,
Ive got question to ask.
i got F for my first quiz for accg201 as they tested me knowledge of accg 200 which i did a year ago.. and i was sick that time so wasnt even bothered to read accg200 txtbook again.. it's only worth about 1.5/5
I know its really bad. but in positive side i just think that, thats like only 5% out of the total assessments.
for quiz 2 however i went from the worst mark in my tut to the best mark in my tut. and i am sure i can keep that up..
my question is " is it still possible for me to get D after getting F for one of my assessment"? As I am type of person that really wants to get D+ mark

Tabris

HSC
The mark falls within a grade band 65-74 75-84 etc. This band represents a qualitative assessment e.g. satisfactory, substantially above expectation etc. etc.

e.g. In law, getting 70 doesn't mean you got 70 marks out of possible 100. It means your performance is substantially above what a competent person is expected.....or something along those lines (Cant remember what the criteria was).

This maybe the case for accounting......or other BES units where they scale or adjust the test papers to such a difficulty that getting X mark means a C, D, P, or HD.

Thats just my opinion

Failing a measly 5% assessment is not catastrophic.......you still can obtain a D. If you soar into the stratosphere in the final, a D can be easily attained

Last edited:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I would argue decent pedagogy as minimising group assigments and maximising individual ones. Group assignments should comprise no more than 20% of marks for one unit in my opinion - individual assignments are the only proper gauge on how a student is applying knowledge and dissemination of information learnt. Yet lecturers (in BBA/MKTG anyway, could differ for other faculties) love making group assignments worth 40-50%.

I have had this thought recurring over the years that if I was a lecturer I would let the students know exactly what was in the final exam, and let it be open book. However, if students merely regurgitated the books definition, I would fail them. They would have to think outside the square and apply real world theory to get good marks. Surely this is closer to how it works in any major corporation? Just my two cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)