Failed electives. What now? No chance for honours? (1 Viewer)

zbzb51

HSC
Hey, i'm so confused about all this uni stuff.... wondering if anyone can help me out. So i failed one elective last semester, and i'm pretty sure that i'll fail both electives this semester. What should i do? should i do an extra next yr? btw, i'm doin a Bachelor of Economics (1st year).

Oh also, because i failed some of my subjects in first year and only just passed my core subjects does that mean i won't ever be able to do an honours degree? since u need credit average. Do they at your results from first yr? would i have a chance if i did really well next year?

Sorry if these questions sound really dumb... it's all so confusing!

THANKYOU SO MUCH

04er

HSC
Yeah you will still need to complete the electives you failed (or you can choose other electives instead).

Sorry to say but honours looks impossible in your situation, because unfortunately they do look at your first year results.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
There is always a way round if you do work hard in later units to prove yourself, and you show genuine aptitude to get at least a 2.1 in honours. I strongly suggest you work harder if you want to get anything out of your degree, as fails do not benefit anyone and only act as a discouragement and demonstration of lack of effort.

You have made the cut off mark for your course, so you are smart enough to get in, so you should be getting at least credits if you do a bit of the tuts each week.

Last edited:

zbzb51

HSC
Thanks for the replies! i feel really bad now, i've been slacking off all year and only now do i regret doin so... i'm worried now that i've just been wasting my time and ruined my chances of making something worthy out of my degree... i've failed most of my subjects this semester too... so is it too late? if i do really well in coming semesters, will i still have a chance in getting a highly ranked job after i graduate? do employers care about first year results? cos a whole lot of fails don't look very good... argh! i'm sooo stupid, wish i had known about this earlier... i was under the impression that results didn't matter in uni... stupid me. I wish i can just redo the whole year...

oh and i don't think i'll be able to get 70%+ in ECON1002, so won't be able to enrol into the honours course in second yr... is there any other way? a friend of mine told me that if i get 80%+ in ECOS2001 and ECOS2002, i might have a chance to get in? i dunno, i really dont understand all this. THANKS AGAIN FOR UR HELP GUYS!!!

and another question... is there a limit to the number of subjects/units you can chose to study? like if you fail and need to do extra units on top of your core units in order to major in something... or is it, you failed, you can't fit any more units in, too bad?

THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
You only need 65% average (i.e. Credit Average). Not sure why they said 70% on that page, where it clearly says in many other places (and I have conformation from course administrators) that its just a Credit Average.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just remember if you fail a unit, its not counted as a successfully completed Credit point. So no, there is no limit in that regard. But if you want to do every unit possible and pass them - no that is not possible.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you're doing this poorly in first year, what makes you think you're cut out for honours?

uder

HSC
withoutaface said:
If you're doing this poorly in first year, what makes you think you're cut out for honours?
I'd have to agree. You must have really neglected uni not to pass first year subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)