failed first uni assignment :'( (1 Viewer)

aj12

HSC
N/A
I just failed my first uni assignment, a psychology essay worth 25%. I got a 49.

I am on a scholarship at uni (merit scholarship) and need a D average.

Am I doomed?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you on scientia? .95?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
49% for the essay and assuming you do the quizzes and the participation, it puts you on 22.125/35 or 63%. Menas you need 52.875/65 (81%) to get a distinction.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
your scholarship eligibility is calculated at the end of the year. So as long as your overall marks for your subjects average out to 75 over the whole year, you'll be fine.

Might want to study hard for the end of sem exam though, that 100 multiple choice is a killer.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
your scholarship eligibility is calculated at the end of the year. So as long as your overall marks for your subjects average out to 75 over the whole year, you'll be fine.

Might want to study hard for the end of sem exam though, that 100 multiple choice is a killer.
They are calculated at the end of each semester.

OP, you can always pull up and do well in the other 75% of psych and if you are sitting comfortably in Ds for your other subjects, getting a high C in psych will still comfortably get you the D average overall for SAM.

It's common in first semester of uni to get a mark shock, it's how you regroup and rebuild from it that distinguishes you. Good luck with your psych and other studies.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
They are calculated at the end of each semester.

OP, you can always pull up and do well in the other 75% of psych and if you are sitting comfortably in Ds for your other subjects, getting a high C in psych will still comfortably get you the D average overall for SAM.

It's common in first semester of uni to get a mark shock, it's how you regroup and rebuild from it that distinguishes you. Good luck with your psych and other studies.
hmm I was chatting to scholarships on Wed and they had a student with a similar situation, but they indicated still paying out sem 2, even if the first semester marks weren't quite there. That was for a merit scholarship though.

Probs best to call them directly tbh. Their number is 8627 8112, or email is scholarships.officer@sydney.edu.au

ww0811

HSC
I just failed my first uni assignment, a psychology essay worth 25%. I got a 49.

I am on a scholarship at uni (merit scholarship) and need a D average.

Am I doomed?
i got 54, your tutor really should add 1 mark to let you pass :X

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm I was chatting to scholarships on Wed and they had a student with a similar situation, but they indicated still paying out sem 2, even if the first semester marks weren't quite there. That was for a merit scholarship though.

Probs best to call them directly tbh. Their number is 8627 8112, or email is scholarships.officer@sydney.edu.au
Could be subject to discussions maybe?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Could be subject to discussions maybe?
Aye, yeah something like that. They are understanding if a first semester student falls a little short of the SAM and approve it forward (with some form of paperwork or discussion?) from what I've heard-so I wouldn't fret OP.

Focus your efforts on performing as best as you can for your remaining tasks :) I know you can :D

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 40% in a 25% assessment back last year and ended up with 64 for that subject but my WAM was 75+ for that semester, so you're not doomed.

aj12

HSC
N/A
Hi guys..thanks for the advice haha :) Just wanted to update for the sake of future PSYC1001 students (or I suppose other first year subjects with similar ~25% assignments) who also fail the assignment..

I got a D! (79)...by getting 87% on the exam and doing all of the research participation...and the kick is that I crammed for 1 day (~5 hours) for it and barely went to any lectures or tutorials. YOU TOO CAN OVERCOME THE SHOCK OF PSYC ASSIGNMENT FAILURE!

That said, I will never ever procrastinate again.....ah..........for real this time :'(

engineering

HSC
N/A
Interesting that you have your results, given the uni has said

"Your exam results for Semester 1 will be available in Sydney Student on Monday 14 July."

aj12

HSC
N/A
hahaha nice try but psyc1001 results are on blackboard as of yesterday :) The OFFICIAL version comes out on Sydney Student on 14-15 July.

antheung

HSC
N/A
Hi guys..thanks for the advice haha :) Just wanted to update for the sake of future PSYC1001 students (or I suppose other first year subjects with similar ~25% assignments) who also fail the assignment..

I got a D! (79)...by getting 87% on the exam and doing all of the research participation...and the kick is that I crammed for 1 day (~5 hours) for it and barely went to any lectures or tutorials. YOU TOO CAN OVERCOME THE SHOCK OF PSYC ASSIGNMENT FAILURE!

That said, I will never ever procrastinate again.....ah..........for real this time :'(
That's really impressive! Congratulations!

Did you expect such a good result on your exam?

By the way, so your overall mark of 79 consisted of 49*0.25 (Essay mark) + 87*0.65 (Exam) + 10% (Quizzes and Participation) = 78.8, which got rounded to 79, right? So your raw mark is exactly your final mark, meaning that there is indeed no scaling being applied this year? Sorry for being off-topic but I'm still just unsure about whether or not scaling is applied this year ...

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

Shit happens.

Failing is not a rare occurrence for uni students, if it does happen, just stay positive.

Congratulations on the mark !

aj12

HSC
N/A

By the way, so your overall mark of 79 consisted of 49*0.25 (Essay mark) + 87*0.65 (Exam) + 10% (Quizzes and Participation) = 78.8, which got rounded to 79, right? So your raw mark is exactly your final mark, meaning that there is indeed no scaling being applied this year? Sorry for being off-topic but I'm still just unsure about whether or not scaling is applied this year ...
Before the exam..I thought I was going to fail since I only studied for a day (didn't do anything all semester) and didn't fully go through every section. However, during the exam I had around 90 minutes left over. I pencilled the ones that I wasn't completely sure about and it was around ~15-20 so I estimated that I did well.

I don't think that there is any scaling.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Psychology had scaling removed ages ago - BOSers only care about scaling in the physical sciences because that's where it isn't clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)