Failed Half-yearlies (1 Viewer)

levelup888

HSC
I have absolutely failed these half-yearlies.. theres no hope I swear...
Is it possible for AT LEAST a 85 with these marks at least? 90 maybe?
Honestly I'm doubting it. Never thought highly of myself and this is a perfect reason.

Maths 3U 30% I think: 43/65
Maths 2U 30% I think: 52/68
Chemistry 20%: 32/75
Physics 20%: 39/75
Multimedia 15%: 26/40
English 15%: 21/30

These aren't great I know. In my opinion they're really disappointing, especially after the effort I put into them before hand...
I don't know what I can do... ><

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I have absolutely failed these half-yearlies.. theres no hope I swear...
Is it possible for AT LEAST a 85 with these marks at least? 90 maybe?
Honestly I'm doubting it. Never thought highly of myself and this is a perfect reason.

Maths 3U 30% I think: 43/65
Maths 2U 30% I think: 52/68
Chemistry 20%: 32/75
Physics 20%: 39/75
Multimedia 15%: 26/40
English 15%: 21/30

These are great I know. In my opinion they're really disappointing, especially after the effort I put into them before hand...
I don't know what I can do... ><
YOu know what you can do??
Never give up, and stay positive. Don't get into the horrible trap of thinking "there's no hope left for me" and keep working hard.

I was once told that "the biggest failure in life is failing to try".

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Really depends, you should provide your school rank as well. If your school is ranked reasonably well, you would have a fairly good chance but if not, still don't give up as this is the time where everyone else does.

levelup888

HSC
Uhh I looked up and it says ranked 123? From last years ATAR scores... Is that alright? :S

WeaselPowa

HSC
I have seen people get those marks, use it as motivation, and study. Hard. You still have a chance to redeem yourself and pull up your marks to gain ranks (which will be easier if the marks are clustered together).

Remember. IT IS NOT TOO LATE. There are many people who have exponentially increased their marks after failing their half yearlies.

levelup888

HSC
YOu know what you can do??
Never give up, and stay positive. Don't get into the horrible trap of thinking "there's no hope left for me" and keep working hard.

I was once told that "the biggest failure in life is failing to try".
Does that mean though I should study even harder? I'm ashamed of my chemistry mark and I'm dreading Parent/Teacher Interviews next week cus of these results

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Does that mean though I should study even harder? I'm ashamed of my chemistry mark and I'm dreading Parent/Teacher Interviews next week cus of these results
If you really studied hard, then maybe its the way you study. How did you study for these exams?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Study to the best of your ability really. Can't do much more.

When I'm 'ashamed' of a mark myself, I pretty much go through what you and many people go through. Sometimes, you'll be like ''I did so much yet I get crap'' and thing is, 'hard work' doesn't ALWAYS equate to immediate success. The harder you work, the more luck you get and the chances of a better mark increases BUT it's not a definite thing. So in the end, some things are out of your control (e.g. whether the test questions suit you or not, your 'form' on the day, etc.) but ultimately, it's better to work hard than do nothing at all. At least, there'll be no regrets in the end.

If it helps, I guess you should consider that your rank isn't too bad. And rank is what matters.

Jikky

HSC
Uhh I looked up and it says ranked 123? From last years ATAR scores... Is that alright? :S
Where did you find that out? I wanna see my school's rank!

And yeah, ranks are more important. Everybody seems to fail at my school haha. For example, I got a 57% for my IPT 1/2 yearly and I still ranked 8th for that exam and my overall assessment rank.
It's all relative.

Last edited:

levelup888

HSC
If you really studied hard, then maybe its the way you study. How did you study for these exams?
Well I went to the library after school each day and left like at 7:30, and then study a bit more at home. I wrote out all my notes already before hand so was just revising them, checking out the notes from my friends jsut in case I missed anything and trying to do past papers.
What other ways of studying could there be?

levelup888

HSC
Where did you find that out? I wanna see my school's rank!

And yeah, ranks are more important. Everybody seems to fail at my school haha. For example, I got a 57% for my IPT 1/2 yearly and I still ranked 8th for that exam and my overall assessment rank.
It's all relative.
idkif this is the proper one but this is what I used
http://bettereducation.com.au/Results/Hsc.aspx

and crap if ranks are important, I'm screwed for 3U... I'm like near last (AM LAST at the moment from these half yearlies)

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I failed mine and went on to undertake my phd.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
My ranks are not excellent, so I can relate to a degree.

Do not stress. Having the correct mindset is critical to exam success. When you are calm, you can actually digest the question and answer it properly as oppose to stress making your mind jittery, scrambling your thoughts.

Do not listen to any of those idiots at school that try to demotivate you or say "I didn't study" and they got 99; they serve one purpose, to bring you to a irreversible state of complacency so they have the upper hand, and ultimately, the upper ranks.

Be consistent.
Start studying NOW. Not tomorrow, or the day after.

You will go a long way. You just need the unwavering positive mindset and ignore any negativity which may be in your surroundings. Move yourself away from such individuals and focus on yourself.

When you get the ATAR in December, you are not going to be saying "I wonder what this guy got" 15 minutes before the ATAR release; you are going to be naturally worried and anxious about yourself.

levelup888

HSC
Unless you are absolutely certain you can ace the next few exams in 3 unit, drop it. The subject will only continue to pull you down :L
I don't think I can.. ACE it but I'm alright I think. its jsut in my school, maths is our strength and so... competition is high. Between me and second last was only like 3 marks. Then me and first place was like 20 ish? Is that massive? ><

levelup888

HSC
My ranks are not excellent, so I can relate to a degree.

Do not stress. Having the correct mindset is critical to exam success. When you are calm, you can actually digest the question and answer it properly as oppose to stress making your mind jittery, scrambling your thoughts.

Do not listen to any of those idiots at school that try to demotivate you or say "I didn't study" and they got 99; they serve one purpose, to bring you to a irreversible state of complacency so they have the upper hand, and ultimately, the upper ranks.

Be consistent.
Start studying NOW. Not tomorrow, or the day after.

You will go a long way. You just need the unwavering positive mindset and ignore any negativity which may be in your surroundings. Move yourself away from such individuals and focus on yourself.

When you get the ATAR in December, you are not going to be saying "I wonder what this guy got" 15 minutes before the ATAR release; you are going to be naturally worried and anxious about yourself.
Okay thats good thanks :) I just need to know how to calm myself down. Because I'm pessimistic, its just what I am, I don't know how to change it and dealing with depression so its all not good. HSC is placing so much stress on me and I just get upset so much when I get my mark back and it doesn't show my effort. then theres someone next to me (usually my best friend) who's going on about "Oh I wish I did better," and she tops the year... My emotions go haywire... ><

WeaselPowa

HSC
I don't think I can.. ACE it but I'm alright I think. its jsut in my school, maths is our strength and so... competition is high. Between me and second last was only like 3 marks. Then me and first place was like 20 ish? Is that massive? ><
Ah no that is not TOO massive, but whether or not you will be able to attain that rank is rather plausible.

However since the marks are so bunched up together, you have a chance to increase your ranks with a higher mark then the rest of your cohort. Good luck and study hard! It will pay off :)

shirleynomates

HSC
My half yearlies were fairly poor too. My maths extension results were juuust over 50%, however I was in the top half. Remember that the HSC exams themselves are 50% of your ATAR - if you do well in those it will bring you up a fair amount.

All the advice I keep getting given is don't worry about the long term goal - you'll get there when you get there, for now just focus on doing well in assessments. Thinking about your ATAR now after a bad set of exams will only serve to discourage you.

There's still always a chance to improve, it's not over yet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)