Failed my Ps. (1 Viewer)

AntiJap

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I failed my Ps test today with my instructors' car. I had 1 fail item with the testing officer having to intervene and 6 braking errors.

Now the fail item was at a T junction there were a few cars parked on both sides of the T junction blocking a good view of the road, so I stopped and decided to creep up bit by bit. I probably was going too fast and the officer slammed the brakes.

The 6 braking errors were for non-smooth braking.

I usually practice in a differnt older car where the brakes are less sensitive. But I was wondering if I should rebook the test really soon like next week, or should I keep practising on my Ls.

Thanks

advanced sam

HSC
N/A
AntiJap said:
Hey guys,

I failed my Ps test today with my instructors' car. I had 1 fail item with the testing officer having to intervene and 6 braking errors.

Now the fail item was at a T junction there were a few cars parked on both sides of the T junction blocking a good view of the road, so I stopped and decided to creep up bit by bit. I probably was going too fast and the officer slammed the brakes.

The 6 braking errors were for non-smooth braking.

I usually practice in a differnt older car where the brakes are less sensitive. But I was wondering if I should rebook the test really soon like next week, or should I keep practising on my Ls.

Thanks
hey. you probably were just nervous or something, and trying to adjust with the new car. dont worry about it.
i reckon you could book again, depending on how much you got out of 113 (is that the total?) if you got heaps low maybe you should just practice 4 about a week to refine skills etc.

isnt it 6 weeks wait until you can book again?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
nah its out of 100. i think you should get some more practice first unless theres some reasno there is some urgent reason that requires you to get your P's immediately. and just watch out if you creep forward bit by bit. cuase like you cant see so your moving forward, but the tester might not know what you're doing and u could be marked down for it. thats what my instructor said back in hte day i was on my L's

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Practise more in the car you're going to drive, and next time be more cautious with your controls in an unfamiliar car. A driver needs to be able to drive safely and be in control 100% even in a really shitty temperamental car that they've never driven before.

you could re-book the test for a couple of weeks if you think you could improve driving in that car by then. Probably if you wait longer you'll put it off or something else will come up.

Last edited:

leoyh

mic`
HSC
and to be honest, if the guy had to slam the breaks for you, then i guess in a way, that deserves a fail. and you're allowed to make an error or two provided its not a fail item or something major, but 6 times. yeaah. just get more practice in a car that you're actually gonna take to the test

HSC
advanced sam said:
isnt it 6 weeks wait until you can book again?
i'm fair sure its a week, although depending on where you live the waiting list *could* be that long...

iEdd

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Hmm...no.
Hmm...yes (is the short answer). The test has 4 sections each out of 25 (25 zones) = 100. The only reason many tests are out of more than 100 is because the maximum test score becomes one point higher for every hazard. A test with 2 hazards is out of 102 for example. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like as long as you don't get a fail item, a hazard can only make you BETTER off - you either get 0/1 or 1/1 for it.

CieL

HSC
Why were you doing the test in your instructor's car if you usually practice in an older car?
Shouldn't you be used to the brakes on your instructor's car anyway?

Brakes shouldn't be hard to adapt to. I did my test in a new car with tight ass brakes compared to my old rolla's drum brakes. Just made sure I wore thin soled shoes so you can feel the pedals better.

In short, maybe you should do the DART in the car you usually practice in.

jcurry

HSC
iEdd said:
Hmm...yes (is the short answer). The test has 4 sections each out of 25 (25 zones) = 100. The only reason many tests are out of more than 100 is because the maximum test score becomes one point higher for every hazard. A test with 2 hazards is out of 102 for example. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like as long as you don't get a fail item, a hazard can only make you BETTER off - you either get 0/1 or 1/1 for it.
and therore all test arent out of 100 mine was out of 109 i think when i went for my p's

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
iEdd said:
Not really, seeing as you need a score of 90% to pass, and hazards only increase the likelihood of mistakes.

iEdd

HSC
Oh okay, that makes more sense now. I wasn't sure if it was 90 marks or 90%.

lala2

Banned
HSC
If you're booking the test in a heavy-demand RTA, book now, and then, closer to the test, if you're not feeling confident, postpone it. At least that way you've got your foot in the door in terms of the booking system

jas62

HSC
hey all!!

doing my p test on monday the 7th of april i'm a bit worried. I feel like i will pass but am a bit scared that i will forget to do something. So if you guys could give me some tips it would be a big help and i'm doing my test in the small country town of moree!

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
I sat for my p's test on the 28th March and I also failed.
I had 4 failed items and a score of 94/108 lol.

*Theres a stop sign in front of most RTA's where you must stop!
*Its better to step on the breaks hard than to accelerate past the traffic lights, unless it is extremely dangerous to do so.
*you must rotate your head to check your blind spots esp when parking.
*You fail even if you go over the speed limit by 1km/h
I didnt do all these things so that was pretty much a fail -_-

Is it true that if you have one failed item you fail the test?

Mumma

HSC
drynxz said:
I sat for my p's test on the 28th March and I also failed.
I had 4 failed items and a score of 94/108 lol.

*Its better to step on the breaks hard than to accelerate past the traffic lights, unless it is extremely dangerous to do so.

wow ... 4 fails ...

HSC
i don't know how the new test works but there are certain instant fails and fails they will let you get away with.

if you don't stop in front of the rta that's an instant fail. so you were screwed from the start if you didn't do that one.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
watatank said:
i don't know how the new test works but there are certain instant fails and fails they will let you get away with.
No there aren't. If you do anything that is listed as a 'fail' in the test guidebook, you fail the test instantly, no exceptions. If you do something incorrect that isn't a specific fail item, you lose points, and if you get below about 85% or 90% - can't remember the exact mark - you fail even if you don't have any specific fail items.
drynxz said:

Yes, any one of them would have been enough to cause you to fail the test, because they're all specific fail items. (You're allowed to miss blind spot checks occasionally, but if you do it 'frequently' or 'repeatedly' they'll fail you. All the other things you did are instant fails even if you only do them once.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)