failing 2u maths, should swap to general? (1 Viewer)

serendipityy

HSC
I failed my first 2u test then had to do it again and got 90%, just because I studied the night before, typical ay anyways so It's not that I don't understand it, It just it goes a bit fast :(

So I was thinking of moving down to General Maths but apparently
they are on a different syllabus and my teacher didnt recommend moving now but at the end of the year.
Is it worth the risk? or just push through this year?
Oh and for all 2u peeps, how much harder does it get later on?
Does it scale you down heaps for you're UAI?

Though moving was my second choice because heaps of UNI courses require at least 2U Maths so I was looking for a Maths tutor or a Tutoring Place?
Can you please recommend a tutor, tutoring service and any good books?
As I need all the help I can get? Pretty please :)

Thanks guys
♥

AnandDNA

HSC
If you end up moving down next year, you would have missed on the essential prelim stuff hence disadvantaging you. But you would rather stick with 2U for now and try to do better than drop it while you had the potential to do great in 2U

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Yeah, look for a tutor first. Don't drop it now because marks flunctuate throughout the year. You may improve, you never know :)

andyMUFFINS

HSC
hahaha, nah.
Do you think you're capable?

I say you keep going through it :) And yeah, a tutor will probably help too.

dp624

HSC
if i was failing 2u, i wouldn't do maths at all
like, i'd do pretty crap at general regardless, so no point?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, you could try and improve... its only the start of second term, so you could improve.

Eddykungfu

HSC
Similar stuff to me in 3u.
In year 11, I was rank 82/83, getting average of 37 % (embarassing, huh).

Now since year 12/HSC course, im 30/67, getting average of 80%

You will work so much harder/care so muhc more in year 12.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you managed to get 90% the second time around, you either remembered the answers to the questions or actually studied and so knew what you were doing. Therefore, a solution for you is to work harder.

If you don't want to work harder but still continue to flunk and a private tutor etc etc doesn't work, just drop. You'd miss too much of the general syllabus so there'd be no point.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
If you are not willing to work harder, there is no point getting a tutor. You would just be wasting your time and money.

Eightyseven87

HSC
I failed my first 2u test then had to do it again and got 90%, just because I studied the night before, typical ay anyways so It's not that I don't understand it, It just it goes a bit fast :(

So I was thinking of moving down to General Maths but apparently
they are on a different syllabus and my teacher didnt recommend moving now but at the end of the year.
Is it worth the risk? or just push through this year?
Oh and for all 2u peeps, how much harder does it get later on?
Does it scale you down heaps for you're UAI?

Though moving was my second choice because heaps of UNI courses require at least 2U Maths so I was looking for a Maths tutor or a Tutoring Place?
Can you please recommend a tutor, tutoring service and any good books?
As I need all the help I can get? Pretty please :)

Thanks guys
♥
Dude 90% is really good. Just study more often then, don't drop down if you know you can get 90% (which is a high mark) and besides what were doing in general maths now is completely different to you, so you'd have to learn everything we have so far. imo, that would be such a hassel.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
if you done 5.3, general maths is too easy, people get 90% without studying. I would stick with 2unit.

pongers

HSC
Ahh, I'm having the exact same issue. My sister told me to stick it out till the end of year 12.
My brother told me to go get a tutor, or him being liek a 4 unit maths freak, told me that if I have trouble I should go to him. -___-
I have no clue what to do.
Thanks for putting up this thread! :)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Lol He's a 4U maths freak, maybe you're just a 2U maths dumbass, no offence. But like dp said, if you're failing 2U it's likely you won't do well in general either, so it's best to not do Maths come Year 12. Otherwise I'd stick to 2U because General is really different and could be quite dificult if you've missed a lot of work. Moving from 2U to General is like going from IPT to SDD. They're similar, but really different.

serendipityy

HSC
Ahh, I'm having the exact same issue. My sister told me to stick it out till the end of year 12.
My brother told me to go get a tutor, or him being liek a 4 unit maths freak, told me that if I have trouble I should go to him. -___-
I have no clue what to do.
Thanks for putting up this thread! :)
YAY! someone who gets where im coming from!
like exactly
because my teacher told me to stick it out till end of year
and MY 4 UNIT MATHS FREAK older brother tutored me for a while but
he has uni exams atm so he can't when I really needed the help :(

AND I'm not giving up, for those who say to drop maths all together
hell no, I mean i guess its obvz that I'm pretty shit at it but I can't not do maths, Dad will kill me
Ha I just need to catch up heaps as I understand the work when it's being taught to me :)
wish i was one of those stupidly smart maths freaks who dont even study
:spzz:

v26

HSC
if you did it again and 90% you're capable of doing 2U, however if you try but in the end are not comfortable with the subject it could be better to drop down early

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
it seems like ur not too bad at maths, u just have to work a bit harder, consistently.

and to the guy above, who said "how do u fail 2unit"
its not that hard to fail 2unit, its not that easy. especially if u haven't been doing anything, or haven't been taking in any of the topics being learnt.

regarding tutoring, where do u live?
u should also look at the tutoring threads or if u just want group tutoring, there are plenty of places,

technicolour

HSC
I TOTALLY know where you're coming from, except I'm even worse, considering I will never get 90%.

Seeing as you got 90% after you studied though, I'd wait for another exam and see how it goes. If you study really hard (perhaps get a tutor?) you'll do well. You have the potential.

Then again, if it's a massive burden that takes away from all your other subjects, I'd drop down. If it's making you unhappy, it's not worth it.

g_carlo

HSC
if you done 5.3, general maths is too easy, people get 90% without studying.
And whats wrong with that?

The HSC is more about getting the marks, the easiest way you can. Then that part of your life is over and done with.

Save the noble challenges for your future career.

...or so I've been told

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)