• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

failing school cause of fam problems? (1 Viewer)

shankya

HSC
hey guys
ive been doing bad in year 12 because of a lot of family problems that have happened this year. Its really irritating that it happened this year, and alot of my thought has gone into the problems instead of school, and like i failed like 2/5 subject in the trials, they were pretty hard but i could of passed as i was a really good student in year 11 and i just needed to study more. my teachers were really surprised to see this happen as well. My ranks are like really good in eng and design (15/100 and 1/25) but like for maths, eco and phys im like below half way.
i was wondering if there was even a possibility of me getting a atar around or over 90?
im kinda bummed out about this.
and is there any advice you can give me? thanks alot.

Clank_

HSC
If you do well in the externals and your school isn't ranked that badly, you should do fine. You could also apply for EAS.

enoilgam

HSC
You can apply to BOS for special consideration or you can apply for the EAS as well. Not sure how either work exactly, but I know there are options out there to assist people in your situation.

Skriker

HSC
You can apply to BOS for special consideration or you can apply for the EAS as well. Not sure how either work exactly, but I know there are options out there to assist people in your situation.
Whats the BOS special consideration? Never heard of that before

shankya

HSC
thanks guys
yea ive known about the EAS, but i never went to counseling in school and it requires a educational impact statement? idk how to get one.
and yea what Skriker said, what is the BOS special consideration and how do you apply?

lil_pembo

HSC
The EAS (educational access scheme) is through UAC. http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/eas/index.shtml

Pretty much you tell them what happened that disadvantaged your education in yr 11 or 12 and they may or may not give you extra ATAR points to get into uni. Although not all uni's use this program e.g. USYD you have to apply through them not UAC.
You can not get any extra marks from board of studies, however you can apply for rest breaks in exams, extra time etc, if you have emotional trouble.
Go and talk to your director of studies, career advisor or you year adviser. Mine are pretty good with that.

I had a chronic fatigue type syndrome through yr9-11 and still have ramifications from it as well as slight depression as a result. I have been able to get rest breaks during in exams and am in the process of applying for EAS and the USYD equivalent.

lil_pembo

HSC
what is the BOS special consideration and how do you apply?
You have to do this through your school. They must sign off on things, but you will want to get moving on it. Go talk to your director of studies person cause they will have all the forms as well as all the information you need about it.

shankya

HSC
thanks alot.
so is it still possible to get around 90 or above?

lil_pembo

HSC
I would say you'd get above 85. But I honestly am crap with this atar estimation stuff

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon (help with the ranks for your "bad" subjects) you'd be getting over 80 for sure. I think you'd be eligible for EAS.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I'm going to sound like a total bitch but.........I'm going to say it anyways.

You are not the only one going through a hard time. There are kids who've experienced domestic violence, and/or even live on their own. Yet they're still managing to do great.

I don't know what kind of issue you've been experiencing, but you really need to find a way to overcome it and be stronger than that. Don't use it as an 'excuse' for failing, pull yourself together. You've sulked enough now. It's not about your family, it's about you. Your HSC is about you.

I was once faced with a similar situation, and that principal said to me quite blankly, 'so what?' At that point I felt pathetic. I thought, 'just because _____ is happening, has the world turned over? Is this really all I can do? Am I just going to make people feel sorry for me?' From then on I sucked it up, because I don't want people to see me as someone who is incapable and whatever, nor sympathize for me.

If you haven't already, you'd probably find it somewhat relieving to talk to someone about it. Perhaps your tutor or somebody close by. It's important to maintain a strong network with people just in case such unfortunate events are to occur.

Sorry if what I said is completely incongruous to your side of the story.

-You should probably talk to your principal about your situation to see what you can do about it.

Anyhow, do your best. I wish you with all the luck! :)

Last edited:

Hermes1

Banned
HSC

You are not the only one going through a hard time. There are kids who've experienced domestic violence, and/or even live on their own. Yet they're still managing to do great.

I don't know what kind of issue you've been experiencing, but you really need to find a way to overcome it and be stronger than that. Don't use it as an 'excuse' for failing, pull yourself together. You've sulked enough now. It's not about your family, it's about you. Your HSC is about you.

I was once faced with a similar situation, and that principal said to me quite blankly, 'so what?' At that point I felt pathetic. I thought, 'just because _____ is happening, has the world turned over? Is this really all I can do? Am I just going to make people feel sorry for me?' From then on I sucked it up, because I don't want people to see me as someone who is incapable and whatever, nor sympathize for me.

If you haven't already, you'd probably find it somewhat relieving to talk to someone about it. Perhaps your tutor or somebody close by. It's important to maintain a strong network with people just in case such unfortunate events are to occur.

-You should probably talk to your principal about your situation to see what you can do about it.

unfortunately this is the hard truth. OP ur gonna have to either appeal or just try ur best to ace ur externals.

anne1010

HSC

sometimes u cant suck it up. i dont think family problems are a reason for someone to fail but it deff affects ones ability to work to their full potential. when ur studying and u have that shit going on, it becomes very difficult to concentrate, no matter how strong you are.

jnney

lemon
HSC
sometimes u cant suck it up. i dont think family problems are a reason for someone to fail but it deff affects ones ability to work to their full potential. when ur studying and u have that shit going on, it becomes very difficult to concentrate, no matter how strong you are.
Yes. But you do have to come in terms with reality at some point. Don't think that you are totally screwed over, because there will always be opportunities. But they are the ones that you make for yourself.

Besides, when there are people starving across the world, can you possibly say that you're the one struggling at the moment?

that's just my take on things, haha.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)