Faraday's Rotating wire experiment - Question (1 Viewer)

ownagemaster

HSC
Hi

I have recently been given a question in class relating to Faraday's rotating wire experiment. The question asks 'Discuss why this device might be called a motor'. I'm absolutely stuck on this one for some reason. I thought that it might have something to do with the fact that it uses the motor effect to drive its motion. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dark Phoenix

HSC
what is faraday's rotating wire experiment? didnt faraday discover the generation of an electric current by moving a magnet into a wire which is produced into a coil or somethin?

twilight1412

HSC
well actually faradays law is like this

as a wire cuts lines of flux it wil experience a change of flux causing a seperation of charge, and thus creating an electric field, and inducing an electric field and a current should the circuit be closed.

helper

HSC
N/A
What is a motor?

Something that produces KE. This produces KE and can move something so its a motor.

But it is a discuss, so you should also be saying why it isn't a motor.

twilight1412

HSC
*EDIT (due to mistake found by helper)*

eerrr technically a dc* motor is a combination of:

a rotor
an armature
a stator (usually the magnets)
a coil
a power supply
a split-ring commutator
some carbon/copper brushes

and involves taking electrical energy and transforming to mechanical energy through the interaction of the magnetic fields of the coil and stator

*NEW*
the ac motor does not require the commutor as the current alternates as the flux becomes + & -

Last edited:

helper

HSC
N/A
twilight1412 said:
eerrr technically a motor is a combination of:

a rotor
an armature
a stator (usually the magnets)
a coil
a power supply
a split-ring commutator
some carbon/copper brushes

and involves taking electrical energy and transforming to mechanical energy through the interaction of the magnetic fields of the coil and stator

err technically no. It consists of a rotor and a stator. Induction motors and AC motors don't fit your description.

twilight1412

HSC
i dont know about the other guys f3nr15 but at my school we do motors/generators before doing space... maybe the other schools are like this too

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Really? My school does the topics in order. We do The Acidic Environment before Production of Materials for chem, though, don't know why o.0

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
So how far down the track does Faraday come in and is the Faraday experiment the equivalent to the Michelson-Morley experiment in terms of significance only ?

airie said:
Really? My school does the topics in order. We do The Acidic Environment before Production of Materials for chem, though, don't know why o.0
I'd like to know why CaCO3 is alkaline even though it does not contain OH- ions.

twilight1412

HSC
short version.
faradays experiment showed that should a conductor cut lines of flux it will induce an emf

longer version
should a conductor cut lines of flux it will experience a change of flux, a change of flux results in a seperation of charge. a seperation of charge results in an emf and should the circuit be closed a current will also be induced

for the direction refer to lenz's law

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)