Fashion and Textiles Design course (1 Viewer)

nookie

HSC
Some questions:

1) i only did/am doing visual arts at school, will i be disadvantaged because i don't do textiles?

2) i doubt that i'm going to get 89, can i go to TAFE first then transfer to uni?

3) it seems like east sydney tafe graduates are more successful, are there any famous/successful graduates out of this course?

i never got to ask these on open day and the dept seems to be taking a very very long time answering my email.

thanks in advance!

orchid_violet

HSC
I did not do any of those arty subjects at school or textiles, though I have been sewing for a long time and all that, but no school experience...I am sure they will teach everything, its just maybe easier to pick up if you have that background. Maybe you could do a short course or something to gain experience at the beginning of next year. I'm not sure about the transfer thing..and those east sydney tafe... hhhmmm I never knew that. I would rather have a degree than some TAFE certificate. <3

juni

juni
HSC
don't worry, as far as i know alot of ppl doing the fashion & textiles course at UTS didn't do Textiles subject in high school, in fact, alot of them only did Visual Arts:)

Superstar44

HSC
i agree with juni... i got into UTS fashiona nd textiles design course... if anyone wants any help getting in even if you don't get the uai requirement .. please don't hesitate to ask me for help...

Jezzi

HSC
I did Art, Textiles and DT in my HSC. It definetly helps when doing a uni degree in that field becuase there are many concepts that are going to be new to you, and most other students probably will have done an art/design related subject in their HSC, so you may feel disadvantaged. Visual Arts is probably a must to do, textiles and DT not so much as many of the concepts overlap, but in T&d you do learn all about fabric, sewing, different techniques, fashion figure drawing etc.

Its goo to have qualifications, but its not a neccessity as many fashion designers have no qualifications whatsoever, and its their creative ability and drive which gets them started in the business, so having said that, there is nothing wrong with a TAFE certificate, especially from an internationally recognised course like the one from East Sydney.
Graduates from East Sydney include Alex Perry, Lisa Ho Wayne Cooper, and Akira Isagowa. Many students have had the opportunity to present their work at Australian Fashion Week.

dee.

HSC
heyy im starting my hsc this year and reallllllllly want 2 get into uts and study fashion design... im really worried about the uai as it is now up 2
96.45 and im not sure taht ill reach that...
wat are the other ways around it... if any....?

gemsiekins

HSC
N/A
dee. said:
heyy im starting my hsc this year and reallllllllly want 2 get into uts and study fashion design... im really worried about the uai as it is now up 2
96.45 and im not sure taht ill reach that...
wat are the other ways around it... if any....?

yeah i wanna do it too, but thats such a HIIGH uai! but then i looked at previous years' cut offs and they seem to jump around alot... a few years ago it was 88, then 90, then back down a bit.. now 96.45!:eek:

RUSTYROX12321

HSC
i'd think that as long as you've developed an interest in fashion/textiles in general, you would be fine...some designers that have come out of East Sydney TAFE (Fashion Design Studio) i think include zimmerman & alex perry. I'm not sure if you could transfer from TAFE to uni...maybe even consider not transferring if you do because a degree in Fashion Design is not vital for success (i'm not sure how credible it is) & the TAFE course is pretty-well received in the industry.

kthxbambi

HSC
so...an aptitude in art/sewing is necessary for this course?
cause i want to be a stylist
but i cannot draw or sew

dougieblow

HSC
you can do the textiles hsc course via The Whitehouse Institute, or could do some short course at the White house.

Fashion styling requires aknowledge of how different colours show mood, esthitics/fabrics etc i think there is a TAFE course you can do.

D2B09

HSC
N/A
Hey, i REALLY want to do this course, but i'm not actually doing any of the recommended courses such as textiles, DT and VA. BUT i'm really into fashion, AND i do have experience sewing ( including designing bags and my formal dress and other bits and pieces) AND i did do textiles while i was in year 9 and 10. Okay, well the reason im in here is because i don't think i can a uai of 96, possibly low 90's, do i still have a chance even though i didn't do any of the subjects?

Oh and, does anyone recommend any other courses which might get me into fashion? Such as design or something? I'm really confused with what i want to do in uni
( currently in yr 12) BUT i do know i want to do something in design, i was thinking interior architecture @ unsw, but i dont really know if i'll like that...

thanks!

RIPYSL

HSC
Hey, i REALLY want to do this course, but i'm not actually doing any of the recommended courses such as textiles, DT and VA. BUT i'm really into fashion, AND i do have experience sewing ( including designing bags and my formal dress and other bits and pieces) AND i did do textiles while i was in year 9 and 10. Okay, well the reason im in here is because i don't think i can a uai of 96, possibly low 90's, do i still have a chance even though i didn't do any of the subjects?

Oh and, does anyone recommend any other courses which might get me into fashion? Such as design or something? I'm really confused with what i want to do in uni
( currently in yr 12) BUT i do know i want to do something in design, i was thinking interior architecture @ unsw, but i dont really know if i'll like that...

thanks!
Unfortunately you wouldn't be eligible for the bonus points. However reaching over 96 isn't an 'impossible' goal, so do your best. :)
Think of it this way... This bonus point system only got introduced TWO years ago, meaning for the last 30 years or so before it, students had to achieve the cut-off, so it's not impossible at all :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)