Fat Tax (1 Viewer)

Fat Tax

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlackDragon

HSC
know what's more important than healthcare?

FOOD

FREE FOOD FOR ALL CITIZENS
Its not as simplistic as that. All people have access to food within reason, or access to either social services that provide food or government allowances that improve their income. Though it is of course imperfect, and that's life. Access to medical care is different because it is more expensive and something alot more people would struggle to afford. That's why it is important to put government mechanisms in place that give people access. Saying black and white statements like that don't really help. And besides, the government pensions that I mentioned are things in place that act like health care but for food and other things that people need.

Last edited:

pman

Banned
HSC
It is generally the poor who eat unhealthily because of poor education and income and what not. A tax wouldn't stop them from purchasing fatty food, it would just demand higher allocations of income to groceries (unhealthy food) and take away from other expenses, like childcare, healthcare, bills, petrol etc. Increase in cost of cigarettes has shown this.

It's simple...stop being so god damn lazy, put the donut down, get off the lounge and start exercising!

Mandatory weigh ins? seriously? it could never work. Voting is less invasive and still people object. why would an overweight person walk straight up to recieve tax. Perhaps people who are within the boundaries of a healthy bmi recieve a tax return, then people would be more likely go to a weigh in, and try to lose weight to get this tax return. Or just tax everyone for being overweight, giving people the opportunity to prove they're in the healthy bmi range and be exempt from the tax along with those with medical conditions.
You cannot use BMI, it must be a fat percentage....a professional sprinter, weightlifter od bodybuilder will record an unhealthy BMI because BMI is weight compared to height...because muscle weighs more than fat, a heavily muscled paerson can come in as obese, even when the have very low fat percentages

lil-chilean

HSC
I don't think there should be a fat tax. Living in a lower socio economic there are heaps of "fat" people in comparison to the city area .theses so called fat people can't afford to pay more taxes. Some can barely afford to pay off there shopping or even find a job

Paying taxes won't stop people from getting more fat .education is the key

BlackDragon

HSC
Taxing people due to their 'fat percentage' is the worst thing i've ever heard. It will push eating disorders into the mainstream and necessary. More than that, though, it is completely totalitarian and scary to think that the government is attempting to control peoples' bodies. It sniffs of eugenics and that freaking crazy. It would be a terrible society where people have to report to be tested.

1984 style much?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
You cannot use BMI, it must be a fat percentage....a professional sprinter, weightlifter od bodybuilder will record an unhealthy BMI because BMI is weight compared to height...because muscle weighs more than fat, a heavily muscled paerson can come in as obese, even when the have very low fat percentages
BMI is fucked, im anorexic apparently.

philphie

Banned
HSC
subsidise treadmills like they're doing with insulation. i prefer telemarketers calling in about treadmills than insulation

HSC
Uni Grad
Subsidise all gym equipment imo, fuck that shit is beyond ridiculously expensive for what it is. I have no idea about how much gym membership is so maybe that is better value, though I remember hearing somewhere, maybe on here, that it aint cheap also.

astroe

HSC
Hell yes, I would so buy a treadmill right now if they didn't cost like $2,000.
BTW, how much cheaper is university gym membership anyway?
Fitness First was like $900 a year. >.<

redmayne

HSC
smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/paying-the-cost-of-fighting-obesity-20100110-m0n3.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_tax

Should we have a fat tax of some sort? And why/why not?

A couple of off the cuff pros/cons to kick it off:

Pro:
- Pigovian tax would pass on the healthcare costs to the individuals and they would make better decisions
- Revenue raising
- Improved health

Con:
- We must oppose the state/taxes in all instances
- Completely privatising healthcare would be a better measure
Those aren't cons, they're subjective examples of your hackish political views.
Exactly. Please, if you're going to float a debate like this. At least pretend to be balanced. Not blatantly subjective.

-The term "fat" is quite subjective sometimes.
Yeah, um, somehow I doubt they'd make a judgement on the level of taxing people are going to receive based on whether they reckon they're "fat" or not. There'd be medical criteria and tests. "Awww shit, she's pretty hefty, better tax her a bit."

Some skinny people like fatty foods as well and we shouldn't suffer.
This I do agree with. If I didn't have a super speedy metabolism I'd probs be fat.

1. Obviously opposed for clear libertarian/right wing reasons etc etc
2. A Fat tax would raise the cost of living for the poor.
3. Sure, it may seemingly incentivise making healthier food choices, but healthy food is already more expensive so it would only help to make healthy food cheaper compared to unhealthy food. And this may sound like a generalisation, but I'm willing to bet that at the same price, an overweight person would rather buy unhealthy food than healthy food, and even if healthy food was cheaper they would generally prefer the convenience of unhealthy food rather than going to the effort of making tasty healthy food.
4. Sure, the point could be made that overweight people cost huge amounts of money to the public health system, but this is a problem with our public health system, not a lack of "healthy regulation"
Funny, I've never seen you express care for the lives of the poor before.

Healthy food is not more expensive than unhealthy. That's complete and utter rubbish. I work in a supermarket, and by far the cheapest stuff is fruit. By far. And there are many other healthy foods that are no more expensive than unhealthy. Please don't make up shit like that.

And your last point there...are you serious? The expense of caring for fat people is the health system's fault? That's like saying cancer isn't the problem, the body is. There is no fast way to reduce the cost of healthcare for obesity, apart from stopping the actual obesity. What a stupid point.

Just from personal experience, most poor people are pretty stupid.

If you cranked up the price of junk food they'd just pay less of their bills than they already do.
Ah, here we have a very fair judgement. "This tax won't work because poor people are stupid."

It is generally the poor who eat unhealthily because of poor education and income and what not. A tax wouldn't stop them from purchasing fatty food, it would just demand higher allocations of income to groceries (unhealthy food) and take away from other expenses, like childcare, healthcare, bills, petrol etc. Increase in cost of cigarettes has shown this.

It's simple...stop being so god damn lazy, put the donut down, get off the lounge and start exercising!
I don't think the fact that a higher price on unhealthy foods would discourage people buying them is up for debate here. It would.

You can only compare smoking and obesity so far. Smoking is significantly more addictive than fatty foods. People find it easier to diet than quit smoking, so a tax would merely encourage this even further.

Yes, because telling people about the damage obesity does and what not is working so, so, so well right now! You're right, so simple!

I don't think there should be a fat tax. Living in a lower socio economic there are heaps of "fat" people in comparison to the city area .theses so called fat people can't afford to pay more taxes. Some can barely afford to pay off there shopping or even find a job

You have stumbled across the exact point of the entire tax idea. If they don't buy the unhealthy foods, they save money. The only way they are paying more is if they maintain the unhealthy ways.

Paying taxes won't stop people from getting more fat .education is the key
Yes, it would help.

And I'm fairly sure most people, even the "dumb poor" know the affects of obesity. Everyone is reasonably educated on the matter. In this way it's much like smoking. Yet a huge amount of Australians are still obese. Education = incomplete key.

Having said all that, I wouldn't really support the tax. I'm not 100% against it though either.

But it's not gonna happen, like people have said, based on the potential unpopularity of the idea.

And there would be so many interest and lobby groups hell bent on stopping this. The might of almost the entire food industry and probably other industries as well.

And it is true that putting blanket taxes on many fatty/unhealthy foods just wouldn't work. So many variables in both the food type and consumer aspects.

But it would be nice, as I said I work at a supermarket, and I used to work at an ice cream shop. And it reaches the point where I'm so disgusted I just wanna yell at these people and ban them from the shop.

Something needs to be done.

EDIT: An effective, although slightly ruthless solution would be to stop all public funding of treatment for obesity and direct side effects of obesity. This wouldn't affect any one but the obese person, apart from saving everyone else from paying for their treatment. And the obese people can hardly complain about having to pay for their self-induced ill-health and disgusting physical state.

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
There already is in effect a 'fat' tax: People who eat a lot of unhealthy foods already pay more for their food then they would if they were making nice, home cooked meals. These corporations make record profits on the backs of luring children (Happy Meal, Playlands) into unhealthy lifestyles and our government taxes them. Consider that 'fat' people eat 25% more than 'normal' people, they essentially are already pumping 25% more into the system... Unless we consider that they go without elsewhere (which becomes iffy).

By far I would support a ban on things like Happy Meals, McDonalds Playlands, Advertising targeted towards children, mandated maximum calories for things like hamburgers, pizzas -- before I'd support a tax on a problem that our society continues to facilitate with one hand and shun with the other.

Re: Fat camps

There is some merit to this idea, in Singapore for instance I know they've been able to reduce childhood obesity somewhat by offering up free excercise/weightloss sessions through schools. They 'force' children to go merely through peer pressure though and it leads to a lot of psychological stress on some of these children that may well be worse than their obesity.

I would support the tax if the profits of it were used not to cover health care costs.... but to prevent the health care costs from being there in the first place by helping these people out. I think a combination of subsidized exercise equipment, Extra programs in schools to teach kids how to make healthy food / Time for exercise so they get used to it being a 'normal' thing, Restrictions on the sort of products that can be sold and outright bans on some of the advertising would go a long way to helping the situation.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
to: everyone in this thread (cept those who know who they are)

how about the government stops trying to fucking control everything and minds their own goddamn business

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Bring on a gay and contraceptive tax imo to cover lost taxes and economic productivity
Also mandate community excercise daily thru the telescreens

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Control is the precise business of government, you ningnangnongs

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
The tax revenue from cigarettes is already about 4x the additional health cost IIRC, I support this because I hate fatties

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)