Feature article for section 3 (1 Viewer)

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Who has prepared for a feature article? I will panic if we have to do a feature article.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Section 3 has always been an essay, and I'd be surprised if they did a different text type.

Anyway, is a feature article really that hard? All you need is a headline and a different intro and conclusion. The body remains pretty much the same.

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
I think they might ask for a different text type - either a feature article, speech or maybe even some kind of interview. They did it for "change" but they haven't done it yet for "journey". It is pretty easy to turn an essay into a feature article though, just chuck in a big title, a picture with a caption and write in columns down the page? That's what I'd do anyway lol.

easy target

HSC
If they were to include a feature article at all, its more likely to be in the second section as the creative writing task.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
You're wrong. In 2002 they asked a feature article and I think 2003 it was a speech-that was for change though.

Last edited:

"Chubby"

HSC
Loz_metalhead said:
Who has prepared for a feature article? I will panic if we have to do a feature article.

agreed. I will also panic if it is a transcript..but i doubt it lol

karoooh

HSC
Feature articles aren't like essays though. They're personal opinions i.e. you'll have to make it first person and you're allowed rhetorical questions, anecdotes and a few other things that I can't think off the top of my head, atm.

Bottom line: it's not like an essay.

Last edited:

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Yeh, it's alot different from an essay. I hope they ask for an interview, if not an essay.

Dr_Doom

HSC
It doesn't matter, whatever it is, just change the format to suit your essay. What I'm worried about is if the creative writing isn't just a 'story'. Then I'd have to think of something new!

Dr_Doom

HSC
Best possible scenario:

Section I: 15 easy 1 mark questions
Section II: Write a story about a journey
Section III: Write an essay about the journey

Lori.

HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Best possible scenario:

lol how good would that be?

my god, if it is anything but an essay i will just cry! I absolutely didnt think of that until i saw this thread, although I've been looking at the marking criteria all day, and theres a point there that says "uses language appropriate to audience", etc...
Why didn't I think of that :/

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Best possible scenario:

Lol i wish! We had a feature article for the trials though. It killed me

dandel26

HSC
I just hope for section 1 theres 3 texts, that would be the bomb, i've seen up to 5 though

k_stroud22

UAI 2006 83.70
HSC
also..what my english teacher always emphasised (hes also the head teacher and marks hsc papers) that a feature article is completely different to an essay

like a speech (like my teacher said DONT just say good morning...(essay)....good afternoon) lol DONT just slap a heading on it and write an essay SHOW the marker that you know the text type

for a feature article
*short, simple sentances
*possible ancedote that links issues
*yes, you can use "i"
*heading
* statistics related to issue (if you can remember some fact from the news..last time you watched it when you wernt studying..about 5 weeks ago...lol)
*informal

speech
*informal tone
*good morning/afternoon
*include the audience

ok, thats all i can think of off the top of my head....im pretty sure its right...got2go and get heaps of sleep now! to be prepared for the big day 2morrow!!!!

HINT!!! dont stay up all night cramming..it does more harm than good...go to bed early, and if worried (or have barely studied.....thats not very smart though..) study a bit in the morning and look over summary notes.

good luck everyone...you will be fine! remember, the AOS is the easiest exam...just get used to the hsc vibe....:)

(no, i didnt come up with all this stuff myself..i have heaps of exam tips and de-stress books..like a whole bookshelf of them...i need them)

DONT PANIC!!!!! (well not excessivley anyway) ;)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Dr_Doom said:
Unfortunately, that was pretty much the scenario of last year's paper 1. I doubt that scenario is going to be repeated. :(

s2indie

HSC
I can live with a feature article. I'd die if it were to be a transcript/interview.

And Section II - hopefully it's a story or they give you the option to do anything.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
A few tips kids.

1) If its a feature article YOU MUST STATE AT THE END OF YOUR PIECE THAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN WRITTEN IN COLUMNS. No eves or butts about it. Why? If you dont', its merely an essay.

2) With an interview, this is easier than you think. The trick is to use the interviewer as the "voice" which can ask leading questions to make your job easier.

eg.

Interviewer: So, in your opinon Mr. {insert composer name here} what kind of effect were you trying to achieve and how did you do it?

{Composer}: Wow, thats a really good question. I was trying to achieve a real sense that my protagonist was on a journey through the use of the road that diverged as a metaphor for the options which life presents us.

Good luck guys.

bessie

HSC
ujuphleg said:
A few tips kids.

1) If its a feature article YOU MUST STATE AT THE END OF YOUR PIECE THAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN WRITTEN IN COLUMNS. No eves or butts about it. Why? If you dont', its merely an essay.
I've asked my teacher and there not going to give or take any marks whether or not you do that, it really isnt an issue. Although it doesnt hurt, ill probably do it any way, just for safe measure.

emily2005

HSC
N/A
can cum1 please give examples of headings u can use for a feature article

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)