Fee's question (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

yep this is what's scarying me into paying upfront..
Hoorah for modern marketing. The pain sell works again!

If it's any consolation, you probably won't be earning over the threshold for about 10 years from now. But it's all okay, at least you've paid off your HECS debt?! Imagine what you could have done with all that money in those 10 years.

I also lol that you're going to take out OS-HELP for your international semester away(?), so you've immediately added $5000 dollars to it, which, because you're paying back up front (right?) you have to pay the semester you're back, ontop of your Macquarie fees.

Personally, I'm learning a foreign language so I can escape here and never have to pay it back. Although I guess you won't want to move overseas as you would have thus wasted your money by needlessly paying it off? :p

Good luck with all of that. ;)

PS: To cut a long story short, you shouldn't be paying your fees upfront unless you would have if there was no discount. It's exactly the same as buying a piece of clothing (or anything else): You don't buy it because it's discounted, you buy it because you want to have it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tinfoilhat

HSC
Hoorah for modern marketing. The pain sell works again!

If it's any consolation, you probably won't be earning over the threshold for about 10 years from now. But it's all okay, at least you've paid off your HECS debt?! Imagine what you could have done with all that money in those 10 years.

I also lol that you're going to take out OS-HELP for your international semester away, so you've immediately added $5000 dollars to it, which, because you're paying back up front (right?) you have to pay the semester you're back, ontop of your Macquarie fees.

Personally, I'm learning a foreign language so I can escape here and never have to pay it back. Although I guess you won't want to move overseas as you would have thus wasted your money by needlessly paying it off? :p

Good luck with all of that. ;)
haha well technically my grandmother is paying because she really has nothing to do with her money and i have no extravagent plans for the near future

i'm learning a foreign language too...... i could escape to another country but then what if i needed to come back one day

hehe one day paranoia is going to kill me

EDIT: for your edit, yeah that's why i want to pay it off, not for the discount :)

Last edited:

atreus

HSC
yeh i agree, but if the money's there, and you are comfortable, would it not be more benefitial to pay, i mean, a 30K double degree like mine would turn into 24K....
It entirely depends on your circumstances. For you, the cost of deferring the payment is going to be $6000. Had you not paid upfront, in 8-10 years time, who knows what you could have turned the 24K into.

In the end it comes down to what else you could do with the money that you would use to pay upfront. Just as you see the benefit of paying upfront, as many people will find deferring beneficial.

As for Mac centre, I think they're introducing a 3 hr free parking rule or something similar to Westfields. Probably because they don't want people parking their cars there all day when they catch the train.

mudcake42

HSC
So to get the 20% off, do you just pay macquarie 80% of what your 'debt amount' says on e-student. and they won't fine you or anything?

mserica

HSC
Yes thats exactly right, though I paid mine earlier this week as I think the cut off is today or tomorrow..

You just pay online and your estudent finances will be updated within a day or two

mudcake42

HSC
and with that, I've noticed that you don't have to pay for both semesters but only the first. So if I pay 80% of the first semester fees, does the government still see it was paying 80% or do I need to pay for both semesters?

mserica

HSC
you only pay for semester one this time around and then come July you will need to pay for semester two.

Hope this helps..

mudcake42

HSC
yeh cheers it does. Finally payed my fees today! now lets hope it all goes through by the due date...

HSC
heyz

well about the fees, all I did was fill out that hecs form thing + provided my TFN + chose the option that i want them to pay my full student fee.

so im fine with the payments? I dont have to deposit or pay anything up front?

yeah I dont really understand how the payment thing works :eek:

*Baby-K*

HSC
heyz

well about the fees, all I did was fill out that hecs form thing + provided my TFN + chose the option that i want them to pay my full student fee.

so im fine with the payments? I dont have to deposit or pay anything up front?

yeah I dont really understand how the payment thing works :eek:
Yah you are fine with the payments. Although if you log into your e-student it will show that it's overdue in red- ignore it.

On the top it says:
"Providing you have supplied your Tax File Number to the University, your HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP debt will be transferred to the Australian Taxation Office approximately 2 weeks after the relevant census date.
If this applies to you please ignore overdue fee transactions that are shown in red until this transfer occurs."

HSC
Yah you are fine with the payments. Although if you log into your e-student it will show that it's overdue in red- ignore it.

On the top it says:
"Providing you have supplied your Tax File Number to the University, your HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP debt will be transferred to the Australian Taxation Office approximately 2 weeks after the relevant census date.
If this applies to you please ignore overdue fee transactions that are shown in red until this transfer occurs."
cool thanks :cake:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)