Fellow Uni Hopefuls...HECS or Full Fee? (1 Viewer)

What do u plan to do about uni fees?

• Full fees...need those 5 extra UAI points, man!

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • HECS upfront...best option I could think of

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • HECS pay later...too broke atm

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • As if I'd pay fees to go to uni! I'm not even going!

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Dash
Whats the difference with paying HECS upfront and HECS later...

Is there any advantage with paying it upfront???

EDIT: And one more thing, with paying the full fee...
What if the course is over a period of 5 years?
Do we have to pay 16K every year?
whats the difference between hecs up front and full fee?

malayz_angel

Well I want to get into arts/law for example: let's just say that's costing $17000 as a course. Paying full fee would mean paying $17000 every year that I was in the course. However by paying HECS upfront, you only pay about $6000 per year and get a 20-25% discount. The main difference besides the cost is that full fee payers can get an extra 5 points on their UAI. Eg. if law is 99.6 at Usyd, a full fee payer can get in with around 95/96

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
hmm.. so which one is better i the long run?
like i'd want the marks if i depserately want it.. but under hecs..we have to pay back government through our jobs yeah? and full fee.. its gone.. like we dont have to pay gvenement..?

tash

lalalala
HSC
if you pay full fee then if you decide to drop out of the course do you get a refund? i'm doing hecs pay later, unless my parent decide to be nice and pay them upfront

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
It is worth paying up front if you can, the discount is worth it, and adds up over 4 years of UNI! I've paid my first year up front, but I think I'll have to defer from here on in.
Also, If you don't have quite enough to pay up-front for the whole semester, you can chose to defer part of the payment, and pay part up front. (you need to pay a minimum of $500, I think.) The part you pay up front will be discounted the 25%, but the part you pay later will be at the full price.

Musegirl

HSC
N/A
Im paying HECS (well, that is IF i get into uni), all the Undergraduate courses in UoW are HECS courses

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Haha, and now the government's saying "oh now you have to pay it all back in three years" (or something). Haha tops!

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by malayz_angel
Well I want to get into arts/law for example: let's just say that's costing $17000 as a course. Paying full fee would mean paying $17000 every year that I was in the course. However by paying HECS upfront, you only pay about $6000 per year and get a 20-25% discount. The main difference besides the cost is that full fee payers can get an extra 5 points on their UAI. Eg. if law is 99.6 at Usyd, a full fee payer can get in with around 95/96
So basically we end up paying like 4 times as much for the course that we apply for on a fee based course!
That rips!

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I can't believe how many people here plan on paying full fee! Almost as many as HECS-upfront people.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
we have to pay back government through our jobs yeah? and full fee.. its gone.. like we dont have to pay gvenement..?
yeah if u pay full fee its gone but you end up paying a fortune!!!! with hecs you can pay it upfront OR you can get them to deduct it from your salary once you finish uni and get a job.... i know a few teachers who are still paying their hecs fees... but fuck man if you get the uai to do hecs... do it... why waste extra money!!!!

Yami

If I get a good UAI, I'll stick to HECS. If I mess up, then my parents are going to step in and pay full fees. So I have a bit of a safety margin.

malayz_angel

Originally posted by Yami
If I get a good UAI, I'll stick to HECS. If I mess up, then my parents are going to step in and pay full fees. So I have a bit of a safety margin.
Oh...see why can't my parents be nice like yours? Have you put in your prefs already Yami? What's the lowest UAI (hecs) u can afford to get?

Yami

Yeah I put in prefs already, and I really want to get that Ancient History Honours at Macquarie. I'm not sure what you mean by the 'lowest UAI I can afford to get'. I put in a preference at UWS, so my lowest UAI goes to the 60s zone. I'm not sure if that is what you mean, though.

Yami

It's a new course, so I don't know yet. But when I visited Macquarie they said you'll probably need a UAI of 86+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)