Fermentation of glucose... HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

vicksta

HSC
I was away when our class did the fermentation prac, and i got notes from a friend but subsequently lost them... could somebody please outline the procedure for "monitoring mass changes during the fermentation of glucose to ethanol" for me?? thanks!!

melt18

HSC
i did this prac but lost the write up and cant remember anything about it. my teacher told me that it is going 2 b in my trials and i dont have a clue PLEASE HELP someone.

vicksta

HSC
Thankyou soooo much!
Ive already had my trial and thank god fermentation wasnt in it, but im sure ill need to know it for the hsc!!
How did you guys' trials go? Mine was surprisingly good!

edd91

HSC
Do you think the limewater is neccessary? It doesn't ask you to identify the gas released

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
edd91 said:
Do you think the limewater is neccessary? It doesn't ask you to identify the gas released
when monitoring mass changes, u need provisions to do so, CO<sub>2 <sub> was released so, u need some liquid to absorb it. hence we must measure the mass of the lime bef and aft u do the prac

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
vicksta said:
I was away when our class did the fermentation prac, and i got notes from a friend but subsequently lost them... could somebody please outline the procedure for "monitoring mass changes during the fermentation of glucose to ethanol" for me?? thanks!!
if u dont understand, ask your teacher to allow u to do the prac in ur spare time,
YA Bludger :D !

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
S_Kaye said:
Method

1. Place the fermentation mixture of sugar, water, salt and yeast into the larger container and swirl to mix. Weigh the container and contents and attached equipment for transferring gas.
I'm getting a memory blank here. What is the salt used for?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
mushroom_head said:
^ i think i'm losing my memory too. i don't recall putting any salt in the mixture
believe tis a play on idea (ie, makin some cake, hence puttin in salt... )

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
tina_goes_doo said:
I'm getting a memory blank here. What is the salt used for?
The pinch of salt just makes the stuff sweeter... so unless you want to stress about ionic balance or other biology issues, salt isn't required to make the reaction go.

me-mfhs

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks alot ! =] lol, mines [this prac] not that urgent its just hw that doesn't go towards anything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)