few questions (1 Viewer)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
hey pplz, i'm starting 2nd year this year, i'm just not sure on some stuff, this may be helpful for 1st year students aswell. i already am enrolled and all, but i'm thinking of submitting program variation form. i have 2 electives this year, i sorta am stuck on what elective means, does it mean the "Alternate" units suggested in the handbook, suggested for first year, or does it mean u can select anything from any course? like i'm in med sci, can i select something from businesss ( i won't, but is this possible?)
also, when it says course is retired, and there is a new version of the same course, can u select majors from the new course?
many thanks.

Hanzo

HSC
electives means you can choose any subject to study .. usually from any faculty..
however youd be wasting your electives if you did loose subjects that have nothing to do with your course or major
my advice to u is.. (since your doing med sci).. you should choose medsci related subjects to put your degree on more emphasis on med sci. or science..
also in most cases 8 subjects from a certain field makes up a major
and 4 subjects makes up a submajor
so choose your electives carefully
consult our handbook to see which subjects you need to do to form a major or submajor

peace^^

klh

HSC
if your course is retired, than have you transferred to the new course yet? or are you still doing ht eretired course? i think you will need to confirm with your course cordinater for that one.

Electives, unless otherwise specified, can be any unit you want to choose as long as you meets its prerequisites [subjects you need to do before doing it] and/or corequisites [units you need to do at the same time with th eunit in question]. firstly see your coordinater.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
thx everyone, will see co-ordinator soon. for the course though, in the handbook it says course retired, avaliable only to continuing students. like the major names have changed a bit, and the course was called 3577.1, now it's called 3577.2 so i don't know if i shoul'dve chosen sujbects from the first one or the second one :S
but for elective, say i chose anything, does it have to be on my campus? or would i need approval for another campus?

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If your doing a retired course, the subjects still run, until everyone has graduated from that course, my course is retired too.

You can do majors from the new course for your old course, some of the subjects you would have already done though. Choose the subjects from your old course, because thats the one that your enroled in, follow that structure, but if there are new subjects in the new course that you want to do, you can do them.

As for electives - you can choose subjects from any campus, sometimes you need permission to do it off your home campus, other times you don't, depends really on the lecturer and the people at the student centre. I just usually send an email to the lecturer for the subject I want to do and the student centre is pretty cool about that.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
awesome. thank u guys v much, i have found some more questions lol, when chosing an elective, can it be on any level suitable for undergrads? and what happens at seminars? is it just discussion?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yes, you can choose any level for undergrads - 1 to 3.

Seminars are just usually discussion type thingos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)