Fight Club (1 Viewer)

neversaynever

HSC
hey man i'm doing fight club for my upcoming assessment, comparing it with the crucible..

i havent really started analysing it but when i was watching it seemed like there was sooo much to relate to belonging.....

like the one's you've mentioned plus many more, such as how he joins all of those anonymous groups, to find a sense of belonging despite that he doesnt actually belong there.

and i was just reading over quotes today and here's one i thought really helped....

"i am jacks inflamed sense of rejection"

plus theres a couple of other quotes that work really well.

also as someone mentioned earlier the exclusiveness of fight club, restricting it only to men as he says "i've found a new one, for men only"

so yeah....i'm pretty interested in finding some more depth in it...

be really interested to see some notes from that one person earlier who showed an insight into a postmodern approach to it??

Raysian

HSC
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

hingec

HSC
Yeah, try the book. Unless you actually want to write about how the movie industry changed the text (which works well sometimes).
The project I did on it was connecting it to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I can link people to it if anyone really wants to read it..
For Belonging I'm going for Aboriginal literature, really quite powerful stuff, i like it a lot.

sophie.p

HSC
i was just looking around for stuff on fight club because im thinking of doing it as a related text too. my problem was that i wasnt sure how seriously markers would take it. i love the movie and i think it really does have some great belonging concepts but yeah not sure how keen teachers would be, especially if they hadnt seen the movie.
Really though if you do a great analysis of it i dont think it will matter. im just starting to look around but if come up with anything ill let you know :)

sophie.p

HSC
would you be able to link that to me? it sounds really interesting! thanks mate

jennieTalia

HSC
I want one of my elected texts for belonging to be Fight Club the movie.

Does anyone have any ideas that can help me? e.g film techniques or lines of the movie or anaysis of the plot.

I was along the lines of the main character doesnt belong to society but he makes it so he belongs in fight club needing some acceptance in his life etc etc.

Thanks
Belonging aspects:
How belonging to two groups simultaneously may not be appropriate- work vs fight club
the group you belong to can begin to control you
How belonging can mean conformity and acting as a single unit.
There are parts of us that want to belong, and parts that do not, this is often explored through the duality due to the split personality of Tyler vs narrator

Rules are continually repeated. This is an interesting device.
Narrator is unnamed
Voice Over, shows his single mindset that begins to echo the others throughout, and then returns to his own voice again. Does he estrange himself from the original sense of belonging?

Idea of conformity is expressed throughout. "Copy of a copy of a copy", the way the recruits for Project Mayhem all wear the same, cut their hair the same way, say the same stuff etc. This idea of a uniform is also seen through work and the tie, suit etc. This costuming device is used to show the issues of belonging to two very opposing groups, particularly as the boundaries blur between them- the suit loses the tie, the sound of the papers falling onto the desk is overlayed with the noise of the bath tub, Tyler is flickered into his work place etc.

The character of Marla- does she belong in any sense?

Labels- "terrorist organisation". "generation of men raised by women". These all suggest groups and belonging.

United front as the camera cuts between the fight club members who go to support Tyler and "I'm fucking Lou, who the fuck are you?".

The intersplicing of shots where people nod at the narrator, or call him sir, continually give the sense of him being surrounded... but the sense of "belonging" changes to a sense of being "controlled" or just swamped by all these people.

There's a tonne more, PM me if you want them, but I'm sort of tired at the moment.

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
I reckon Fight Club would be a great text for belonging AOS

u can argue so much, most points are already mentieond by the post above, but also the theme of being a group of disilusioned people pissed off at the materialism and consumerism that has engulfed their generation... and the exclusivity and esoteric of the club itself.

Rule 1: you do not talk about Fight Club
Rule 2: you do NOT talk about Fight Club :D

yazatron

HSC
I used fight club for my modern gothic speech last year in extension and got full marks,
so I'm planning on adapting it as a related text in my belonging essay.
I think its perfect. It has everything that relates to the ideas that make and break a sense of belonging.

Oh and I found out today its great to link the Narrator/Tyler Durden to the sort of dramatic irony used in As You Like It with Rosalind/Ganymede.

Good luck :)

OscarMore? Phew

HSC
I'm doing fight club for my support text and it really is a great text to do, there a so many different kinds of belonging or the need to belonging and not belonging in it. Anyone who says its shit either hasnt seen it or hasn't really looked. Also for anyone doing the crucible as ur provided text, theres a good parallel between proctor and Jack(the narrator) with him fighting against the conformist ways of the society (Salem/Project Mayhem). And also with Abigail and Jack with her gaining power in her own little world and Jack creating Fight club with tyler where they are the leaders. I probably havent worded it all very well cause im tired and have an english exam tomorro w morning yay lol.

hopethisworks

Banned
North Manly Beach Sexual Preference: Centaur Bans
HSC
N/A
I want one of my elected texts for belonging to be Fight Club the movie.

Does anyone have any ideas that can help me? e.g film techniques or lines of the movie or anaysis of the plot.

I was along the lines of the main character doesnt belong to society but he makes it so he belongs in fight club needing some acceptance in his life etc etc.

Thanks
this was still considered a great idea in 1978

tanika

HSC
hmmmm i disagree, as long as you do it right with your own take on the movie you can do it well. i did it as one of my related texts along with nineteen minutes by jodi picoult.

for my assessment i did with fight club i got 95% and the teachers a harsh harsh marker it can work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)