Fight Club (1 Viewer)

V

vanbasten

Who has read it?

Whats better, do you think, the movie or the book?

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I can't remember if I've read the book? I know I borrowed it.

IF I have read the book, the movie was better...

Macccca

wazzlewoozle
just finished reading it yesterday.

the main difference with the book and the movie is the ending.i like the ending of the book better, it seemed more approprite

spoiler

the book ending with him in hospital fitted it alot better as it is what he deserved, he was schitzophrenic and he did shoot himself in the face. the whole heaven/hospital thing was brilliant, keeping the reader thiking till the final words what the outcome really was gave it a nice tough.

all in all a very good book, turned into a very good movie. id advise both to be see/read.

im now reading all of chuck palaniuk's books, with lullaby and fightclub, ive jsut started on surviror, all great reads so far :)

walrusbear

HSC
yeah i agree fully

the book is amazing and the film is an excellent adaptation

palahniuk's other books are really cool too. survivor is probably his best, out of the ones i've read.

V

vanbasten

good to see someone who finally admires palahniuk's work.

leikWHOA

I thought the book was better, but the film did have the added plus of Brad Pitt ;) I saw the film before I read the book, so I suppose I had in my mind what I thought/wanted the book to be like. The one thing that bugged me (and this is so petty) is that in the film it was "I am JACKS smirking revenge" and in the book it was JOES. Why would they change the name? Not that is really of any meaning or anything, but it just wigged me.

And yeah, Survivor is my favorite of his other books, and I also loved Lullaby. I haven't read Diary - has anyone here read it yet? I hear it's great.

DeepDarkRose

HSC
i read the book after seeing the movie, and i think i like the movie better... i guess its probably only cause i saw that first, but i think that the way it showed the story was better... i can't remember much now, but i remember thinking how in the book, when the narrator realises the truth, he realises it too easily or something... i cant remember, i just think that the movie showed that part better... as to the ending, i dont mind either one, but i heard somewhere that the author, when he saw the movie ending, he said he liked it better than the way he had written it... wonder if its true...

Katjif

pondering dystopic life
HSC
Fight Club is officially my favourite book. I've read, well, lots, and it's number one. Of course, the movie is a brilliant adaptation, even Chuck liked it but it's just not the book!
The only part i object to in the movie, is the naming of the character. You'll notice that in the book, he was simply the "narrator" which i liked, yet in the film he is "Jack".

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Katjif said:
Fight Club is officially my favourite book. I've read, well, lots, and it's number one. Of course, the movie is a brilliant adaptation, even Chuck liked it but it's just not the book!
The only part i object to in the movie, is the naming of the character. You'll notice that in the book, he was simply the "narrator" which i liked, yet in the film he is "Jack".
they never actually specifically named him jack in the movie, it was just those parts where he talked about how 'i am jacks yada yada'. he is actually 'narrator' in the films ending credits

Tusitula

cute (ugly but adorable)
HSC
I loved fight club the first time i read it. The adaptation was even better.

I reckon it was easy for the adaptation to include "Jack" when Norton's character is reading the stories of organs in the 1st person. I am Jack's oblongata, I am jill's nipples.

Favourite quote from the book?
"After a night in fight club, eveything in the real world gets the volume turned down. Nothing can piss you off. Your word is law, and if other people break that law, or question you, even that doesn't piss you off."

Last edited:

Katjif

pondering dystopic life
HSC
My favourite bit

Here's my favourite bit (novel, not the movie)

"With my tongue I can feel the silencer holes we drilled into the barrel of the gun. Most of the noise a gunshot makes is expanding gases, and there's the tiny sonic boom a bullet makes because it travels to fast. To make a silencer, you just drill holes in the barrel of the gun, a lot of holes. This lets the gas escape and slow the bullet to below the speed of sound."

Also, has anyone seen 25th hour? There's a monologue in the movie (that's not in the novel) that is brilliant HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

[Spoken by Ed Norton]

(Monty walks into the bathroom. He looks in the mirror. In the bottom corner, someone's written Fuck You!)
Monty: Yeah, fuck you, too.
Monty's Reflection: Fuck me? Fuck you! Fuck you and this whole city and everyone in it.
Fuck the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back.
Fuck squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car. Get a fucking job!
Fuck the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores and stinking up my day. Terrorists in fucking training. Slow the fuck down!
Fuck the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped up biceps. Going down on each other in my parks and on my piers, jingling their dicks on my Channel 35.
Fuck the Korean grocers with their pyramids of overpriced fruit and their tulips and roses wrapped in plastic. Ten years in the country, still no speaky English?
Fuck the Russians in Brighton Beach. Mobster thugs sitting in cafés, sipping tea in little glasses, sugar cubes between their teeth. Wheelin' and dealin' and schemin'. Go back where you fucking came from!
Fuck the black-hatted Chassidim, strolling up and down 47th street in their dirty gabardine with their dandruff. Selling South African apartheid diamonds!
Fuck the Wall Street brokers. Self-styled masters of the universe. Michael Douglas, Gordon Gecko wannabe mother fuckers, figuring out new ways to rob hard working people blind. Send those Enron assholes to jail for fucking life! You think Bush and Cheney didn't know about that shit? Give me a fucking break! Tyco! Imclone! Adelphia! Worldcom!
Fuck the Puerto Ricans. 20 to a car, swelling up the welfare rolls, worst fuckin' parade in the city. And don't even get me started on the Dom-in-i-cans, because they make the Puerto Ricans look good.
Fuck the Bensonhurst Italians with their pomaded hair, their nylon warm-up suits, and their St. Anthony medallions. Swinging their, Jason Giambi, Louisville slugger, baseball bats, trying to audition for the Sopranos.
Fuck the Upper East Side wives with their Hermés scarves and their fifty-dollar Balducci artichokes. Overfed faces getting pulled and lifted and stretched, all taut and shiny. You're not fooling anybody, sweetheart!
Fuck the uptown brothers. They never pass the ball, they don't want to play defense, they take fives steps on every lay-up to the hoop. And then they want to turn around and blame everything on the white man. Slavery ended one hundred and thirty seven years ago. Move the fuck on!
Fuck the corrupt cops with their anus violating plungers and their 41 shots, standing behind a blue wall of silence. You betray our trust!
Fuck the priests who put their hands down some innocent child's pants. Fuck the church that protects them, delivering us into evil. And while you're at it, fuck JC! He got off easy! A day on the cross, a weekend in hell, and all the hallelujahs of the legioned angels for eternity! Try seven years in fuckin Otisville, Jay!
Fuck Osama Bin Laden, Alqueda, and backward-ass, cave-dwelling, fundamentalist assholes everywhere. On the names of innocent thousands murdered, I pray you spend the rest of eternity with your seventy-two whores roasting in a jet-fueled fire in hell. You towel headed camel jockeys can kiss my royal, Irish ass!
Fuck Jacob Elinski, whining malcontent.
Fuck Francis Xavier Slaughtery, my best friend, judging me while he stares at my girlfriend's ass.
Fuck Naturel Rivera. I gave her my trust and she stabbed me in the back. Sold me up the river. Fucking bitch.
Fuck my father with his endless grief, standing behind that bar. Sipping on club soda, selling whiskey to firemen and cheering the Bronx Bombers.
Fuck this whole city and everyone in it. From the row houses of Astoria to the penthouses on Park Avenue. From the projects in the Bronx to the lofts in Soho. From the tenements in Alphabet City to the brownstones in Park slope to the split levels in Staten Island. Let an earthquake crumble it. Let the fires rage. Let it burn to fuckin ash then let the waters rise and submerge this whole, rat-infested place.
Monty: No. No, fuck you, Montgomery Brogan. You had it all and then you threw it away, you dumb fuck!
(He takes a breath and tries to rub away the words.)

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
the fight club book is AWESOME
the movie is awesome but as not as awesome as the book

anyone read any other palahniuk books?, ive read survivor (v.good), invisible monsters (v.good) and choke (not as good but still good)

Last edited:

Tusitula

cute (ugly but adorable)
HSC
i love the bit in the movie after their talking about douvets

Jack : Like martha stewart?
Tyler : Fuck martha stewart. Marth's polishing ht ebrass on the titanic; it's all going down man.

walrusbear

HSC
Katjif said:
Here's my favourite bit (novel, not the movie)

"With my tongue I can feel the silencer holes we drilled into the barrel of the gun. Most of the noise a gunshot makes is expanding gases, and there's the tiny sonic boom a bullet makes because it travels to fast. To make a silencer, you just drill holes in the barrel of the gun, a lot of holes. This lets the gas escape and slow the bullet to below the speed of sound."

Also, has anyone seen 25th hour? There's a monologue in the movie (that's not in the novel) that is brilliant HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

[Spoken by Ed Norton]

(Monty walks into the bathroom. He looks in the mirror. In the bottom corner, someone's written Fuck You!)
Monty: Yeah, fuck you, too.
Monty's Reflection: Fuck me? Fuck you! Fuck you and this whole city and everyone in it.
Fuck the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back.
Fuck squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car. Get a fucking job!
Fuck the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores and stinking up my day. Terrorists in fucking training. Slow the fuck down!
Fuck the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped up biceps. Going down on each other in my parks and on my piers, jingling their dicks on my Channel 35.
Fuck the Korean grocers with their pyramids of overpriced fruit and their tulips and roses wrapped in plastic. Ten years in the country, still no speaky English?
Fuck the Russians in Brighton Beach. Mobster thugs sitting in cafés, sipping tea in little glasses, sugar cubes between their teeth. Wheelin' and dealin' and schemin'. Go back where you fucking came from!
Fuck the black-hatted Chassidim, strolling up and down 47th street in their dirty gabardine with their dandruff. Selling South African apartheid diamonds!
Fuck the Wall Street brokers. Self-styled masters of the universe. Michael Douglas, Gordon Gecko wannabe mother fuckers, figuring out new ways to rob hard working people blind. Send those Enron assholes to jail for fucking life! You think Bush and Cheney didn't know about that shit? Give me a fucking break! Tyco! Imclone! Adelphia! Worldcom!
Fuck the Puerto Ricans. 20 to a car, swelling up the welfare rolls, worst fuckin' parade in the city. And don't even get me started on the Dom-in-i-cans, because they make the Puerto Ricans look good.
Fuck the Bensonhurst Italians with their pomaded hair, their nylon warm-up suits, and their St. Anthony medallions. Swinging their, Jason Giambi, Louisville slugger, baseball bats, trying to audition for the Sopranos.
Fuck the Upper East Side wives with their Hermés scarves and their fifty-dollar Balducci artichokes. Overfed faces getting pulled and lifted and stretched, all taut and shiny. You're not fooling anybody, sweetheart!
Fuck the uptown brothers. They never pass the ball, they don't want to play defense, they take fives steps on every lay-up to the hoop. And then they want to turn around and blame everything on the white man. Slavery ended one hundred and thirty seven years ago. Move the fuck on!
Fuck the corrupt cops with their anus violating plungers and their 41 shots, standing behind a blue wall of silence. You betray our trust!
Fuck the priests who put their hands down some innocent child's pants. Fuck the church that protects them, delivering us into evil. And while you're at it, fuck JC! He got off easy! A day on the cross, a weekend in hell, and all the hallelujahs of the legioned angels for eternity! Try seven years in fuckin Otisville, Jay!
Fuck Osama Bin Laden, Alqueda, and backward-ass, cave-dwelling, fundamentalist assholes everywhere. On the names of innocent thousands murdered, I pray you spend the rest of eternity with your seventy-two whores roasting in a jet-fueled fire in hell. You towel headed camel jockeys can kiss my royal, Irish ass!
Fuck Jacob Elinski, whining malcontent.
Fuck Francis Xavier Slaughtery, my best friend, judging me while he stares at my girlfriend's ass.
Fuck Naturel Rivera. I gave her my trust and she stabbed me in the back. Sold me up the river. Fucking bitch.
Fuck my father with his endless grief, standing behind that bar. Sipping on club soda, selling whiskey to firemen and cheering the Bronx Bombers.
Fuck this whole city and everyone in it. From the row houses of Astoria to the penthouses on Park Avenue. From the projects in the Bronx to the lofts in Soho. From the tenements in Alphabet City to the brownstones in Park slope to the split levels in Staten Island. Let an earthquake crumble it. Let the fires rage. Let it burn to fuckin ash then let the waters rise and submerge this whole, rat-infested place.
Monty: No. No, fuck you, Montgomery Brogan. You had it all and then you threw it away, you dumb fuck!
(He takes a breath and tries to rub away the words.)
i really liked 25th hour, and that monologue was obviously the coolest moment :p

chandelier

In order, Fight Club then Survivor +Invisible Monsters (Can't decide), Lullaby, and then Choke which was a little more exitentailist than his others, but wasn't as good.
I would say that Fight Club the movie is one of the very few rare cases were it holds its own and is just as good as the book. I like the ending of the book better too, I think the ending of the movie was obligatorily positive ( in a twisted way), the original ending fit in better.
And that's my two cents.....
btw, Palahniuk is definitley on of the few good contemporary modern authors, my exten. 2 MW is based around his style!

V

vanbasten

Cool. Let us see your nihilistic visions when your done.

chandelier

Yay!!!! finished! My 'nihilsitic visons' in all its glory.
Since my work is directed at an audience who are familiar with Palahniuk's work I though it would be appropiate if I posted it here instead of the exten. 2 forum.
Unfortunatley, I'm not too comfortable presenting my work publicly (yes, it is insecure paranoia - how Palahniuk-esque lol) But, I would def. appreciate any and all (more precisely I'm desperate) feedback both negative or positive. So pm with ur email add. and I'll send it to you - it's fine family fun, I promise!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)