• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Film Script - formatting/ wrd. limit (1 Viewer)

hugo

Just some brief questions to anyone else who is doing a film script;

How many words does your piece add up to in total?

What font are you using, and what size?

The syllabus says we should use ariel or times new in size 12 with double spacing, however the syllabus also says we should use the appropriate conventions, which I have found to be courier new at size 10 with single spacing.

The latter roughly means that the average page will be of 235 words so then complying by the 'one page per minute rule', the total length will be 7000 or so words.

Compared to a double spaced, size 12 times new script, complying to the same rule of a page/min, there is a 2000 word diff. as the average page is roughly 140 wrds in length.

None of my teachers have been able to give me a straight answer. I was hoping someone out there is dealing with the same issue. The syllabus specifications are confusing and frustrating.

BTW I have attached a sample of my format.

hugo

And just another question; in writing your visual description how direct have you been?

I have occasionally succumb to the temptation to write in metaphor, which sounds good on the page, but is completely impratical and pretentious if anyone actually wanted to produce as a real film. I have found that the medium in some respects, limits my 'literary' expressiveness, and I wonder if markers look for such traditional elements, or if they think and mark the way a producer would actually recieve a screenplay in the reel world.

Yes, that was a pun.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
ah hugo, mate, i faced all the same dilemmas... ended up sticking with the Times New Roman 12... and ignored the one page per minute thing... ended up with 41 pages, which should be ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)