• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Final Fantasy X as a related text (1 Viewer)

Jinzo

HSC
I'm planning to use Final Fantasy X (which is a video game on PS2) as a related text...is it a bad idea to use a video game? would anyone have any notes?

Hemi

HSC
i think that its a great idea.
i asked my teacher if doing madagascar was a good idea and she told me i would get half the mark of what i would usually get if i did that as my related text. I dont know whyyyyyyy but she told me not to do animations.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
KandyKid05 said:
i think that its a great idea.
i asked my teacher if doing madagascar was a good idea and she told me i would get half the mark of what i would usually get if i did that as my related text. I dont know whyyyyyyy but she told me not to do animations.
The main reason why your teacher said that is because it's quite difficult to find many techniques in an animated text. However I do know someone that's doing Ice Age as their related text, but that's because the journey is very significant in the film.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
The main reason why your teacher said that is because it's quite difficult to find many techniques in an animated text. However I do know someone that's doing Ice Age as their related text, but that's because the journey is very significant in the film.

yeah i agree, but you could use the movie scenes and write about the techniques used ...

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
it is also hard to let the marker gettin an idea of wat the animation is like
(since they r mostly middle age)

also i think the whole pt of findin related material is to get u to study english more,..so dont think animation is that literate enough

albeit that, my frd did a computer game, and he aced it. ~ soyea.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
another technique that i thought of is how you can control the character, which allows you experience the journey his taking part in.

HSC
Argonaut said:
I'm a Final Fantasy demi-god and I say NO. There's nothing in the English syllabus that sets out guidelines for studying games so you could easily miss elements that would be considered critical. Besides, while Yuna's pilgrimage is a journey, the plot is very complex and involved, with plenty of twists. Explaining some of the key concepts - such as Fayth, Aeons, the Unsent and Zanarkand - would take up too much space in an essay and while they're crucial plot elements and would probably be necessary in such an essay, they don't really add to the concept of the journey. You realy have to play the game to be able to understand it fully - I could write up a detailed synopsis of everything relevant that happens and an outsider would be completely lost probably by the time they got to Tidus' conversation with Auron at the docks in Luca. Which teacher is going to play a video game just to understand a student's essay?

Besides (and most importantly) it would look like you're shirking off study simply to play video games. FFX is a long game - 50 hours for me to get to the final battles with Sin - so unless you've played it through several times and/or have access to the game script (which isn't that difficult) you're not going to be able to do much. Plus, there's a lot of the actual game that isn't really part of Yuna's pilgrimage - Operation Mi'ihen springs to mind, plus the tournament in Luca and the trip to the Farplane in Guadosalam - and it would be easy to get caught up in these parts when you don't need to.

So I'll say it again: don't use a video game as an ORT. It jsut looks like you're not taking Year 12 seriously and would rather play games than study. That's how I'd see it if I were a teacher.

ahh well said. FFX sure is a large, well-designed RPG though! but yeah as argo mentioned, its such an in-depth, complicated plot (i've played through FFX 3 times and i still don't fully understand everything about the game), it would be most difficult to include such material in an essay and succeed.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
another technique that i thought of is how you can control the character, which allows you experience the journey his taking part in.
Also some RPG games have multiple ways to play through the game, therefore the way you play will affect the character's journey, and that can be considered a technique in addition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)