Final Internal Assessment Marks (1 Viewer)

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
There's a bit of confusion at my school surrounding exactly how the final internal assessment marks are calculated. We get First Semester and Second Semester reports which have two different internal marks based on the cumulative assessment marks in those periods (December-May and May-August respectively). Some are saying that the school works out our final internal mark by averaging the two marks from these reports, for example:

First Semester: 82
Second Semester: 89
82+89 = 171
171/2 = 85.5 which would round up to a final internal mark of 86

However others are arguing that the final internals are calculated by working out all the assessment marks over the entire year and their weightings. By this, they say, you will get a raw mark out of 100 which is then moderated.

If it is the latter, then the above scenario will result in a mark of 88 not 86 (cannot be bothered to post all the assessments, weightings etc but it works out to be 88) enhancing the person's ability to get a Band 6 overall.

Any help in answering this would be appreciated!
Thanks

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
fallenstar said:
However others are arguing that the final internals are calculated by working out all the assessment marks over the entire year and their weightings. By this, they say, you will get a raw mark out of 100 which is then moderated.
pretty sure that that's how it works.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
well actually there is a little bit of leeway.. where the school can modify the marks. at the end of the day they just need to ensure the rank order and relative differences between students reflect that of the assessment results.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
me121 said:
well actually there is a little bit of leeway.. where the school can modify the marks. at the end of the day they just need to ensure the rank order and relative differences between students reflect that of the assessment results.
But don't the relative differences between students depend on how the assessment results are worked out in the first place? If they are worked out the first way (see initial post) then relative differences can be, for some, greater than the second way. Argh. I just hope it is the second way as people's responses have indicated.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
fallenstar said:
But don't the relative differences between students depend on how the assessment results are worked out in the first place? If they are worked out the first way (see initial post) then relative differences can be, for some, greater than the second way. Argh. I just hope it is the second way as people's responses have indicated.
yes, it probably would vary. though at the end of the day you will never know and won't be able to verify what they have done. its a shame. but there is just simply no transparency in the whole process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)