Finance Electives (1 Viewer)

volition

arr.
HSC
Ok, so I'm going into second year and I've done FINS1612 and FINS1613. From the cores, that leaves FINS2624 and FINS3616. Would you do these both in second semester of second year, or would it be better to delay doing 3616 til later(as in, would anything I learn in some other subject help me get a better mark in 3616)?

I'm doing a double major so I'll have 3 options to take from the finance major. Would anyone care to tell me more about some of the options?

Just from reading the website descriptions, I'm leaning towards doing 3 of these 4:
FINS2622 Emerging Capital Markets
FINS3625 Applied Corporate Finance
FINS3634 Credit Analysis and Lending
FINS3635 Options, Futures&Risk Mgmt

drmix

HSC
N/A
after doin fins1612 and fins1613...would it be wise to do them both in the same semster?

lizbon

HSC
ye, i think it's better to do the two cores together (they're not that hard) , they sorta complement each other(both aren't that hard, esp 2624)) , u'll be better prepared for the electives esp the more difficult ones e.g. ACF, IMM, SIM, security analysis.

the electives are purely up to individual interest/what field you wanna work in, i did options, futures and risk management this sem and it was quite interesting but the lecturer isn't that great.

lucifel

narcissitic angel
HSC
and kiddies, remember if you want to do honours, you need to do research methods.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i plan to do 3635, 3636, 3640, 3642 and and 3655. but anything could change.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
i plan to do 3635, 3636, 3640, 3642 and and 3655. but anything could change.
FINS3642 is offered every 2-years. It's also a purely project-based subject (3 major projects with no final exam).

So far I have done FINS3636 and FINS3640. I will probably do FINS3635, FINS3775 and ACTL3004 next year.

Although Finance@UNSW is strong at corporate finance and investment management, they need more subjects in derivatives and risk management.

trillylific

HSC
Hey folks,

Just wondering, has anyone done these courses this year or last year:

FINS2643 - Wealth Management
ACCT3563 - Issues in Fin. Reporting (e.g. Accounting 3A)

If you have, I'm interested to know what they were like, i.e. in terms of difficulty, how time-consuming, what the teaching was like etc. I'm especially interested to know more about ACCT3563 - I managed to get a credit in ACCT2542 (2b, Consolidation), but I don't wanna do any more consolidation crap (e.g. consolidation worksheets & acquisition entries - I sucked at it). Does this course continue on with the consolidation stuff or is it more about other acct standards?

Any comments on the above are greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong thread, but I figure at least a few of you finance people are accounting minors like me.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
No consolidation in 3A - However there is alot of AASB's (e.g. what the accounting treatment is for biological assets, RD, some EPS), as well as ethics and corporate collapses.

Wealth management is an easy course but too many assessments. A few quizzes, and big assignment. From what i hear.

trillylific

HSC
Thanks Grizzly,

So would you'd say that 3A would be a fair bit easier than 2B? I heard 2B was the most difficult course...

Anyone else done Wealth Management? The only reason why I'm thinking of doing it is that it counts toward PS146 (financial planning) accreditation.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
3A and 3B are far easier than 2B. No problems doing them at the same time if you choose to do so also.

And yes, if you plan to study at FINSIA or elsewhere for PS146 accreditation, it might be worthwhile in doing Wealth Management. It does rank lesser in difficulty compared to the equity/corporate banking subjects.

trillylific

HSC
thanks,

yea I imagined Wealth Mgmt would be easier than the IB stuff. I'm planning to major in the investment stream (which is mainly IB subjects), but I figure if I can get extra certification by doing a few wealth mgmt subjects, why not..

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
is BFM useful for anything? it sounds like a waste of time. im tossing up between that and applied macroeconomics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)