Finance Major overview (1 Viewer)

gilza95

HSC
Can anyone with experience or any knowledge about a B.Business majoring in finance give an overview.
What level of high school maths is sufficient? Is it very maths intensive, i.e mx1+?
Also what are the job prospects like on graduation?

SHuynhVP

HSC
I won't lie - job prospects are pretty grim. Even though the economy is doing well (relatively), unless you are the best of the best, it will be hard to find a job in I-Banking, or even institutional banking (NAB, Westpac, CBA only take around 8 grad in institutional banking a year).

However, if you are determined to get a job in I-Banking, make sure you work your ass off. You're gonna need good grades - at least a 75+ WAM, coupled with good extra curriculars.

Its an unfair comparison to compare finance mathematics with Advanced, MX1 or MX2. Quick run down -

The Financial System - intro to financial system - year 10 math. If you can do algebra, you will be fine. However it is content heavy.

Quantitative Business Analysis (first quants based subject) - Involves differentiation and integration, which is covered by Advanced. MX1 helps you slighty. QBA also involves econometrics, which is stats based quants and nothing like anything you would have studied. Because of this, no comparison can be made.

Investment analysis - if I could give you a HS subject equivalent, it would be Extension 9. I've seen very capable students do very poorly. Its a hard subject.

That being said though, a finance major is still pretty useful, even if you don't want to go into finance.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
For Quantitative Business Analysis is the Mid sem & finals all Multiple Choice? because that's what someone told me.

dizzlemizzle

HSC
I won't lie - job prospects are pretty grim. Even though the economy is doing well (relatively), unless you are the best of the best, it will be hard to find a job in I-Banking, or even institutional banking (NAB, Westpac, CBA only take around 8 grad in institutional banking a year).

However, if you are determined to get a job in I-Banking, make sure you work your ass off. You're gonna need good grades - at least a 75+ WAM, coupled with good extra curriculars.

Its an unfair comparison to compare finance mathematics with Advanced, MX1 or MX2. Quick run down -

The Financial System - intro to financial system - year 10 math. If you can do algebra, you will be fine. However it is content heavy.

Quantitative Business Analysis (first quants based subject) - Involves differentiation and integration, which is covered by Advanced. MX1 helps you slighty. QBA also involves econometrics, which is stats based quants and nothing like anything you would have studied. Because of this, no comparison can be made.

Investment analysis - if I could give you a HS subject equivalent, it would be Extension 9. I've seen very capable students do very poorly. Its a hard subject.

That being said though, a finance major is still pretty useful, even if you don't want to go into finance.
Thanks for the useful info, but is investment analysis really that hard, i did 2 unit and got an 81 you reckon its at least passable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)