Finance Options (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
FINS 3642 is offered every 2 yrs due to historically low enrollments.

Real Estate Finance is no longer offered as the lecturer has gone to work in the UK.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Grizzly said:
Sera; I think IMM is a pre-req for SIM (but u probably knew that)

Ive done real estate finance + options

RE is alright - no textbook, 3 hour lectures, but the exams are tricky

Options is pretty difficult in subject (although very interesting and practical!) - but im sure they dumb down the exams coz the average for the MS (worth 45) was a high credit.
Grizzly, r u changing to Com/Ec or heading off to work next yr?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
§eraphim said:
FINS 3642 is offered every 2 yrs due to historically low enrollments.

Real Estate Finance is no longer offered as the lecturer has gone to work in the UK.
Really?, for multiplex i think
heh - he wasn't that great a lecturer anyway.

@whoever asked, no, its not about personal RE/Mortgages , its more about commercial property development / leasing

Nah im working next year, and considering finsia.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
For those who have done Options, are the lectures any good,ie, worth attending? Or do they just read straight off the lecture slides that come with the Hull textbook (you can download them from Hull's website)?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
phrred said:
pretty useful if you wanna b an advanced trader
Oh comon,
the course is all theoretical, full of assumptions, with focus on how to make arbitraged profits which rarely exist anyway. The options strategies can be learned on ASX website - who really cares about working out c/p options using BS model and stat tables - and theres a bunch of other things in the course that is not practical.

In other words, fins3635 is only the "start" to derivative trading.

@Sera, lect notes are decent (but not so much the lectures). It's heavily summarised, so you need to rely on the book to things as well as doin the assignments.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Programmed trading eliminates nearly all obvious arbitrage.

Everyone needs to know the basics. Also, it's good to know the theory so you can write programs and make spreadsheets, as well provide a foundation to extend your knowledge through independent reading.

12-1 Tues

Last edited:

phrred

HSC
Grizzly said:
Oh comon,
the course is all theoretical, full of assumptions, with focus on how to make arbitraged profits which rarely exist anyway. The options strategies can be learned on ASX website - who really cares about working out c/p options using BS model and stat tables - and theres a bunch of other things in the course that is not practical.

In other words, fins3635 is only the "start" to derivative trading.

@Sera, lect notes are decent (but not so much the lectures). It's heavily summarised, so you need to rely on the book to things as well as doin the assignments.
i was talkin about real derivative trading not the course

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
our portfolio tutor was saying there was some shit hard course to avoid unless you really love your maths. I cant remember if it was IMM or SAV. Anyone have a clue of what it could be?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
im not so sure if i want to do finance anymore but i havent done a finance subject yet. which sub will give me a good indication of what to expect later on, cmi or business finance?

phrred

HSC
its a good introductory course. Some people really need it

someone asked why you would buy shares in a company that didnt give out dividends- people like that need it

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
1st yr is easy. no stress. shouldn't be complaining so much.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well when you get 52 in acct 1a you start questioning your (lack of) intelligence

turtleface

HSC
phrred said:
its a good introductory course. Some people really need it

someone asked why you would buy shares in a company that didnt give out dividends- people like that need it
I don't know the answer to that either.

Don't you think people (mainly retail investors I think) have lost the plot on why shares are purchased? Its all about buying in at a low price and trying to sell at a high price. Nobody seems to give a shit about returns on investment anymore. Its not even about investing anymore, more like speculation. No wonder nobody can predict the damn market.

FinANce

HSC
blackfriday said:
yeh i keep getting told that cmi is useless
CMI is like IBF, very fun, all about exchange rates, and can be extremely useful if you are interested in trading in the foreign stock markets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)