financial- case studies (1 Viewer)

Roors

HSC
Howdy felloroonies!!
hehe...me again!!
i'm just wondering....ok i'm doing Southcorp for my case study, and i'm just wondering what do we have to know for financial planning and management?
like...ive got the reports, do we have to know figures, or just that the nprofits decreased.....??
i ATTEMPTED asking some guy on the advice line, but he just went on about something else and started to read the syllabus for me :confused:
hehehe but yeh....anyone know?
also...is anyone else doing Southcorp?
coz i dont think it has very good stuff on ER. And i was just really gonna do southcorp, but now i guess i have to do something else as well. Anyone know where i can get stuff on such short notice, like just something brief and short, for backup?
thanks ppls!!!

Roors

HSC
who am i kidding i should have just really addressed the question to "truly in bliss" and "natstar" hehehehe

Last edited:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
hehe...me again!!
hey u again?! *runs away* hahah jk jk

what do we have to know for financial planning and management?
like...ive got the reports, do we have to know figures, or just that the nprofits decreased.....??

have u made notes with the syllabus in front of u? my best advice is to find some sort of facts and figures for each syllabus pt.... u should be able to find a bit for financial planning and magaement... i dunno what reports u have.....but try:

- ring them and ask for a student pack... and express deliver it if possible
- ring leading edge and get their southcorp stuff.
- go to their website and there should be soemthing there if my memory serves meeh correct
- go and find their annual report or quaterli report..u should be able to find soemthing...
- if u realli cant find ani...just bs reasonabli....make up some figures that doesnt sound too drastic.. or reflect the overall company performance..

i ATTEMPTED asking some guy on the advice line, but he just went on about something else and started to read the syllabus for me :confused:
yeah i would have done the same thing 2 ya... hahah

coz i dont think it has very good stuff on ER.
see above suggestion for finding more info on soutcorp

And i was just really gonna do southcorp, but now i guess i have to do something else as well. Anyone know where i can get stuff on such short notice, like just something brief and short, for backup?
u realli need more than one.... time is realli not running out....if u wanan do a good one..do some mining or mineral company..they are usualli good for syllabus style info....or for an easi way out..do maccas coca or pepsi....if i remember right...maccas and coca have their own book out....

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Hi ...

I'm probably going to render myself pretty useless... but here it goes:

No I dont think we need to know specific and extensive consolidated figures for each of our case studies - like you said ... just the general stuff. Like know if they've got poor liquidity, productivity, solvency ... and why ... and what they're trying to do about it. "Why+How" have they managed their finances is what the syllabus is asking you to do. Has their profit margin gone up? Is it because of decreased expenses? Can you think of anything specific financially that stands-out for your case-study? And if nothing does stand-out ... what is the business doing to ensure their finances are steady and improving?

Atleast that's what I'm doing - I suppose some idea of thier liquidity ratio and profitabilty (Just return on owners eq) ... but nothing to make it seem like I plan on being an accountant.

I'm not doing Southcorp... but that doesn't help you does it? Wouldn't they be a good one to do because their financial management position has been under so much sructiny "lately"?

For ER - I suggest Farifax Holdings and anything else you can think of that has had industrial action disputes that have been publicised - you'll get more information on them... for example: Morris McMahon and Patrick Stevedoring (Sp?) - you'll be able to find lots of archived articles online for these two. Also for ER - I think that it's best to think of any business you can think of that you know has positive things about their ER ... that way it'll be more publicised in archives of BRW or SMH. General case-studies ... I say go to QANTAS and HSBC - they have lots of comprehensive case-study things ... however they're quite detailed. Lots of sites have heaps of information on their websites, try Coke, Country Road, RM Williams ... but then again you'll have to wade through stuff.

If it's just an ER focus you're going for - go with the above mentioned, though a lot of people do them ... you'll be able to find short'n'sweet info on what their practices were before the industrial conflict, after the industrial conflict and obviously be able to assess they didn't have sound ER management because they were having conflicts. Also your textbook should have lots of on-the-side case-studies that you can always incorporate into your extended responses.

And as for back-up ... just think of any global business you know and find out what makes them distinct. E.g. ---> Lonely Planet is a global business, they have FDI with offices in UK, Aust, USA etc ... that they were driven by the need to develop new markets (pretty much any company) ... just look for examples around you that you already know - then fit it into your business framework.

And this has all been a lot of ramble that hasn't really done much ... sorry about that. Um, if I need to translate my ramble - tell me. Hope something helped.

Last edited:

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Oh sorry truly-in-bliss!

Well atleast Roors got some help!

Roors

HSC
*pushes truly-in-bliss out of the way*
wowwww....go Nupil!!!!
hehehe na i'm kidding, i can always rely on TIB hehehe (not bothered with the full name)
Thanks heaps guys....ur like my heroes....ok this is sooo cool, i like totally know what to do now...yeh and TIB my notes are from leading edge so they are in point form according to the syllabus.

OK...another ques...i was doing a prac long response today (i know- amazing) and yeh it asked about methods of international expansion....now southcorp only engage in exporting...so do i still like mention the rest and say southcorp only have exporting...or like what?

Oh yeh and Nupil....ur my new best friend...hehehe nah dont wanna scare u but ur help was heaps good...u had to see me taking notes...Thanks for the names of the businesses as well!
GOODLUCKKK!!!

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
well usualli i list textbook stuff... eg:

*the various ways of expansion included:

- zzz
- xccxvxc
- dsfsdfs

soutcopr engages in exporting.... (then go on in more detail abt exporting....a few sentences will do...dpeending on how whether method of expanion is worth half of the report..or just a minor proportion)

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
well usualli i list textbook stuff... eg:

*the various ways of expansion included:

- zzz
- xccxvxc
- dsfsdfs

Yeah, exactly what truly-in-bliss said ... that was our trial question - and I think with all this debate about "case-study" and "case-studies", whenever you mention each form of international expansion - throw in a side example.

E.g
*Exporting - Southcorp, a few sentences on it because it's your focus
* Licensing - Warner Brothers
* Management Contracts - Qantas
* FDI - Coca Cola with Coca Cola Amatil
* Franchising - Maccas, KFC etc

It adds to your report to put in side examples like that, with a greater focus on Southcorp as a reoccuring case-study with much more depth.

... Hope that helped. And no one will ever be able to top truly-in-bliss at this; she's in her element! And glad the other stuff was of use!

I actually have a question though ... for various types of financial global methods of payment - do you have case-studies?

Just wondering ... I dont really have any with a financial focus so I dont know any with 'methods of payments'

oh well; ta ra till next time.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i try to find a case study that suits the syllabus....not the other way around...so try to find a biz that suits one of the mehtods of payment...... but its hard to find a case study for each method of payment...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)