financial economics or economics (1 Viewer)

>> Lisa <<

HSC
Hey everyone, i'm doing a BEc and i want to do a double major. i want to do accounting as one major but for the other one i'm tossing up between financial economics or economics. which one will be a better combination with accounting?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

HSC
Wouldn't financial economics focus more on shares and sofourth?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
Wouldn't financial economics focus more on shares and sofourth?
Financial economics involves empirically tests economic theory and methods applied to financial markets.

Finance is more about learning about the products and markets and how to make money.

Financial economics is more practical than Fin Eco.

You should just do transfer to BCom and do Accounting & Finance.

HSC
I was thinking of doing financial economics in my econ part of my degree, perhaps i might just do plain economics?

Last edited:
is it good to major in economics, finance and financial economics? the financial economics teaches u to put the ec and fin into practice?

HSC
The thing is I am aiming to do something like investment banking, but I want to have knowledge of economics (supply and demand etc.), the law side of things and obviously finance.

So perhaps I should only do economics/finance/business law in my triple major?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
codereder said:
is it good to major in economics, finance and financial economics? the financial economics teaches u to put the ec and fin into practice?
My little rant: BCom/BEc is a stupid degree; it's just like a 4-yr Commerce degree. You should choose a combined degree that expands your knowledge with areas that complement one another, rather than do almost the same thing over and over again. eg. Finance and Computer Science is pretty good..but Finance and Financial Economics <-- the only benefit will be lots of textbook knowledge but no problem-solving skills.

Aside, ideally you should something different in that kind of combined degree. I think Actuarial Studies, Finance and Economics would be good because 2 of your exemption subjects would be count to your majors and the Economics department is strong at retirement economics (which is why they offer the subject Superannuation Benefits). Also, financial services encompass finance, investment and insurance so an actuarial studies major would be an asset.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
The thing is I am aiming to do something like investment banking, but I want to have knowledge of economics (supply and demand etc.), the law side of things and obviously finance.

So perhaps I should only do economics/finance/business law in my triple major?
Being a Jehovah's Witness is a liability in the real world.

You can't do maths so don't even think of investment banking.

Good Commerce majors are actuarial studies, finance and economics.

HSC
§eraphim said:
Being a Jehovah's Witness is a liability in the real world.

You can't do maths so don't even think of investment banking.

Good Commerce majors are actuarial studies, finance and economics.
I'm hoping that isn't a personal attack. I can't do maths? I am bridging 2u maths over the first semester so I will have the maths.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
I'm hoping that isn't a personal attack. I can't do maths? I am bridging 2u maths over the first semester so I will have the maths.
It would make it difficulty to fit in.

A bridging course is a start.

I still maintain that it's a waste of time doing 2 of almost the same majors (in the eyes of employers) - finance & financial econ.

HSC
They do offer some same identical option subjects, but I can take the other non-identical subjects of both so I can get a broader and more 'full' perspective of the finance field, because thats what I am to do. It's not like just because I major in any of those courses I'll be thrown in straight away into those jobs. More likely like most people I'll start at the bottom and work my way up (climbing up the coorporate ladder so to speak), and then proove myself performance wise I can do finance rather than just majors. But I do understand your POV.

If I need more than 2u maths then I will learn 3u if required but unlikely so if thats the case, then what I am doing is not a start but more than enough.

I have never ever had complications in my workplace, school, friends with my religion. I am very religious but I keep totally to myself because I believe we're all entitled to our own spiritual belief and I'd rather eat a bucket of hot steaming wet shit than try and force my beliefs on anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)