financing your BOW (1 Viewer)

punk_tartan

HSC
hey fellow visual arters, i was wondering what your schools policy is on thr finacing on your body of work. I got to a private school and we had to sign a contarct at the beginnig of year 12 tat we would foot the nill for the whole of our body of work. SO essentially all we get from the school is pencils, some limited paint and the actual room and techers experinece. Im not too bad as my paper only cost appromiatley $70, but one fellow student wishing to do photography cacuted it would coet her appromatly $500 to print all her photos. Just intrested on other schools policies.......

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I did Art back in 2003 (private school) and we had access to everything that the school literally had. The teachers basically gave us a catalogue of everything they could order, and told us to fill out the forms.

Now, they've built a new Art/D&T wing, so not only do they get all the supplies that we had for free, but they also have a darkroom, huge kiln, print-making facilities (acid baths and the like, I think) and a whole lot more creative space than we did.

So I guess my old schools policy was pretty damn good.

punk_tartan

HSC
Daemontreu said:
I did Art back in 2003 (private school) and we had access to everything that the school literally had. The teachers basically gave us a catalogue of everything they could order, and told us to fill out the forms.

Now, they've built a new Art/D&T wing, so not only do they get all the supplies that we had for free, but they also have a darkroom, huge kiln, print-making facilities (acid baths and the like, I think) and a whole lot more creative space than we did.

So I guess my old schools policy was pretty damn good.
im so jealous, we got a new art dnt wing last year and still have to pay for stuff geeeeeee

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
punk_tartan said:
im so jealous, we got a new art dnt wing last year and still have to pay for stuff geeeeeee
Heh. I was just pissed off that it was opened the in the year after I left school. :mad1:

I just keep wondering how people without money manage to pursue their creative interests, or if they just give up? Especially like you mentioned with photography. Developing and printing and equipment and framing is just too expensive.

Unknown_Genius

HSC
I Go to the Illawarra Grammar School and Our school actually offers $50 towards the BOW for each student that does Visual Arts :rofl:

punk_tartan

HSC
we approached our src to see if they could offer anything towards it but the answer came back no.... blah blah blah

HSC
N/A
No, our school doesn't give anything.... but that's probably due to the fact that most kids at our school don't really care much about school or their major works, and so henceforth aren't exactly spending lots of time and money on the things.

So far, I've spent about $120 on materials (I'm doing a series of 70 small paintings).... that's mostly just been for pre-stretched canvases (no way am I bothering to stretch 70 for this project) spray paint, plaster, oilstick etc. I don't think I'll be spending too much more, although you never know.

Art is an expensive interest.
:bomb:

Last edited:

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I'm doing photography and I must agree that the cost of producing my BOW will be extreme $500+ probably. However i'm getting access to the darkroom for free and some of my VA contribution goes towards that. My VA contribution also goes towards various papers my school will order for use in my BOW. Hopefull they'll cough up as about 393593 billion of us are utilising photography as a medium. I go to a public school also but it has a specialiality in visual arts (73 art students in year 12)

Your school, especially if private, SHOULD fund most things.

punk_tartan

HSC
luscious-llama said:
I'm doing photography and I must agree that the cost of producing my BOW will be extreme $500+ probably. However i'm getting access to the darkroom for free and some of my VA contribution goes towards that. My VA contribution also goes towards various papers my school will order for use in my BOW. Hopefull they'll cough up as about 393593 billion of us are utilising photography as a medium. I go to a public school also but it has a specialiality in visual arts (73 art students in year 12)

yeah i know.... my reasoning was that we paid some phenonmal amount to come to sch
ool, im just pissed of cuz art isnt a big thing with 8 students in year 12 doing it

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
punk_tartan said:
yeah i know.... my reasoning was that we paid some phenonmal amount to come to sch
ool, im just pissed of cuz art isnt a big thing with 8 students in year 12 doing it
:( Awww.

nwatts

HSC
Yeah paying for your BOW is a bitch. I found the school contributed about 3% of what I paid for overall. I do know of a few people who've asked rich arty people to sponsor them (particularly people using oils), but I did graphic design so I never bothered looking into it.

I got a good mark, so somehow it all seemed justified. :p

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
I'm in the process of getting quotes for how much mine is gonna cost at the moment, I would expect it to be a few hundred easily....My school (public school) contributes anything that is available at the school and if theres anything they can order they let us order through them so we get the same discount they do.

crazychic143566

HSC
i go to a private/catholic school the school ordered what ever we needed basically through catelogs, so we didnt have to pay for anything ... but because im usin materials and other random stuff mostly i couldnt really order from them ... i got to spotlight and look for bargains and all that ...

HSC
N/A
I knew a few people who spent A LOT on their BOW. But I have to say that quality does not directly relate to how much you spend on your materials etc.

I went to a public school and we were expected to pretty much finance everything other than paint and paper (from school) ourselves. Spending beyond $200 on my BOW seemed pretty ridiculous and unrealistic for my circumstances. If I was a professional artist not a student then maybe I wouldve been willing to spend more.

To cut the story short, my BOW was made of junk I collected and other "found objects," and a book. It cost very little to create. My mark would've been 45 or over as I was selected for ArtExpress. Personally, I found that the students who spent less and used more unique and creative mediums did best marks-wise. But I can understand how costs go up when your presentation involves prints or or something.

Anyway, 2006ers, don't feel that you need to spend a lot to gain a lot

joe1016

HSC
luscious-llama said:
I'm doing photography and I must agree that the cost of producing my BOW will be extreme $500+ probably. Hopefull they'll cough up as about 393593 billion of us are utilising photography as a medium. I go to a public school also but it has a specialiality in visual arts (73 art students in year 12)

i go to a public school too, but our art class has almost everything provided. (we probably have 30 art students)

our school has a two or maybe three kilns , a new photography dark room, and lots of stuuf.

our art teacher basically just says "what do you want?" and, we tell her and then she goes and gets it, any amount of canvas or paint or anything. i dont know anyone who has bought anything expensive. one girl bought her own paper bcos she really wanted some sort...another has to buy her own sushi mat, for collage, but thats only cos our teacher couldnt find one for her.

im painting, my art teacher suggested i use oils, but im not too sure about them so i am using acrylics. also this week i decided i needed some oil sticks, so my teacher just went to eckerslies and bought me a packet, they werent cheap.

needless to say im extremely happy with our art department about the resources we are able to get a hold of.

HSC
N/A
joe1016 said:
i decided i needed some oil sticks, so my teacher just went to eckerslies and bought me a packet, they werent cheap.

No, they aren't cheap :eek: Haha I love oil sticks but they're so damn costly.

lil sawa

HSC
hey, i go 2 a public school & we have like heaps good facilites n stuff...but if u want 2 do anything theres pretty limited supplies...
I'm doing digital photography, & i have 2 pay 2 get mine printed & mounted...& ive calculated mine @ about $220, A3 size...
we have a darkroom and a massive kiln, so if ur doing normal photography or ceramic stuff then ur fine...but digital photography is so expensive, and we have no printing facilites or anything, at least not good quality!

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
I go to an ordinary public school (Fairfield High; no, I have not been shot yet, nor have I been mugged) and at the beginning of year 12 we wrote down what we needed and they just ordered it for us out of the S&S catalogue. The only thing I've paid for is some fancy textured paper that I thought of using at the last minute so I went out and spent $30 on it. Other than that, paint, paper, canvases, lino, oil sticks, charcoal, easels, cameras, the whole she-bang is provided for us. We just have to ask for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)