• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Finding domain and range (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
You need to know that f(x) is the function, f'(x) shows you if it's increasing or decreasing, f'(x) tells you the concavity (thus you can work out if it's a min or max from concavity).

increasing >0

decreasing <0

so find values that f'(x) > 0 and use the graph to help you, increasing means the gradient is positive / sloping upwards, going upwards from left to right.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Okay so to find the x values when the function is increasing, I look at the first derivative when it's positive, f'(x) > 0, that's a minimum, so I look at the minimum on the graph?
Woops I confused the first and second derivative.

So I get that after -2 the graph is increasing and the same thing for 1 but I don't know how to put the answer in the proper form.

spatula232

HSC
Woops I confused the first and second derivative.

So I get that after -2 the graph is increasing and the same thing for 1 but I don't know how to put the answer in the proper form.
-2 < x < 0 and x > 1

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Okay so here's an example of a question, when they say "for what values is the x function increasing", does that mean what's the domain?

Also what would the domain and range be for this example?

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Function is increasing where the first derivation is positive, i.e. > 0

That would mean -2 < x < 0 and x > 1 (Assuming your graph is correct)

It can't be Greater than or equal to because at that turning point f'(x)=0 and therefore not >0 (as function is increasing at where f'(x)>0)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
For example at 0,0 it's not increasing right?
Technically it is increasing. The term "increasing" in maths includes cases where the function is constant. If we want to avoid these cases, we need to use the term strictly increasing. Also technically these terms refer to intervals. If the interval is just a single point where the function is defined, it must be increasing there, as it trivially satisfies the definition of increasing in any "interval" of just one point. It also trivially satisfies the definition of decreasing on any subset of the reals that contains only one point. Such an interval consisting of only one point is called a degenerate interval.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Okay so how would I find the domain and range for this? (Even though it only asks for domain but I want to know how to find the domain and the range)

rand_althor

HSC
Okay so how would I find the domain and range for this? (Even though it only asks for domain but I want to know how to find the domain and the range)
The normal domain for ln(x) is x>0. In this case, we have ln[tan(x)], so we require tan(x)>0 over the domain 0≤x≤2π. Might be easier to find for what values of x this inequality holds true if you draw a graph of tan(x).

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)