Finding in class essay for english stressful (1 Viewer)

Memi

HSC
N/A
Tomorrow I have an in class essay on Change.

I'm finding it really stressful as I need to write about 2 texts, one related, and one visual related text in 45 minutes. I mean, it's plausible, but I find the essay to be very brief and not powerful.

Anyone know how to overcome this? D: I write too slow I think...
And will the quality of the essay still be expected to be really high?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
That's way too short a time period for two essays...
They probably only expect short, 1-2 pages for each max.

Memi

HSC
N/A
Sorry! Does it sound like I'm doing 2 texts?
In conjunction with one another, we're actually supposed to explore the concept of change in 4 different texts...

And I'm finding it hard to even write one page for each text in the allocated time -__-

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
dont go into too much detail about explaining your texts well
make sure you have a VERY strong thesis in which you use your texts selectively to support these ideas, im talking 3-4 quotes max per text
also dont babble about the story or journey too much, say he goes from x to y concisely and again link this to your thesis
finally integrate your arguement to make it more sophisticated/powerful

good luck.

Memi

HSC
N/A
dont go into too much detail about explaining your texts well
make sure you have a VERY strong thesis in which you use your texts selectively to support these ideas, im talking 3-4 quotes max per text
also dont babble about the story or journey too much, say he goes from x to y concisely and again link this to your thesis
finally integrate your arguement to make it more sophisticated/powerful

good luck.
Yes, but how many techniques should I do per text? I can only manage 1 per text, and it feels like too little...

I'm going to sound ridiculously stupid, but...what's a thesis...? o_O

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Ahhh ok now I understand.

Well, 45 minutes is 5 minutes longer then what you will get for Paper 1 in your HSC. Basically what hvf26 said, and don't forget that techniques are the proof for your thesis.

Ideally 3-4 techniques per text, integrated response if you can.
Good luck!

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Yes, but how many techniques should I do per text? I can only manage 1 per text, and it feels like too little...

I'm going to sound ridiculously stupid, but...what's a thesis...? o_O
A thesis is your argument. E.g. if your thesis was 'Change is caused by...' you have to prove this. Essentially a thesis is the line of argument you take whether you agree/disagree with a statement.

Memi

HSC
N/A
Ahhh ok now I understand.

Well, 45 minutes is 5 minutes longer then what you will get for Paper 1 in your HSC. Basically what hvf26 said, and don't forget that techniques are the proof for your thesis.

Ideally 3-4 techniques per text, integrated response if you can.
Good luck!
I'm finding it extremely difficult to incorporate even just 2 techniques into each text -_- When I attempt to, then it's far too broad and not powerful D;

Memi

HSC
N/A
A thesis is your argument. E.g. if your thesis was 'Change is caused by...' you have to prove this. Essentially a thesis is the line of argument you take whether you agree/disagree with a statement.
Does there need to be a thesis for every new text, or is it only for the beginning of the essay..?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Your teacher is woefully inadequate, I'm guessing.

You only need one thesis which you prove with the techniques in both texts.
This can be along the lines of:
Change causes ____ due to ____, and this is proved in texts ____ through the composers use of ___...

Or otherwise you can shape a thesis along these lines:
'Change often causes ____ due to ____, however this is not always the case as in this other text change cause the opposite of ____'

Memi

HSC
N/A

Change causes ____ due to ____, and this is proved in texts ____ through the composers use of ___...

'Change often causes ____ due to ____, however this is not always the case as in this other text change cause the opposite of ____'
Your guess is correct.
Oh I understand. Thank you for clarifying ^^!

muzeikchun852

HSC

+1 on that. there will be a statement thats given to the student. example: journey produces enlightment, and we did this for our practice eassy.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I hope it all works out Memi, your teacher deserves a hiding for not even bothering to explain what a thesis is!

hood hood

HSC
Tomorrow I have an in class essay on Change.

I'm finding it really stressful as I need to write about 2 texts, one related, and one visual related text in 45 minutes. I mean, it's plausible, but I find the essay to be very brief and not powerful.

Anyone know how to overcome this? D: I write too slow I think...
And will the quality of the essay still be expected to be really high?
i suppose they want the texts to be breif and how it related to change dnt stress time urself at home and try to cut the bits not needed and btw i noe this sounds wierd but since yr 11 (last yr ) i have attached a battery to my pen ( cause i was such a slow writter wen it comes to essays) what that will do is make u write faster as the battery is heavier then the pen have the batterty attached to the pen untill ur hsc.. TRUST ME IT WRKS :)

Memi

HSC
N/A
i suppose they want the texts to be breif and how it related to change dnt stress time urself at home and try to cut the bits not needed and btw i noe this sounds wierd but since yr 11 (last yr ) i have attached a battery to my pen ( cause i was such a slow writter wen it comes to essays) what that will do is make u write faster as the battery is heavier then the pen have the batterty attached to the pen untill ur hsc.. TRUST ME IT WRKS :)
Oh I've heard of that whole battery on pen thing. But it only works for some people no? Apparently for some people, they end up unbalanced when the battery is moved, as they are used to having that weight there.

But I suppose I will try it, nothing to lose :)

orthentix

HSC
My god, I just come out of my english half yearly's. FYI: you dont know whats ahead, I reccommend dropping out to anyone lol.

hood hood

HSC
Oh I've heard of that whole battery on pen thing. But it only works for some people no? Apparently for some people, they end up unbalanced when the battery is moved, as they are used to having that weight there.

But I suppose I will try it, nothing to lose :)
hahahaaa lolll depends hw long u have it on for and u dnt have to literary write with it every time like one day yes and one day no and no cause the wiegfht is not there u tend to write faster thats the whole point lmao :p

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
My god, I just come out of my english half yearly's. FYI: you dont know whats ahead, I reccommend dropping out to anyone lol.
fear only stops you from being successful!
dont ever drop out even if you think youre gonna fail.

btw memi howd that essay go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)