Finding techniques (1 Viewer)

Green Pup

HSC
I've been doing average in my English essays. 80% of the reason why, I believe, is because I don't put many techniques into my paragraphs. The problem is, I have trouble finding techniques.

What do you do if you find a really good quote but you can't find a technique for it?
Like this: "I shouted from the bedroom to where I had retreated, 'You don't love me'" (From Raimond Gaita's Romulus, My Father)

DamTameNaken

HSC
You should probably study your techniques or choose a better quote with more obvious techniques.

In that particular quote the use of direct speech gives the phrase 'you don't love me' more conviction and hence more emotional intensity.

HSC
When i find a quote which is extremely useful to the concept being discussed (i.e belonging) and i can't find any clear or basic technique such as metaphor or simile I refer to the quote as either dialogue, refer to the tone being used, emotive/descriptive language etc. These are multi-purpose techniques, so don't fret there will always be something...

Kat92

HSC
I've been doing average in my English essays. 80% of the reason why, I believe, is because I don't put many techniques into my paragraphs. The problem is, I have trouble finding techniques.

What do you do if you find a really good quote but you can't find a technique for it?
Like this: "I shouted from the bedroom to where I had retreated, 'You don't love me'" (From Raimond Gaita's Romulus, My Father)

Here are a couple of links that explain what the techniques are and the effects created:( A simple google search such as english techniques list will yield what you are after)
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=63912

http://www.skwirk.com.au/p-c_s-54_u...nd-knowledge-language-features-and-techniques

I agree with @girlworld_club-- anything can be linked. Taking the quote above for example-- one could look at it from the perspective that the bedroom had become the place for comfort from the emotional hardships faced within the family unit.

If you are really stumped- this is a great resource that my teacher used and is readily available for HSC students: http://www.wadsworthmedia.com/marketing/sample_chapters/anz/9780170178167_Sample Pages.pdf

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Also sometimes a technique isn't something you have to be tangibly quote persay. You can mention the memoir style etc.

But the use of direct quote (reported speech) in the novel shows the gravity of Christine's words on the familial sense of belonging. Another example is the gravity of her infidelities with the reported speech in "Control your wife! She is stealing our husbands."

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

This shouldn't be too much of a problem to be honest considering the amount of resources that have been built up over the years.

E.g. You can find many Skrzynecki poem stuff out there nowadays.

Well, from your quote ''You don't love me'', you can BS some technique like negative tone/emotive language which implies detachment or something (not the strongest evidence but the quote definitely suggests familial detachment).

funstudy

HSC
honestly get a good private tutor. Remember that instead of focusing on techniques, your sole focus should be on ideas, SUPPORTED by those techniques. Also, don't target ridiculous techniques e.g. alliteration, assonance which don't really have a significant impact on meaning. But yeah if you're having trouble find a tutor who will just find the techniques for you

Green Pup

HSC
Sweet. Thanks for the help!
I'm fine with the ideas, my teacher said they are well developed. In all of essays, I got a comment saying "more techniques!".

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Tbh if I couldn't find a technique I just chucked some generic bs technique in there like truncated sentences or emotive language.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)