finished prescribed texts? (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
have u finished? if yes, when did u finish them? if no do u have much to go?

tieki

Finished learning them? Yes, just been doing revision for this term, but we're still learning new stuff - it doesn't feel any different...lol

Finished reading them? Seen the Castle many a time, Heaney's easy to read, still haven't read the Shipping News, though...

We'll be finished with them completely not too far in the future, though, and we'll never have to read about bog people or Newfoundland again :)

mon_mon

HSC
Our teacher got up the front as we started Snow fall on cedars and said "i don't like this book, its silly." and then proceeded to tell us why it was bad. So i've had about 35 minutes in class on my 3rd text

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tieki
Finished reading them? Seen the Castle many a time, Heaney's easy to read, still haven't read the Shipping News, though...
wow, exactly the same texts as me :)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
We've viewed/read all our texts, and are presumably up to the revision stage.

Snow Falling On Cedars-October 2002 (We got it given to us by our old Extension 1 teacher, and we then did nothing for the entire term, except for being told how to 'cheat' through misadventure.. :chainsaw: I read it in two days, as I had 'The Trial' to read when I'd finished it. My classmates read it at some point this year, I believe.)
The Big Sleep-Mid Term 1 2003 (Week 6 or thereabouts, a couple of weeks before the half-yearly.)
Real Inspector Hound-Early Term 2 2003 (Took us about two or three weeks to read this all aloud in class, while continually laughing hysterically. It was great. :d)

s2ophie

HSC
we finshed a week or two before the trial. I think we're supposed to be revising but i don't know what we are really doing!

legally_blonde

yeah we're also apparently up to 'revision time' by which our teacher means we should be up to our 3rd or 4th reading! Ha! As if! North and South is just SO boring i could barely read it ONCE! And as for Robert Browning... sheeshkabob- what a wierdo! The only thing i have managed to do sufficient revision of is Pride and Prejudice because it's a video...
i never wanted to do 'Individual and Society' anyway... what a drag...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by mon_mon
Our teacher got up the front as we started Snow fall on cedars and said "i don't like this book, its silly." and then proceeded to tell us why it was bad. So i've had about 35 minutes in class on my 3rd text
what?? it's a great book!!
Originally posted by legally_blonde
yeah we're also apparently up to 'revision time' by which our teacher means we should be up to our 3rd or 4th reading! Ha! As if! North and South is just SO boring i could barely read it ONCE! And as for Robert Browning... sheeshkabob- what a wierdo! The only thing i have managed to do sufficient revision of is Pride and Prejudice because it's a video...
i never wanted to do 'Individual and Society' anyway... what a drag...
i find it just takes forever to read!

Jinglebell

HSC
Originally posted by mon_mon
sounds familiar, but for us it's 'Emma' in advanced...i think our teacher spends more time dissing that book than teaching us about it...and she keeps making mistakes about it, so i don't know how anyone who hasn't read it has a clue what's happening:)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by malayz_angel
We are technically finished but I think we have to watch 'The Big Sleep' again because not too many of us got it the first time :D
it is complicated but u'll get it in the end. at least we dnt have to read the book

u dont really need to understand the whole thing anyway to be able to discuss it

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Along these lines, who enjoyed or disliked their prescribed texts?

-Snow Falling On Cedars. I found it to be quite a good book, even with the hugely lengthy external analypsis (Seventy pages in one section, I believe.) It's a sign that it's well-written that I still feel satisfied with the text despite the red herring ending, as the 'crime' plot itself is merely a framework for Guterson's multi-generic social commentary..How post-modern. ;)

-The Big Sleep. Enjoyable, but I'd need to watch it again to fully 'get it'. However, it did provide some very useful quotes for the 'Crime Fiction' essay itself (Particularly stuff like It started out as a blackmail case and became so much more.. and So many guns in the world and so few brains.... Encapsulations of the genre.)

-The Real Inspector Hound. Easily my favourite of the prescribed texts, and probably the text that I have enjoyed reading the most throughout high school. (No hyperbole.) Clever, witty, convoulted and hillarious. :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i loved snow, i though it was just so well written and engaging

hound was funny, i also liked it

and sleep was alright, i didn't find it too amusing, yet it's a good text to study

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
We had done all our prescribed texts by the end of T2 this year.... now we are just doing revision type stuff

Lolliana

yeah we're doing 4 instead of 3,

???????

but i finished in the hols

possession was the hardest to get through, its so dense but i loved it mid way, now im a little over it
french lieutenats woman was fab, funny and experiemetal and irreverant, just the ticket

orlando was also fabulous

and dead white males, welll at least it didnt take long to read, so it was only a waste of a small amount of time

aside from dwm, i really enjoy my prescribed text, and my related material has been even more interesting

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
i loved snow, i though it was just so well written and engaging
Page 80 :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
well i'm not checking the book, but what's the first thing that would come to ur mind... or the first thing u think would come to any teen male's mind

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
well i'm not checking the book, but what's the first thing that would come to ur mind... or the first thing u think would come to any teen male's mind
Hahaha!

That's got to be the best page out of Snow Falling on Cedars.
That, and the other scene with Ishmael and Hatsue.

"She thought of him while Kabuo kissed the undersides of her breasts, and then her nipples through the fabric of her bra"

"and that tonight, soon, she would feel another boy's hardness deep inside of her"

"She put her hand around Kabuo's hardness and squeezed it, and it pulsed once in her hand. Then, because she wanted it this way, she fell onto her back without letting go and he was on top of her with his hands on her buttocks"

"The head of his penis found the place it wanted. Then with his hands he pulled her to him and at the same time entered her so that she felt his scrotum slap against her skin. Her entire body felt the rightness of it, her entire body was seized to it. Hatsue arched her shoulder blades - her breasts pressed themselves against his chest - and a slow shudder ran through her"

...beautiful :D
"It feels so right, Kabuo" LOL :D :p

And my all time favourite quote: "Fucking jap bitch!" :p :D
I love this book :rolleyes:

Comes second to The Big Sleep's sexual innuendos: "Are you a front runner, or do you like to come from behind?"

Vivian: What's wrong?
Marlowe: Nothing you can't fix! :D :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)