finishing a degree with Cr or D avg. (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
is there any difference if i complete a degree with distinctions and high-distinctions and another person completes the same degree with passes and credits? supposing that pre-requisite GPA's dont matter.

doe

HSC
N/A
depends on your desired field of employment.

p's get degrees

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
lets just say this, if you had a D average and another person had a C average, and you two were the final two battling out for a highly regarded job, then i thin you would get it.

ALso, some companies (mainly large corporations) asks you how many D's and HD's you got during your degree as part of your application. This is part of their interview selection process.

Surely, you rather graduate with a D average than a P average?

Majesty

HSC
N/A
I think it's more vital to get experience in a related field whilst your at uni then grades alone. If you have both excellant grades and experience (paid or unpaid) you're definitely going to be the cream of the cake.

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Cyan_phoeniX
Do the grades you acheive get recorded on something?
Er, obviously on the database.
But yes i think at the end of your degree you also get an academic transcript.
As far as i know having a GPA of at least 2.5 is good. 3+ Credit average is great though, but dont stress/die over the grades they're not really that important.

doe

HSC
N/A
in my experience, after you've gotten your first job marks dont matter. it usually comes down to where your experience has been. marks will make a difference if you're going for corporate graduate recruitment programs, big corporations basically sit down with a checklist and if you cant tick all the boxes they dont waste their time with you. this is where high marks help, but keep in mind theres a lot of people with perfect GPA's who dont get graduate recruitment places, simply because hundreds of people apply for usually 2 or 3 positions in each company.

at the end of each year, thousands of graduates flood the market trying to get a finite amount of jobs. what you want is to be able to differentiate yourself from all the others. high marks alone will not do this. like majesty said, get some experience (any is good), and i would add get to know people and the issues in your industry. how you do this is up to you, but its not a subject you can take at university :)

also work out what it is you want from your degree. i want to be able to do a post graduate course in an area that interests me. being bitter and cynical, its all just a game to me, and im just here playing the game because if you live in modern society you have no option otherwise.

ranting aside, twice ive been interviewing for IT jobs. especially in todays climate, i could pick up the phone, place an ad for a given role and get 10 people all who have the technical competence to do the job. in my experience, the deciding factor comes down to what we think of the person, and how well we think they will fit into the companies culture. its not the marks they got in uni, nor how many certs they have (like CCNA, MCSE, etc).

excluding last year, i have shit marks and a shit academic record (it took me four years to get through first year, i think with a GPA < 2) but, people pay me very well to do what i do because ive worked very hard at being good at it and differentiating myself from the crowd. it wasnt easy, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it and we'd live in a utpoia, but it's worth it to me. now im at uni to do postgrad in something that interests me. education has its place and undoubtably degrees open doors, but marks matter far less than individuals.

oh, and dont get me started on working for big corporations :)

santaslayer

HSC
soooooooo.....let me summarise what doe said in a few simple words so u dont have to read the whole thing.....lol

industry experience matters more than the marks an individual gets coz at the end of the day, the employer is going to choose the person with more expereince if marks are identical/.......jeeezz

doe

HSC
N/A
i like to get my point across :)

theres little to no guidence provided about getting work/building a career, it gets on my goat, especially when otherwise smart people get a raw deal from it.

doe

HSC
N/A
im just sharing my experiences. id like to quote this, its from buddhist scriptures. im not a buddhist, i just think its kindof neat.

"Kalama Sutta

Do not believe in anything (simply) because you have heard it.

Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.

Do not believe in anything because it is spoken and rumoured by many.

Do not believe in anything (simply) because it is found written in your religious books.

Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

But after observation and analysis when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all then accept it and live up to it."

How now, brown bureaucrat? ;)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Grades are overrated. Get some good communication skill, I say! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)