FINS1613 sem1 or sem2 (1 Viewer)

Jo25

HSC
So I'm going to do actuarial studies in 2016. Currently I prefer to do MGMT1001 in sem1 as it suits my timetable better but I heard that it's hard to get a good mark in FINS1613 in sem2. What should I do? helpppppppppppppp

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Historically, Sem 1 has been the way to go (due to the head lecturer/course co-ordinator, the structure of assessments e.g. quizzes and no mid-sem, lower overall difficulty, etc).

However, I think the difficulty gap between Sem 1 and Sem 2 is closing (the discrepancy between student numbers in Sem 1 and in Sem 2 makes it obvious to lecturers so they are implementing appropriate measures).

Still possible to do well in Sem 2 though.

Jo25

HSC
so do you think its still possible to get HD or D in sem2? how about MGMT1001?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
so do you think its still possible to get HD or D in sem2? how about MGMT1001?
Definitely possible. It's just that, historically, it was more probable in Sem 1. Not sure about now because I heard the Sem 1 course co-ordinator is changing to a different person.

MGMT is apparently similar in both sems so it shouldn't be matter.

mreditor16

HSC
I was actually in an identical dilemma last year and I got people's advice here - http://community.boredofstudies.org/136/australian-school-business/333310/fins1613-vs-mgmt1001.html - I think it's definitely a worthwhile read for you.

I do agree overall with what RoT said. UNSW Business School seems to have realised about the differences between FINS1613 in Sem 1 and Sem 2, and is trying somewhat to address it. Also, for quite a few years now, the lecturer in charge (LIC) for Sem 1 was Robert Tumarkin, who most people say is why FINS1613 is better in Sem 1. However, in 2016, the LIC for Sem 1 is Mr S Maloney, so who knows how he will teach the course and what sort of assessments he will set.

Keep in mind, that you have the option of doing MGMT1001 in Sem 1 of your first year, and FINS1613 in Sem 1 of your second year - that seems to be an option you haven't considered. That's what I ended up choosing FYI :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Going to be doing ECON1203 in 4th year. YOLO. Gonna be that annoying kient who answers all the questions

Jo25

HSC
I was actually in an identical dilemma last year and I got people's advice here - http://community.boredofstudies.org/136/australian-school-business/333310/fins1613-vs-mgmt1001.html - I think it's definitely a worthwhile read for you.

I do agree overall with what RoT said. UNSW Business School seems to have realised about the differences between FINS1613 in Sem 1 and Sem 2, and is trying somewhat to address it. Also, for quite a few years now, the lecturer in charge (LIC) for Sem 1 was Robert Tumarkin, who most people say is why FINS1613 is better in Sem 1. However, in 2016, the LIC for Sem 1 is Mr S Maloney, so who knows how he will teach the course and what sort of assessments he will set.

Keep in mind, that you have the option of doing MGMT1001 in Sem 1 of your first year, and FINS1613 in Sem 1 of your second year - that seems to be an option you haven't considered. That's what I ended up choosing FYI :)
Thanks for your information :) So do you reckon it's better to get MGMT1001 out of the way first? Also, would I be missed out if I do FINS1613 in Sem1 2nd year?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

Sean Maloney is actually decent, i had him for 2624 and found him very thorough.

mreditor16

HSC
Thanks for your information :) So do you reckon it's better to get MGMT1001 out of the way first? Also, would I be missed out if I do FINS1613 in Sem1 2nd year?
Personally, as an actuarial student, I would recommend getting MGMT1001 out of the way, by doing it in the first semester of your first year. Arguably, first semester of first year has the easiest subjects, and each semester only gets harder from there! Many of my peers have decided to delay it to third/fourth year, but I'm not a big fan of doing that tbh.

Tbh, because you're an actuarial student, a reason for doing FINS1613 in Sem 1 of your second year is that a lot of the content in FINS1613 will be made incredibly easier due to the knowledge and content you've learnt in ACTL1101 (studied in Sem 2 of first year).

The main disadvantage (although not that major imo) of doing FINS1613 in Sem 1 of your second year is that, if you wish to pursue a finance major, you'll be starting it a bit late. You'll still have enough time in your degree to finish the major though.

Jo25

HSC
Personally, as an actuarial student, I would recommend getting MGMT1001 out of the way, by doing it in the first semester of your first year. Arguably, first semester of first year has the easiest subjects, and each semester only gets harder from there! Many of my peers have decided to delay it to third/fourth year, but I'm not a big fan of doing that tbh.

Tbh, because you're an actuarial student, a reason for doing FINS1613 in Sem 1 of your second year is that a lot of the content in FINS1613 will be made incredibly easier due to the knowledge and content you've learnt in ACTL1101 (studied in Sem 2 of first year).

The main disadvantage (although not that major imo) of doing FINS1613 in Sem 1 of your second year is that, if you wish to pursue a finance major, you'll be starting it a bit late. You'll still have enough time in your degree to finish the major though.
Thank you! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)