Firms Throw Up New Hurdle: Unemployed Need Not Apply (1 Viewer)

byebyebye

HSC
Firms Throw Up New Hurdle: Unemployed Need Not Apply

Wednesday 16 February 2011
by: Tony Pugh | McClatchy Newspapers | Report
Washington - As if finding work weren't hard enough already, a federal agency warns that some employers are excluding jobless workers from consideration for openings.
The practice has surfaced in electronic and print postings with language such as "unemployed applicants will not be considered" or "must be currently employed." Some ads use time thresholds to exclude applicants who've been unemployed longer than six months or a year.
Evidence of the practice has been mostly anecdotal, and information about how widespread it may be is sketchy.
But with unemployment at 9 percent and millions of people struggling to find jobs, the practice has caught the attention of regulators, lawmakers and advocates for the unemployed.
"At a moment when we all should be doing whatever we can to open up job opportunities to the unemployed, it is profoundly disturbing that the trend of deliberately excluding the jobless from work opportunities is on the rise," said Christine Owens, the executive director of the National Employment Law Project.
Members of Congress contacted the Department of Labor and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission last year to see whether the practice violates federal employment laws against discrimination.
While the unemployed aren't a protected class under civil rights laws, the practice could be legally problematic if it has a disparate or discriminatory effect on groups of job seekers who are subject to civil rights protections.
In a public meeting Wednesday at EEOC headquarters, several witnesses testified that excluding the unemployed from job openings could disproportionately affect African-Americans, Hispanics, people with disabilities and older workers — all federally protected groups whose jobless rates are well above the U.S. average.
Blacks and Hispanics are particularly vulnerable, said William Spriggs, the Labor Department's assistant secretary for policy, because they represent a large share of unemployed workers and a smaller portion of those with jobs.
"When employers exclude the unemployed from the applicant pool, they are more likely to be excluding Latinos and African-Americans," Spriggs testified.
Most seem to agree that the overwhelming majority of job postings don't contain such language. James Urban, a partner at Jones Day law firm in Pittsburgh who counsels large employers, testified that he's never dealt with an employer who wouldn't hire the jobless.
Listings that exclude unemployed applicants would violate terms-of-use policies against discrimination at Monster.com, which posts hundreds of thousands of job openings.
At a time when it's often tough to tell the difference between the corporate news and its advertisements, it's essential to keep independent journalism strong. Support Truthout today by clicking here.
"We would flag that as a violation of our policy," company spokesman Matthew Henson said. He said the website screened listings for such problems.
Spriggs said the problem might still occur behind closed doors, without the explicit language. That's because employers are looking for ways to cut through large numbers of applications quickly. On average, there are nine job applicants for every two openings, he said.
Others suggested the practice reflects a bias that workers who were laid off aren't the most talented.
Joyce Bender, the CEO of Bender Consulting Services and an advocate for people with disabilities, testified that when she worked as a job recruiter, she often was asked to hire people from the competition rather than qualified unemployed applicants. She said workers with disabilities were having an even tougher job search because of this avoidance of unemployed applicants.
While jobless applicants might have "skills that are stale or obsolete" compared with employed candidates, screening them out isn't effective because it limits the pool of qualified workers, said Fernan Cepero, the state director of the New York State Society for Human Resource Management. He said the practice probably wasn't widespread because "the stakes involved are too high for that."
But Owens of the National Employment Law Project said her group routinely heard from older workers who'd been rejected for consideration because they weren't employed.
A 53-year-old Illinois woman who was laid off after 19 years as an information technology supervisor said a recruiter wouldn't send her on a job interview when he realized she hadn't worked for a year. A 44-year-old woman lost out on a pharmaceutical sales position because the job required that she be currently employed in the industry or have left it within six months.
Owens said that under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, it was illegal for employers to use practices that "limit, segregate or classify" individuals in ways that limited or denied employment opportunities based on race, gender, color, religion, ethnicity or age. Practices that seem nondiscriminatory could violate these laws if they have a disparate impact on members of these protected classes.
Urban said it would be hard to prove the disparate impact of excluding unemployed applicants, but Helen Norton, an associate professor at the University of Colorado School of Law, disagreed and cited examples of how it could be done.
"This practice raises questions and concerns under current anti-discrimination law that deserve attention," she said.
Although Spriggs said women were less likely to be hurt by the practice, Fatima Goss Graves, the vice president for education and employment at the National Women's Law Center, suggested otherwise. She said women — who disproportionately leave the work force to give birth or provide care to sick loved ones — could well face the problem.
The commission will gather more information about the issue and might, in time, provide guidance to employers about the practice and suggestions on how to avoid any legal conflicts in job postings.

http://www.truth-out.org/firms-throw-up-new-hurdle-unemployed-need-not-apply67839

This is beyond wrong! This is the way to create a permanent underclass to serve the plutocracy of tomorrow. This is why when I hear people spout self-righteous elitist platitudes like "The poor are poor because they chose to be poor.", and "They should pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.", it never fails to piss me off. SylvesterBr and Rothbard, I'm looking at you.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
This has always been happening, except now firms are starting to be more open about it.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
exactly

ive probably experienced exactly this sort of discrimination

im not calling for anti-discrim laws though and i can understand the rationale but still its kinda clownshoes

BUT OH OH ITS THE HOMOSEXUALS WE NEED TO DEFEND

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
http://www.truth-out.org/firms-throw-up-new-hurdle-unemployed-need-not-apply67839

This is beyond wrong! This is the way to create a permanent underclass to serve the plutocracy of tomorrow. This is why when I hear people spout self-righteous elitist platitudes like "The poor are poor because they chose to be poor.", and "They should pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.", it never fails to piss me off. SylvesterBr and Rothbard, I'm looking at you.
Please point to a situation where either of us have said this

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
We should force companies to hire people that aren't fit for the roles, then!

HSC
we already do m8 by having jobs where only aboriginals or only women can apply

and the state govt is going to further this by making a 50% women quota for commitees etc!

yay for equality

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
women in the army is fucking retarded

police force too and theres an empirical basis for it

though obv women have some use for sting operations and stuff like that but otherwise get them oudda dere

HSC
women in non-combat roles is fine i think

in a peacetime army, 90% of the force are non-combat positions.

woman cops are useless lol you can just run away from them, but stopping women from applying is wrong. what annoys me is that they have lower fitness requirements (i think. i know the defence forces do)

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
lott jr. found that female cops are far more likely to use their side arms over male police officers and to be assaulted or physically attacked on the job

i want the best people for the job in the police force so therefore excluding women makes perfect sense

ofc female police officers are going to need to use their guns more and make attractive targets for criminal violence

retard feminist ideals destroying efficient society

but yeah women in non-combat positions would be fine but really the only acceptable duties for a woman are to take care of the cock and the casa

anything else is just superfluous and detrimental to all existence

200,000 years of male supremacy and now we've got these white men who are happy and willing to give up more and more of what we have left

Last edited:
HSC
i know 2 people who are currently trying to get into the police force
one is a guy i played footy with who is 6'2" and benches like 90kg and the other is a fucking moron chick who who is like 5'4" and a mad slut and i bet she will get in over him

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
yeah it's insane

police officers should have at least an IQ of 90-95+, be at least 5'11-6'1 and meet a pretty high strength/fitness level

seeing these hilarious little fat women waddle around in police outfits is such a fucking joke

it makes sense to have a few abos and shit on the force too (who meet these requirements) for better access / trust with their communities

if theres a time to race hire in the public service theres def an argument for it in the police force

Last edited:
HSC
they have aboriginal liason officers who coordinate with the community.

the one here was recently arrested for tipping off his drug dealer brother about police raids

he had been tipping him off for 10yrs lol so whenever the cops turned up the drug dealer had removed anything incriminating

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
that's why you need to control for IQ and other variables when selecting for abos to minimize the risk they'll do that sort of shit

unfortunately theres no way you can control for ethnic and kin nepotism

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
that's why you need to control for IQ and other variables when selecting for abos to minimize the risk they'll do that sort of shit

unfortunately theres no way you can control for ethnic and kin nepotism
But is it the low IQ or high IQ aboriginals who are abusing their positions of power? There are just as many instances of those of other ethnicities abusing such power. Corruption is endemic to mankind. The smarter ones probably just get away with it.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
i'm not saying high IQ individuals aren't or cannot be corrupt and a lot of them are

that's why i said 'minimize the risk' because that's the point

employers should try to minimize the risk of hiring a lazy/stupid/dodgy person as much as possible which is why hiring a higher iq person for a particular role over a lower iq person is ideal

iq seems to be fairly well associated with dodgy behavior but its just a proxy for it really

i dont know if its casually related to it it might have some influences in itself but it probably coincides with other character defects that impel people to act like dodgy bastards

eitherway this discussion about anti discrimination reminds me of joe sobran's awesome dictionary

anti-Semite: a person who’s hated by Jews

association, freedom of: discrimination

bigot: one who practices sociology without a license

bribe: an irregular transaction through which the citizen may get his money’s worth of service from the government

civil rights: government power used in behalf of large groups

guilt: the deepest vested interest

isolationist: an American who thinks America should behave like other countries

opinion polls: clever devices to make the hostages think they control their captors

political correctness: the felt pressure of enlightened public opinion, under which we sense that certain thoughts, though technically legal now, are already destined to become taboo.

psychoanalysis: a form of aggression for humorless people

public opinion: what everyone thinks everyone else thinks

rich: politicians’ nickname for “other people” (as in “tax the rich”)

rights: authorizations for new areas of government control

rogue nation: a country that behaves like America

voting: trying to say something with a gag in your mouth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)