First Car Aspirations (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Petar raises some very valid points about swapping the engine in an MR2, though I think his numbers are too low.

Engine+loom is going to be at least $15K and I would hazard that work on the engine (injectors, port+polish, etc) would be at least $5k and then $10K to fit this into the car. Maybe abit more again for programming and dyno-time. And maybe another couple of thousand on engineering it all. I forsee structural problems of fitting the larger engine, problems with the panels, problems with the plumbing for the exhaust/intercooler, etc etc. Oh and if you want this to show standards then you're going to be looking at maybe another 15K in mags, paint and interior. If you want this in race spec then at least $5k (maybe $10k) in suspension, steering, mags, tyres and chasis stiffening.

So all up the cost for a unique ball tearing race machine is going to be north of: $50K + the MR2 to work with.

This simply isnt a feasible project. And besides which if you were set on pouring $50k into a car then I'd suggest starting with a more solid package eg a skyline.

As far as there being lots of integras around look at the rover versions they have different styling.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Okay, I just wanted the MR2 as stock for about 10 years as I am looking for everyday car so that when it hits around 200,000 kms I'll start thinking about modifying it.

Looks like I'll have to look for an Integra VTi-R, I'm not interested in the Type R, the red badging doesn't look great and it's expensive. Heard it's more track geared also. I prefer the look of the current Integra Type S but I'm never going to find one that's under $18,000. Does another know if the DC1 is good? Also is the imported JDM DC2 Integras better or worse than the Aus spec one cause I remember seeing one around before?

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
hey lengy mate get an mr2, my mate used to have one, in black, it was a fuckin sweet ride.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Whats your budget?

g1 tegs can be had for $2K

g2 for $5k

And thats all I know off the top of my head.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Yeah why not? Also is there anything wrong about buying a car that's over 150,000 km? What should I expect? Cause my family car is close to hitting 100,000 km and there's nothing worng with it.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Well, 100k is one thing, 200k is an entirely different matter. Everything from suspension to engine to gearbox wears out, especially if some basic maintenance has been neglected. A 10 year old car pushing 200k usually means that it hasn't had top notch maintenance. This is why performance mods at this point are usually best done after extensive rejuvenation. (I'm talking about 4 cylinder cars here - 6cyl and 8cyl can last longer).

For example, before putting on larger wheels and sports suspension, you will probably have to replace CV joints, bushings, steering rack boots, and this list can continue (tie rods, etc.). Dealers may want to replace your whole rack, if you can't do the boots yourself -> many thousands. CVs are also expensive. Bushings are cheap but labour intensive.

Usually on worn engines, compression ratios have gone down, injectors no longer spray properly, valve seals are leaking (probably a couple of the gaskets too), so all of these things have to be accounted for before going for things like exhaust and intake mods (which would yield no worthwhile performance gain prior maintenance)

There will also be a lot of normal maintenance coming full circle - discs, pads, belts, plugs, leads, fluids, which could easily top 1k (with labour).

Naturally, what I am suggesting here is a(s always a) worst case scenario. You need to find a car with impeccable service history. Those with 200k and an impeccable history would be very rare for cars this age (i.e. maybe in 5-10 years time). Such a high mileage at this age suggests poor maintenance along the way.

Take it down to a brand dealer for an appraisal of all the things you need done. It may very well be double the price of the performance mods you will make on the car.

Jiga

You dont mod a car with 200,000kms on it.... thats just stupid. Even if it doesnt have any problems as described by 'petar13'...... your gonna spend thousands doing it up for it to last like another 50,000kms, if not less because engine mods at least are going to put additional stress on an old engine. Its a waste.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The only solace is that rejuvenation and mods can take place at the same time cutting labour costs eg

Replacing head gasket you might as well have the head ported, polished, etc while its off.

Replacing shocks, cvs, bushes, etc need replacing so you upgrade as you replace eg nolathane bushes, lowered springs, stiffer shocks.

Also remember that the effect of the kms is also going to vary with the original build quality eg I would be far keener on buying a 200,000km honda than a 200,000km hyundai....

sxc_ballerina89

HSC
i dnt particularly care wat type of car i have as long as it works & is a nice colour lol such a girly thing to say i just want 1 so i can continue to get my hours up cos i cnt drive any of the cars at home cos there r too heavy for me to drive or arnt auto's

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
sxc_ballerina89 said:
i dnt particularly care wat type of car i have as long as it works & is a nice colour lol such a girly thing to say i just want 1 so i can continue to get my hours up cos i cnt drive any of the cars at home cos there r too heavy for me to drive or arnt auto's
Uhmm usually you don't have to lift the cars when you drive them? But seriously, learn to drive manual, dont just use it as a scapegoat to stop driving.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MR2

check the SW20 section near the end and apparently the V6 1MZ-FE i have in my Camry can easily fit into the MR2 and rather cheaper also. i prefer N/A, as i'm sceptical about how the turbo boost is applied to cars and fear the boost coming up when i don't want it shooting me into a pillar or something in the middle of a turn. i'm wondering if i can work in the ZF auto currently on Falcons into this car.

i'm still avoiding Hondas though. i keep hearing about their scary servicing costs.

what's people's opinions on the MX-5? previous generation.

daman

HSC

transcendent

HSC
N/A
how so? it's upperclass. would fit a late-20 something business person, regardless of gender IMO.

Skeeta

HSC
i just bought a new car :eek:

i'm excited. It'll be sad to see the little corolla go bye byes into the depths of my brothers driving

but yeah i got a ford festiva trio 1999 manual :eek:
its silver
and qoot

but it doesnt have power steering and i fucking suck at driving anyway

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
hey think about this though... insurance on a 2 door is more than a 4 door because in the eyes of an insurance company they see a person with a 2 door as a wallah hektik cunt n they'll slug u.. especially as a male under 25.. in my opinion buy a 4 door n something cheap on fuel like a bmw 320i manual 1994-96 model.. ull find 1 with under 120,000 and in immaculate condition for under 15k.... just look around.. all u got to think about is parts n service costs... my mate picked one up for 13.5k so u should find one easily....

and 'breaking', i know a guy who sold a vu ss ute about a month ago who sold his for 12k with headwork, extractors, lowered, 18" wheels, gold holden colour, less than 100,000ks on it and was immaculate... just look around.. im sure u'll find the vu s pack ute for around the same....

Last edited:

Skeeta

HSC
but.. i already bought it?! Like 2 hours ago!?

and i'm a girl (not a male)
and it is cheep on fuel
and um yeah a bit late to change my mind now

and it was only 8 grand
and it had 50, 000 km

transcendent

HSC
N/A
think he might've been talking to someone else. congratulations on the new car Skeeta. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)