First grade to complete HSC in my school.. (1 Viewer)

Intellectualism

HSC
I attend a private college located in a western suburb in sydney.

Its a new school that's only been around for about 10-12 years.

I would like to know what you guys think the advantages and disadvantages of being a student in the first grade to complete the HSC in the school are..

betonit169

My Username Sucks....
HSC
teachers wouldnt really be used to it...

the school wouldnt be as used to as what to do ?

Buttigieg

Elite Member
HSC
Bragging rights! lol! i guess the people below you would be able to look up to you and stuff...in the real world however, i doubt that there are many benefits for finishing hsc first at your school.

Intellectualism

HSC
What about in terms of:

- Getting a UAI ?

- School ranking ?

that kinda stuff..

am I disadvantaged?

Buttigieg

Elite Member
HSC
mmm, i wouldnt think you'd have a disadvantage...it really depends on who your grade goes, not how old the school is, and how previous years went...

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Wouldn't your school have only been around 6 years if your grade is the first to complete the HSC...

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
risole91 said:
Wouldn't your school have only been around 6 years if your grade is the first to complete the HSC...
No, it doesn't mean they went up a year each year, it usually takes longer to establish the senior years. They prob went to year 10 then changed schools before now.

runnable

HSC
Well you will only be disadvantaged in stuff like facilities, experience and atmosphere etc.

Intellectualism

HSC
risole91 said:

Our school was at first only a primary school, but later on they also started high school classes.

There was also suppose to be a year above me but they had to change schools in yr 10 because our school didnt have yr11&12 classes yet.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
you won't be disadvantaged by rankings or anything of the sort. you might be disadvantaged if the teachers have no prior experience with the hsc but that's about as far as it goes. It's up to you and your cohort to do well.

aussie-boy

HSC
its up to you guys to determine who the school will attract in the future

Intellectualism

HSC
Most of my teachers havn't taught HSC before..

Senior Science - Teacher's about 23 & just graduated out of uni, I think we're the first class she's ever taught in her career. (she's an excellent teacher though, the best out of all my teachers.)

Society and culture - Teacher is qualified to teach Modern History not Society and Culture but our school couldn't find a teacher in time so they just made him teach our class cause modern history is supposedly similar to Society and Culture..

Maths - His pretty old, not sure if he had experience teaching HSC students before but i think he might have; pretty good teacher anyway.

English - She's taught HSC before, however, she is the worst the teacher i have ever met. She's lazy, never marks essays we hand in to her etc. & all the notes she gives us are just photocopies of the excell study guides. She also went for a holiday overseas in the middle of the year so we had to study the Frontline module without any help from any teacher.

Biology - Same story as the senior science teacher, except she is no where near an excellent teacher. I have no idea where she graduated from, the students make jokes about her buying her degree from ebay xD.

& if school ranking does not impact the UAI I receive, why is it that you need your school rank in order to get a UAI prediction?

thanks heaps..

:)

HSC
Intellectualism said:
& if school ranking does not impact the UAI I receive, why is it that you need your school rank in order to get a UAI prediction?
Your UAI is affected by how good the people in your cohort are. Your school ranking is indicative of how good those people are.

HSC
Then we don't really know how well your cohort will perform, obviously. It'll be a surprise for you.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Intellectualism said:
So what happens if my school isn't ranked?
School rank doesnt have any impact on what the BOS and UAC do.

However, when people ask for estimates it helps us (with no idea about the strength of the cohort) estimate their UAI.

You might get a pleasant surprise. My school is only 5-6 years old, and it our first HSC year we came somewhere in the top 100.

HSC
Intellectualism said:
I attend a private college located in a western suburb in sydney.

Its a new school that's only been around for about 10-12 years.

I would like to know what you guys think the advantages and disadvantages of being a student in the first grade to complete the HSC in the school are..
advantage: YOU ARE THE BEST SO FAR - default - AWWW YEAH!!

whereas... the teachers mightn't really know what they're doing quite as well. my (public - awww yeah!! :D) school's pro at the hsc... we have teachers that've ben there for 20yrs+ o_O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)