First hand investigation (1 Viewer)

smile4me

HSC
hey

i was just wondering what felow geophysists did for the prac

"perform a first-hand investigation to gather data to demonstrate the relationship between the nature of a surface and the radiation reflected from it"

hsc online sugests photos and coloured filters, which is probally what i will end up doing but i;m not shure what types of fotos to use, how to tabulate the results, what sort of changes i need to look to observe etc.

does anyone have any ideas/tips

any help greatly apprecitated

bec

Naylyn

HSC
My class hasnt actaully done this prac yet since we are behind in our prac work in general, but when we have do it ill post what we did.

cjwrighty

Look out UOW here I come!
HSC
Well when i did that point, we tryed using a high res pic of australia and looked through a few different colour filters. I saw, that different features come up easier to see when looking through different filters. I still dont know 100% what i accomplished but hopefully it answers that dot point when it comes to the HSC.

Rofl, while typing this post i remembered i forgot to finish writing up that prac. **runs to physics book**

:D:D

smile4me

HSC
lol ha ha well i hope u got it written up

seams like a bit of a pointless prac, but if it answers the dot point then i guess it must be done. lol
thanks

cjwrighty

Look out UOW here I come!
HSC
smile4me said:
lol ha ha well i hope u got it written up
Rofl, still havent bothered to do it. I think its because i am sick, just cannot get the effort finish work :(

Naylyn

HSC
Ok this is what we "did" for this prac ( I think it was for the dot point)
1- Looked at a shiny piece of metal, observed the surface and how it reflected light i.e. shiny surface high reflection
2- Looked at a dull piece of metal and observed what the surface was like and how it reflected light i.e. dull surface low reflection.
3- Looked at pitted surface eg an orange peel and observered how it reflected light i.e. scattered light and hance very little was reflected.
4- Looked at a coloured object and noted that it reflected certain colours more than others.
5- Applied these observations to aerial photographs, ie green areas either lawn- reasonably high reflection or forest- low reflection high scattering, also water because of its flat shin surface could be identified using the above techniques.

Hope this helps

smile4me

HSC
thanks thats really useful :) hopefully there will be a question on it now lol

the other prac i haven't really done is the gravity data reduction prac i have no idea where to get gravity data from or really exaclty how to Quantitatively reduce any of it.

that and the anazlyseing information from the shot to geophone scale thingy.

anybody got any ideas about those?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)