• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

first immune response vs secondary immune response (1 Viewer)

Stephy~

when i read the txtbk Heinemann Biology...
it says that secondary immune respone is always faster and last longer..
but when i do papers from Success One HSC Biology...
it says that secondary immune response is usually delayed and are not long-term.

so.. i'm very confused atm..
can anyone give me an exact answer please?

always_smile

HSC
From what my teacher said, the secondary immune response is not long term because inflammation for example will only work for a certain period of time until the pathogen has been killed or neutralised. because remember the body has to maintain homeostasis, and the secondary response would disrupt the stable state of the body. in other words i agree with Success One Biology that it is not long term.
I dont know if i was much help.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
if ur infected by and antigen, u get memory cells right
(in the first infection, it takes longer to produce these cells)

however in the secondary, these memory cells are present, and thus can occur faster and in greater amounts

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
Hmmm... theoretically the 2nd line of defence could last longer than a secondary exposure of a pathogen which is remembered and attacked by the third line of defence. Also 2nd line is non-specific, it just trys to phagocytosise whatevers there, because its non-specific it could take longer to deal with the infection.

The reason why its confusing tho is that the 2nd and 3rd lines of defense interact, so while 3rd lines is doing a great job rounding up the antigens, the 2nd line macrophages come along and mop it all up. So in a way 2nd lines there to the end but its part of an interactive process which involves .

i dont think its hugely important to know which lasts longest, just know what they do.

-Saedie

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Remember don't get mix-up between secondary immune response and second line of defence. They are completely different and cannot be used interchangeably.

Saedie, I don't think you can compare the "length" of response between 2nd and 3rd line of defence because while a 3rd line of defence is needed to kill off a pathogen, the 2nd line of defence doesn't just stop working and let T/B cells do all the work. So you cannot really compare the length of the two because 2nd line of defence doesn't shut down after the 3rd line of defence starts to take action.

You can however, compare the immunological actions between primary and secondary responses.

cataleptic

HSC
Don't trust the Heinemann text. It's a fuck up.

Also, there's a diagram of the brain in there somewhere that is the wrong away around - it's supposed to be demonstrating what areas of the brain are responsible for sigh/sound perception etc., but it really fucked that one up.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
There will always be mistakes in textbooks, secondary or tertiary. You just need to use a number of different textbooks, which you have access to in the library, to look for common themes in particular parts of the course that you are unsure of.

SmileyCam

HSC
I think there was even a HSC question that asked how you check the reliability of the secondary information you research, you would fail that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)