• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

First test! (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Ahh help!
I have my first test monday ive studied quite well my teacher helps because he gives us every question. here is wat im having:
question 1- three derivatives - function, quotient and product of a product
question 2 - sum of an ap, sum of a gp using sigma notation, super annuation, change a recurring decimal to fraction
question 3 - sum and products of roots, define quadratic as either positive, negative or indefinte. quadratic identity, solve an equation reducable to a quadratice
question 4- sketch a curve showing stat points and ppi. maxima and minima probs

anyone got any tips/advice..
also could anyone give me questions on any of these to test me casue i only have my one text book at the moment and ive done all those. Im really bad at maxima and minima probs can anyone help?

Winston

HSC
look at the past HSC papers for those, they are the best, if its internally written this exam you're having the teacher will most likely tax from past papers.

Just a ques why does it say u do 4 unit maths in your subjects profile? :S... are u doing 2 unit as well just for backup?

Last edited:

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
yeah im doing 2 unit, 3 unit and 4 unit .. im finding 3 unit is the best out of all of them .. and i havent really started 4 unit because our school hasnt put tog a class yet

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728
yeah im doing 2 unit, 3 unit and 4 unit .. im finding 3 unit is the best out of all of them .. and i havent really started 4 unit because our school hasnt put tog a class yet

I see well you're more likely to keep 4 unit i guess, like alot of people do, so dont worry too much on 2 unit... i mean just a word of advice, u really do know the less u care about sumfing u really ace it, back then in prelim in yr 11 i really aced my exams like no one else did becoz i knew it didnt count, but then in yr 12 once i realised its the HSC and i gotta do well it has to count i panicked and if screwed it all up, so id say u could try to calm urself with 2 unit becoz if u do crap in it drop it stick with 4 unit then, it's all fine, just do a little revision on those topics that ur teacher provided, based on past papers only nothing else, if u consult too many third party sources like other text books ur really gonna flunk the exam because ull feel overloaded with feeling that the questions are gonna be hard, so just stick with the past hsc paper questions for those topics u were given just do those ques and i gurantee ull do fine :D... and also keep in mind try not to care too much about the exam then ull be able to relieve tension as well and in the end do good, and good luck for your exam, if you got any specific questions post it, i'm willing to give a try and help out since i've got alot of free time and i still got maths in my brain :D

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Lol - thankyou .. the most pressure i have on me is coming first.. ive topped the class for the past 2 years and everyone expects that.. i would get soo much shit-- just joke whys -- from my friends, especially my boys :p !! there is this chick on my ass and she is really smart but im still that lil bit ahead of her ..call it luck!the only thing that i cant seem to get is maxima and minima its really shitting me ... Like this one a piece of qire is 20cm long. it is cut into two portions one being x, each portion is ben to form a rectangle in which the length is twice the breadth. show the sum of the areas is given by A=1/18 (2x^2-40x+400) and for wat value of x is this area a minimum.
another one is a window consists of a rectangle surmounted by a semi-circle having as its diamater the width of the rectangle. if the perimeter of the window is t metres, find the greatest posible area of the window.

Above all, like above beating people and trying to get my best mark and all that bullshit i have always kinda understood maths, its just my thing - like im not an english brain at all .. and when i dont get something i feel a total failure.
If you have time please take a look if not . no probs
thankyou so much xoxo

p.s. i know wat it feels like to have maths in my brain.. one night i worked for 5 hours on maths and when i went to bed i couldnt sleep so as a random thought i decided to count sheep (ive never done it b4 but aparently it works) and then i found myself calculating what was the probability of a sheep falling .. v. sad!

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
*shrug* i dunno .. i have three classes, and maybe my teacher doesnt believe im going thru with 4 unit .. we havent really started 4 unit yet?? im not sure-- i wouldnt have a clue i just know im doing it!

Winston

HSC
I was never a fan of maxima and minima problems lol i sucked at it so bad it was not funny, but the general pattern is giving you a Area they have formed and they want u to show the working of how they got that, basically wat u do first is fine the actual variable of one item in the area formula like for example im not using ur above example coz i hate looking at maths questions on a forum it confuses me lol... but for example they say find the area of this flat triangle, and uno the area of a triangle is 1/2 b x h, so you find one of it's variables, like... say they gave u the area of the triangle already as being

A = (24b - b^2) /2

i think your ultimate aim would be finding what h is equal to because if u take it out it will be

b(24 - b) / 2

so you needed to find h, i'm bad at explaining maxima and minima LOL! ill wait for a pro in that area to explain but yea i too dislike them :S.. coz they're gay lol... well obviously if they asked u to find wat the maximum or minimum thing is u just grab the area's equation and derive it and find it :D.. simple as that. bah ask sumfing else besides these gay ques :p

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
i kinda get it but im really bad at interpretting.. im great at working things out and analysing them .. i seem to be missing knowledge in the band 2 kinda of learning i.e. Undertanding, interpreting etc. if they give me a formula im fine but once they go on wid all this bullshit avoiding the point etc.. i cant get it!!!!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728
i kinda get it but im really bad at interpretting.. im great at working things out and analysing them .. i seem to be missing knowledge in the band 2 kinda of learning i.e. Undertanding, interpreting etc. if they give me a formula im fine but once they go on wid all this bullshit avoiding the point etc.. i cant get it!!!!
You know it's no ones fault, but most of these types of questions as well as superannuation and time payment questions are extremely worded badly and it requires careful reading and analyzing what's required, it's not easy it requires alot of practice.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by juggernaut
why, if your doing 4u, are u doing a 2u test
teachers are worried you'll drop ext 2 maths, which in some cases, people will drop after the first if not, before the half yearly. it would be rather stoopid if u didnt have a 2 u mark :p

if ur intending to keep 4 unit.. i'd stuff the 2 unit test .. :p
i did.. and yeah ! :D
only thing is that, you need to look reaosnably good.. kinda ugly if u did 4 unit and failed ur 2 unit exam :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)