First year commerce subjects (2 Viewers)

danielau

HSC
I know there is another subjects difficulty thread, but I was wondering if you guys who have studied commerce, could tell me which subjects are considered a wam booster or killer :) I'm planning to take all the boosters to ensure a smooth transfer in 2nd year so I don't need to get dragged down by wam boosters x( .

eg. ACCT1501 - Booster ( in this format)

ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics
MGMT1001 Managing Organisations&People
ACCT1511 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1B
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
FINS1613 Business Finance
INFS1602 Info Systems in Business
LEGT1710 Business and the Law
MARK1012 Marketing Fundamentals

You don't need them all! Just the ones you have done, or know a friend that has done it. Also what's the difference between core and flexi - core subjects?

Thanks for the input! =)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Core are subjects you must do.

Flexicore is a set of about six subjects, of which you have to do four or five (check your Handbook for the exact number).

These are WAM boosters:

ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics
FINS1613 Business Finance
INFS1602 Info Systems in Business

if you are good at maths.

WAM killer might be MGMT.

Depends on what you're good at. If you're bad at maths, FINS1613 or Business Stats might kill your WAM. Management is a WAM booster for a girl I know - but she's English minded.

michaeljennings

HSC
I second Shadowdude's post but yea mgmt1001 is generally considered as a wam killer but its not impossible to obtain a decent mark

danielau

HSC
Thank you shadowdude and michaeljennings for your input.

Can you guys please tell me WHY MGMT1001 is considered a WAM killer? I am seriously considering dropping this subject now. I have asked both whirlpool forums and BoS forums and the general consensus is "unless you are good at BSing then you won't get a good mark". Why is that? Really considering swapping it out now for FINS1613 or another subject because I hear that FINS1613 is a really good booster. As for the other subjects I will probably do them in sem 2.

@shadowdude When you say good at maths, how good? I did ext 1 maths at highschool and got a e3. Is this considered good enough for it to be a wam booster?

danielau

HSC
I second Shadowdude's post but yea mgmt1001 is generally considered as a wam killer but its not impossible to obtain a decent mark
Hmm what is a decent mark that most people get? If it is really essay heavy based then I'm not too good at it unfortunately... I got band 5 in standard english. I want to aim for a high 75+ 80~ to be safe for a transfer in 2nd year :)

michaeljennings

HSC
yea you should be fine if you got e3 really, the 'math' in first year comm subjects is really easy

Its just one of those subjects where the amount you study doesnt correlate to how well you do. Helps if youre good at writing but again its not like the higher your HSC english mark was the better you'll go. But yea the marking is pretty subjective so thats also another reason why

michaeljennings

HSC
Hmm what is a decent mark that most people get? If it is really essay heavy based then I'm not too good at it unfortunately... I got band 5 in standard english. I want to aim for a high 75+ 80~ to be safe for a transfer in 2nd year :)
well i got 77 which I was really surprised with since I put in no effort at all and pretty much just wrote random stuff in the final but yea some of my friends got HD's so its not impossible but yea one of my mates has a first year wam of 87 and that was with like 71 in MGMT and about 90 in every other subject hes taken

danielau

HSC
Oh nice! A 77 is still a distinction none the less XD For writing random stuff in the finals.... haha. Do you think I should swap it out for FINS1613? Everyone I have asked recommends it as a booster. Also, if I do that I will be able to squeeze uni into 3 days and not 4.

michaeljennings

HSC
are you trying to transfer to commlaw? If so you can take mgmt1001 once youve done your transfer you dont need to do it in your first year. If youre transfering into something other than comm then you wont even have to bother with mgmt1001

So yea do fins1613, im doing it this sem too =)

danielau

HSC
are you trying to transfer to commlaw? If so you can take mgmt1001 once youve done your transfer you dont need to do it in your first year. If youre transfering into something other than comm then you wont even have to bother with mgmt1001

So yea do fins1613, im doing it this sem too =)
Yup com / law Because it's a core I was thinking to take it in the 2nd year because I will need to take it regardless and if I do not so well I will still be in the course none the less :)

michaeljennings

HSC
Yup com / law Because it's a core I was thinking to take it in the 2nd year because I will need to take it regardless and if I do not so well I will still be in the course none the less :)
yea definitely take it in your 2nd year then, dont do it now. This year you needed 75 to transfer into commlaw so if you exclude mgmt you should be able to do it cos heaps of the courses jsut require like half an effort and youll get an HD

danielau

HSC
I don't think it will be THAT easy will it XD ? Are you a first year student too?

Oh btw I changed mgmt1001 to fins1613 but for some reason the class is pending. Do you know what that means? Does it mean I just need to wait a while for it to enrol or is there something wrong with my timetable? There is no clashes? Just 5 hours of classes straight O.O

michaeljennings

HSC
I don't think it will be THAT easy will it XD ? Are you a first year student too?

Oh btw I changed mgmt1001 to fins1613 but for some reason the class is pending. Do you know what that means? Does it mean I just need to wait a while for it to enrol or is there something wrong with my timetable? There is no clashes? Just 5 hours of classes straight O.O
Well if you study a reasonable amount, attend most of your tutorials you should be able to get 75. I mean if youre set on transferring into law you should make it in. I know not everyone doesnt have a wam of 75+ but thats because they werent aiming for 75 to begin with. You dont have to put in a lot of effort to get decent results in first year comm subjects. nah im a 2nd year but im doing fins1613 this semester

Im not quite sure with the 'class pending' thing =/

HSC
Uni Grad
Well if you study a reasonable amount, attend most of your tutorials you should be able to get 75. I mean if youre set on transferring into law you should make it in. I know not everyone doesnt have a wam of 75+ but thats because they werent aiming for 75 to begin with. You dont have to put in a lot of effort to get decent results in first year comm subjects. nah im a 2nd year but im doing fins1613 this semester

Im not quite sure with the 'class pending' thing =/
Smart one here. QQ I studied somewhat but didn't do well at all (fucking final exams killing my wam) =_='

michaeljennings

HSC
XD.

Where do we UNSW students get past papers from? I hear that uni past papers are useless because the content changes yearly? (correct me if i'm wrong :) )
It depends on the subject. For math1151 and 1251 they recycled a lot of the questions

I heard that fins1613 papers were hard to find last sem? Generally I just look my subjects up on the library website for past papers

asz

HSC
N/A
Alot of the past exam papers for commerce subjects can be found on library website. i remember when i did fins1613 there was hardly any, but that might have changed.

In relation to which of those subjects would be easy, for me acct1501, mgmt1001, mark1012 and legt1710 were the easiest from on that list. Hardest for me was econ1203, macro and micro where somewhere in the middle. I didn't do Info1062.

You can never judge which is easy or hard for you until you have actually done the subject because different people like different subjects, and also courses can vary from semester to semester, and the assessments might change, so all these can have an impact.

michaeljennings

HSC
Alot of the past exam papers for commerce subjects can be found on library website. i remember when i did fins1613 there was hardly any, but that might have changed.

In relation to which of those subjects would be easy, for me acct1501, mgmt1001, mark1012 and legt1710 were the easiest from on that list. Hardest for me was econ1203, macro and micro where somewhere in the middle. I didn't do Info1062.

You can never judge which is easy or hard for you until you have actually done the subject because different people like different subjects, and also courses can vary from semester to semester, and the assessments might change, so all these can have an impact.
yea this is true, I found micro and macro easy just because I had done HSC eco

a19901213

HSC
ECON1203 was REALLY REALLY hard last semester. I'm not sure what it was like in previous years, but if they maintain the difficulty for ECON1203 like we had last semester, then it probably won't be a good idea for you to do it as WAM booster. (you probably wouldn't believe how hard the final was for ECON1203, luckily they scaled up the result otherwise probably most people gonna fail the course)

Also I did FIN1613 in first semester 2012, and it was fairly easy. But from what I heard the course became extremely hard last semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)