First year elective: Info systems (1 Viewer)

specialkay1990

HSC
Hey, I'm doing Commerce at UNSW this year (first year - undergraduate) and chose Info Systems as an elective.

I was wondering if any students currently doing the course or have done it in the past can tell me what they think of the course, whether they thought it was easy or hard?

I would really like to transfer next year into UNSW combined law program under their new scheme (uai of 95 and above + distinction average = guaranteed place in UNSW law) so I was also wondering if a distinction or even better, a high distinction, is easily achieved in this subject (with some study of course)?

Anyone else on BOS choose this as a first year elective? If so, what were your reasons for choosing it?

I have no background knowledge on Info Systems at all so if anyone can tell me what kind of work is involved or what they liked/disliked about the course, that would be great! :)

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
All my seng classmates tell me Business Data Management is incredibly boring.

Lavenderpup

HSC
I've heard it was easy to get distinctions and high distinctions in this subject...which is probably why I'll be doing it this semester to boost my WAM. However it is rather basic. There wouldn't be a lot of maths in it, and I believe last year they used a book on Microsoft Access. It will probably mostly theory and some databases?

nexu

HSC
i did it 08s1 and it was a horribly designed course back then
it was a course where tutors didn't know anything, hence not really that good for scoring
the lectures were all guest lectures and in tutes, you would work in groups of 3 to work through a worksheet that could be assessed on. they combine your marks from 3 random weeks' worksheet.
the mid-sems and final quiz was all textbook+lecture notes
i managed a 72 without trying but even if i tried harder, i doubt i could have gotten much better as this course is total bs
if you can, pick a cse course :p they are unscaled and can boost wam like crazy if you do well

specialkay1990

HSC
i did it 08s1 and it was a horribly designed course back then
it was a course where tutors didn't know anything, hence not really that good for scoring
the lectures were all guest lectures and in tutes, you would work in groups of 3 to work through a worksheet that could be assessed on. they combine your marks from 3 random weeks' worksheet.
the mid-sems and final quiz was all textbook+lecture notes
i managed a 72 without trying but even if i tried harder, i doubt i could have gotten much better as this course is total bs
if you can, pick a cse course :p they are unscaled and can boost wam like crazy if you do well
Just wondering, what courses would you recommend?

Last edited:

nexu

HSC
most commerce courses are way easier and give higher marks than engineering/science courses

just pick whatever you like as most likely you will do better with it

dvse

HSC
N/A
Run, don't walk away from Information Systems. There isn't a single competent academic in the whole school and every course, without exception, is utter garbage.

If you want to learn _anything_ about computers, do BCom/BSc with computer science.

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
Run, don't walk away from Information Systems. There isn't a single competent academic in the whole school and every course, without exception, is utter garbage.

If you want to learn _anything_ about computers, do BCom/BSc with computer science.
I don't know what you base your comments on but they are very broad. Ok so first year INFS courses aren't crash hot...I wouldn't recommend anyone to do 1602 in fact. Nothing compared to how much you learn in COMP first year sure. But 1603 is a great course taught by a good lecturer, the tutors for INFS are generally bad but a lot of COMP tutors don't do much either.

Maybe you don't really understand the difference between INFS and COMP. If you want to learn how to code well and learn lots of algorithms then you go do COMP which is incidentally the science of computing. INFS is about designing systems using computing technology for manipulation of information hence the name information systems.

So if you are into the geeky stuff, COMP is a lot more interesting than INFS, but that is your point of view. There is a reason for SENG students to do INFS subjects because they need to understand the system design as well as write the code. I know all SENG people prob hate INFS but meh...INFS teaches you skills that you need in business, which is why INFS is under the faculty of business and not engineering or science.

Good high level design along with good code makes a good program/service. Maybe next time you should think a little before making broad unsupported comments.

EDIT: For specialkay1990, if you are good with words and don't really want to learn about databases (INFS1603) but rather prefer generic boring stuff that would probably boost your WAM if you can stand the vague nature of Information Systems in Business......do INFS1602......where if you know what you are talking about, writing heaps and giving a few examples will score high marks

Last edited:

dvse

HSC
N/A
Maybe you don't really understand the difference between INFS and COMP.
I do indeed - the difference is akin to that between astrology and astronomy or homeopathy and 'modern' medicine. Not to defend COMP, one may well not learn much there either.

There is a reason for SENG students to do INFS subjects because they need to understand the system design as well as write the code <...> INFS teaches you skills that you need in business, which is why INFS is under the faculty of business and not engineering or science.

Good high level design along with good code makes a good program/service. <...>
Oh yes, someone who has no idea whatsoever about the underlying technology, but is versed in "system analysis and design" is sure to deliver a good program or service. He will never even be able to see past vendor lies.

Go easy on the kool-aid. IS prepares you for the role of a 'business analyst' - someone who understands neither business nor IT and is a nuisance to both.

Last edited:

nexu

HSC
im pretty sure you shouldnt expect to learn much from uni. most things will be picked when you start working.

im learning 100x more at Atlassian than uni and i do BIT. of course i do agree the CSE faculty is much better than the school of IS in terms of lectures/classes but it doesnt mean you are screwed upon graduating. a BIT could easily head towards developing or be on the other end as a project manager.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
That's because you're working for atlassian :p It's a good place to work. It was founded by ex-BITs and they understand what you are capable of/know how to train you up. Don't expect the same quality of work environment from all companies.

It's a hit and miss with work. There are a lot of companies out there where there isn't much to learn, and all they want is for you to maintain or add features to some legacy product, where most of their development is outsourced to people who write shocking code and you're surprised that it even works. There's no documentation, and no one in your office understands any of it either. I wouldn't have survived there without the second year comp subjects I took.

(my first IT shall not be named :p)

Moral of the story: find a good place to work.

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
lol at sloppy coding practices.

Actually its quite sobering to think that I might end up in the same boat... :(

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
Oh yes, someone who has no idea whatsoever about the underlying technology, but is versed in "system analysis and design" is sure to deliver a good program or service. He will never even be able to see past vendor lies.
You seem to assume that being a BA instant places you in the technology illiterate category, even so high level design is not meant to nor need involve actual understanding of the implemented technology. But that said, I think a BA without technical knowledge is never going to be a good BA (reason provided by you).

Conversely, I'd say that some who has a complete grasp of many technologies, but has no idea of business needs will not be able to deliver a good system. He will write a bunch of code to do some cool stuff.

I seem to recall that I said both programming knowledge and system design knowledge is needed to make a good program.

Go easy on the kool-aid. IS prepares you for the role of a 'business analyst' - someone who understands neither business nor IT and is a nuisance to both.
This is a kool discussion. So these annoying BAs (who are paid, generally speaking, the same or more than developers) have no use at all? Bash bash bash........

dvse

HSC
N/A
im pretty sure you shouldnt expect to learn much from uni. most things will be picked when you start working.

im learning 100x more at Atlassian than uni and i do BIT. of course i do agree the CSE faculty is much better than the school of IS in terms of lectures/classes but it doesnt mean you are screwed upon graduating. a BIT could easily head towards developing or be on the other end as a project manager.
I agree, but BIT is quite different from a normal IS degree - coop gives you experience working at several large companies, which does wonders for your employability.

But if you are not in the program, surely you would want a degree that teaches you something of value since you dont get sponsor placements? In my opinion this is not really about job prospects etc, but trying to get a reasonable education while you still have time - it will only get harder later on.

dvse

HSC
N/A
You seem to assume that being a BA instant places you in the technology illiterate category, even so high level design is not meant to nor need involve actual understanding of the implemented technology. But that said, I think a BA without technical knowledge is never going to be a good BA (reason provided by you).

Conversely, I'd say that some who has a complete grasp of many technologies, but has no idea of business needs will not be able to deliver a good system. He will write a bunch of code to do some cool stuff.

I seem to recall that I said both programming knowledge and system design knowledge is needed to make a good program.
I don't think we actually disagree - you are pretty much talking about BIT and it's a good program and it's indeed possible to learn something there (from industrial placements) . But I strongly believe that if you don't have coop, the right thing to do for BA/PM would be something like BCom/BSc or BCom/BEng degree - you will have a much better understanding of both business and IT than from the watered down crap in IS.

And don't even get me started on the number of totally incompetent BAs I had to work with (from business side) - the only way to get anything done has always been to talk to developers directly.

Last edited:

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
I don't think we actually disagree - you are pretty much talking about BIT and it's a good program and it's indeed possible to learn something there (from industrial placements) . But I strongly believe that if you don't have coop, the right thing to do for BA/PM would be something like BCom/BSc or BCom/BEng degree - you will have a much better understanding of both business and IT than from the watered down crap in IS.

And don't even get me started on the number of totally incompetent BAs I had to work with (from business side) - the only way to get anything done has always been to talk to developers directly.
Fortunately, I am a BIT.....=P. There are always going to be incompetent people at work...There seems to be a shortage of skilled BAs so that's probably why there are more dodgy BAs around. But devs who churn out defects after defects isn't a pretty site either. IS in commerce is more of a second major anyway.

qwertyasdfgh91

HSC
Hey,

I'm enrolled in Commerce/economics..

the elective i chose was FINS1612
does this only contribute to the major of finance?

Also, double majors are possible yes?
I was thinking about doing majors in accounting and finance,
So is choosing FINS1612 as the elective for my 1st semester the right move to be able to double major in accounting and finance?

Thanks

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
dude you are in the wrong thread and you should have opened a new thread.

but yes fins stands for finance and yes fins1612 is part of a finance major. and please read the handbook before asking any uneccesary questions.

and you should really have a look at the cpa qualification and also the handbook for the accounting major as well and also the double major for your program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)