First Year Engineering (1 Viewer)

JanieGeldenhuys

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm starting Engineering at UNSW this year and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for the following subjects:

MATH1141
PHYS1131
COMP1911
ENGG1000

I would also like to know if any one knows if (and possibly where) I could obtain electronic versions of the textbooks?

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
Some of these things may have changed, but this is how it's been for the past few years:

MATH1141: There's a thread with useful information here. You won't be able to get an electronic version of the textbook because it's printed at UNSW each year. Don't worry, it's cheap (well, relatively, around $45) but very very good! The other prescribed textbook you generally won't need. The Higher course is significantly more difficult than the lower, but the grades scale up quite nicely.

PHYS1131: I found that you can get through the course without the textbook quite easily. However, the textbook is very good for the follow on course PHYS1231, but you can find it easily online anyway. Unlike for Maths, the higher course is exactly the same as the lower course, except you do more questions in the final exam. Higher grades scale up quite nicely too. I recommend doing Higher even if you think you might not be able to.

COMP1911: A much better choice than the "Computing for Engineers" course, ENGG1811. It's very breezy if you have no programming experience at all or even know what programming means. If you do, take the higher course, COMP1917. It is a much better introduction to computing overall. If you know any programming at all it should be quite a simple course. If you don't, some people tend to find it difficult. The textbook is completely unnecessary as programming is something you can find an abundance of resources on the web for. However, if you really struggle, consider buying it.

ENGG1000: While you don't need the textbook (it is completely useless), when I did the course we were required to write a report, and the report has to have a bunch of useless BS from the textbook (if you want to get a HD in the course at all). Find a copy in the library and photocopy the relevant pages, and you'll have all you need.

Last edited:

JanieGeldenhuys

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the response. I think I'll take your advice and enrol in COMP1917 instead as I did do Software Design and Development in High School and I did fairly well in it.

Are there any forms to find past papers on for any of the subjects? I could only find past papers for MATH1141 on the library website but nothing else. Also is there an exam for COMP1917 or COMP1911?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Your lecturer may release MATH1141 past exam papers on Moodle or Blackboard (like an online site where you download lecture notes, etc.)

Also, the Mathematics Society have a lovely set of MATH1141 past class test solutions too - which you'll find very helpful.

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the response. I think I'll take your advice and enrol in COMP1917 instead as I did do Software Design and Development in High School and I did fairly well in it.

Are there any forms to find past papers on for any of the subjects? I could only find past papers for MATH1141 on the library website but nothing else. Also is there an exam for COMP1917 or COMP1911?
Yes, there is an exam for COMP1917. I assume the same is true of COMP1911. There are practical (write some programs) and written (describe some things) components for the exam. I can't find any past exams.

Apparently there are now course notes for COMP1917 that you can buy, similar to MATH1131/1141. They didn't have these in my day so I don't know if they're any good but I assume they would be.

ENGG1000 doesn't have an exam, you just do a report (or more, depending on which you pick) on your project.

D94

HSC
N/A
The COMP1911/1917 exam is purely online, as in, you'll be sitting at a computer and typing in your answers, code, solutions, discussion etc. in textbox fields. There is also a programming component which you must pass to pass the course.

There are past papers for 1911/1917, but they are old and the format has changed (although, they are still useful) - you will be linked to them in your tutorial/lab.

HSC
don't buy the textbook for phys1131. if you find you really don't understand the lecture notes (which, i have to admit, are either very helpful, or absolutely terrible) then it's very simple to find an ebook version. if anything, the most handy things you'll get for phys1131 is the homework booklet, which has some really good questions, and the huge supply of past papers with worked answers.

JanieGeldenhuys

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for all the replies. I was also wondering if anyone has any tips for ELEC1112 and also do I need a textbook for this subject?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)