First year Math help (1 Viewer)

xuvu6520

HSC
SeDaTeD said:
You have to do the cross product first because if you did the dot product first, you'll be crossing a scalar with a vector, which doesn't work.
ooopse!!!

heheheh.

btw. I dunno whose account is this. This guy was logged in from Mathematics Library.

LostAuzzie

HSC
I'm stuck with question 4d.
Find the equation of the line that lies in plane p passes through point C and is perpendicular to the line l
I tried using the fact that the line is perpendicular to l and the normal to p, but that ended up giving me a plane
Anyone got any ideas, no answers just an idea of how to approach it
Any help would be much appreciated

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
LostAuzzie said:
Find the equation of the line that lies in plane p passes through point C and is perpendicular to the line l
I tried using the fact that the line is perpendicular to l and the normal to p, but that ended up giving me a plane
Anyone got any ideas, no answers just an idea of how to approach it
Any help would be much appreciated
i forget if i could do that one. i'll get back to you tomorrow after my notes have dried. yes, i did spill a whole full glass of water on all my math1002notes. fuck

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
LostAuzzie said:
Post a copy of the assignment. Maths website is down or something. Or it's just me.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
It's the line in the plane P which is perpendicular to the projection of l onto P. Just work out the projection of l onto P, and then cross product its direction with the normal of P to find the direction of your required line.

Given the intersection coordinates you can find the equation of the line (i.e. you have the gradient (direction) and a point on the line)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Is that assignment worth more than 5%? Last year we had like 2, 3 questions tops in an assignment.

LostAuzzie

HSC
KeypadSDM said:
It's the line in the plane P which is perpendicular to the projection of l onto P. Just work out the projection of l onto P, and then cross product its direction with the normal of P to find the direction of your required line.

Given the intersection coordinates you can find the equation of the line (i.e. you have the gradient (direction) and a point on the line)
Thankyou for that, very much appreciated

And acmilan, only 2 of the questions are marked

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
ok here are my issues:

1c) find a unit vector perpecndicular to a and b+c
now i can find one perp. to a, but how do i find one perp to both?

2b) i figure i have to use the result from part a), and then use pythag. or sometihing...but how & where & why does a . b come into it?
2c) maybe would make more sense if i had b)??

also 4c) and d)
they make me cry.

any help is welcomed help and possibly repaid in sexual favours. ;)

heart

sm:)e
HSC
for 1c) it's just a x (b+c)... and then make the result into a unit vector

2b) Just say |AP|²= AP.AP and then a.b will come in the answer and do the same for |CP|²

c) this does make more sense if you do 2b

And i don't think i did 4c properly =P

Libbster

HSC
um yeah, i really should go and start the assignment. lol

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
The markers for this assignment must be pretty lazy lol
You should complete all questions, but only two will be marked
i hope they picked the questions i'm doing well.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
okay. how i love this thread
this is a last resort cause ive tried and really can't do any of the following from the math1001 assignment:
3b
4c

http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/UG/JM/MATH1001/r/PDF/ass2.pdf

for 3b, i looked at how the limit behaves as you approach along x-axis, y-axis and the line x=y. and for all i got them to be = 0. essentially i was trying to show that the limit didn't exist, but to my understanding it doesn't exist if all those values aren't equal. so is the limit = 0? or does it exist? wah

4c, trying to sub in x = pi/2 and x= 3pi/2 and show that they are different signs. they both = 0
:/ :confused:

5, no fucking idea

please help meeeeee thankyou <3

SeDaTeD

HSC
For 3 b, let it approach the origin along y=kx, for some constant k.

for 4c, use part a, which says the limit as x-> pi/2 is 1, and that f(x) is essentially the same as the equation except for one point and that it is continuous. Sub in 3pi/2 then use intermediate value theorem.

q5, by MVT, you have, for some c, a<c<b, -sin(c) = [cos(b)-cos(a)]/[b-a]. But |-sin(c)| =< 1 for any c. so |[cos(b)-cos(a)]/[b-a]| =< 1. Rearrange to get the result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)