First Year Mathematics A (Differentiation & Linear Algebra) (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
Re: MATH1131 help thread

I pretty much just rote learned that part lol, it's always the same type of computation.
Can someone give me the general case or the general 'how to do' because I'm completely lost.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Use the mean value theorem to prove that for x>0

ln(1+x) > x/(1+x)
Let f(t) := ln(1+t), for t ≥ 0. Let x > 0 be a fixed real number.

Using MVT, as f is continuous on [0,x] and differentiable on (0,x), we know there is a c in (0,x) such that

f'(c) = [f(x) - f(0)]/(x-0).

But f'(c) = 1/(1+c), and f(0) = ln 1 = 0. So we get

1/(1+c) = f(x)/x for some c with 0 < c < x.

I.e. f(x) = x/(1+c) > x/(1+x), as c < x. QED!

Flop21

HSC

COMP1917 student, should be having no trouble wif Maple!!
It's not using MAPLE, they give you the computations and you gotta do the math. The math I struggle.

Flop21

HSC

That question is cancer period. Btw if you are doing past papers, i would recommend the 2015 one cause that one was a bit more harder than the rest
How much longer are you going to study tonight? Are your studying for math1131/41?

Mr_Kap

HSC

ive been cramming all day non stop. probably watched around 6hrs of Chris Tisdell Algbra vids plus some khan academy vids....all on 2x speed. Learnt ALL of matrices today lol, i thought matrices were hard ahaha.

But ive realised how fkd i am. like its literally a race to see if i can pass. Can't answer any q4, so 20 marks already gone...

Flop21

HSC

ive been cramming all day non stop. probably watched around 6hrs of Chris Tisdell Algbra vids plus some khan academy vids....all on 2x speed. Learnt ALL of matrices today lol, i thought matrices were hard ahaha.

But ive realised how fkd i am. like its literally a race to see if i can pass. Can't answer any q4, so 20 marks already gone...
Yeah it's going to be a complete game tomorrow. "can I skip this and still pass??" at each question lol.

So yeah I'm going to aim to complete 3 questions fully and well.

Same same, started at like 10am today. Are you still studying now??

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

If you need more past papers, not sure how long your book goes up to, I take the course many many years ago, I can scoop up some older 08-09-10 ones possibly if you need extra practice.

Mr_Kap

HSC

Yeah it's going to be a complete game tomorrow. "can I skip this and still pass??" at each question lol.

So yeah I'm going to aim to complete 3 questions fully and well.

Same same, started at like 10am today. Are you still studying now??
yeh still studyiong now. BUT I AM SET. I ONLY NEED 27.1% in final to PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but still. i want to get 58 in maths meaning i need 40.5% in final exam

Flop21

HSC

If you need more past papers, not sure how long your book goes up to, I take the course many many years ago, I can scoop up some older 08-09-10 ones possibly if you need extra practice.
I appreciate it truly, although I don't think I'll need them because I've got enough questions here to get through. Thanks anyway :)

Flop21

HSC

yeh still studyiong now. BUT I AM SET. I ONLY NEED 26.66666% in final to PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but still. i want to get 58 in maths meaning i need 40.5% in final exam
wtF how lucky are you (and by lucky I mean a decent student who does class tests + maple lol)

I failed class tests and only did half the maple tutorials that count lol, so I need 50% to pass and I'm super scared.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

yeh still studyiong now. BUT I AM SET. I ONLY NEED 26.66666% in final to PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but still. i want to get 58 in maths meaning i need 40.5% in final exam
I think they have a certain mark requirement for your degree don't they from memory?

Mr_Kap

HSC

wtF how lucky are you (and by lucky I mean a decent student who does class tests + maple lol)

I failed class tests and only did half the maple tutorials that count lol, so I need 50% to pass and I'm super scared.
yeh ahaha. class tests got 10, 0, 8, 7. (last two of them with study night b4 memorisng how to do the questions from past class tests).

only did 5/8 online tutorials.

got full marks in both MAPLE components

Mr_Kap

HSC

I think they have a certain mark requirement for your degree don't they from memory?
oi nah nah nah nah nah.. where da fk u find this info from? im fkd if thats the case

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

oi nah nah nah nah nah.. where da fk u find this info from? im fkd if thats the case
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3945.html

"12. Progression to Stages 2, 3, and 4 of this program is subject to academic performance. Students will be required to attain a minimum weighted average mark (WAM) of 70 in each semester. If a student does not maintain this minimum level of academic performance, they will be transferred to the 3983 Science / Computer Science program."

Don't worry though from what I have heard they are lenient if you get close to the minimum.

I should warn you however that for COMP subjects later in your future you will need to do well in all assessment components because many courses take your course mark calculations as harmonic mean calculations, meaning it punishes uneven performances.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

Yeah for adv science. But it's the average I'm pretty sure, so if you do well in your other subjects you should be fine.

But dude you got those marks for your class tests studying just one night before... you will smash this test who are you kidding lol.

Mr_Kap

HSC

Yeah for adv science. But it's the average I'm pretty sure, so if you do well in your other subjects you should be fine.

But dude you got those marks for your class tests studying just one night before... you will smash this test who are you kidding lol.
oh good, yeh i already knew about 70 WAM lol, i though a minimum math mark was needed or some shit. i may not care about honours year anyway and get dropped to science/comp sci.

nah nah. i can't answer ANY OF THE q4. ALSO, i dont know how to integrate...and i dont have time to study that right now so yeh. ive even forgotten 2u integration lel.

seriously though. it feels like im not even taking math this sem...apart from those 4 days all up i studied for class tests...and the 2 days i did maple.

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

^ Technically there is a minimum mark for MATH for higher version courses in second year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)