First year student: Buying textbooks now or later... (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, I've used the co-op online shop to work out how much my textbooks are going to cost. The total is $390, except one subject hasnt got any books registered, so i'm guessing the total will be more around $400-$450.

Someone suggested waiting until class starts as occasionally textbooks wont actually be needed for class. However if I do wait until class actually begins I wont be able to use booko or bookdepository, as I will probably need them before they arrive.

Should I just spend the $390 now and buy everything it tells me to?
Should I use booko/bookdepository and buy the books for cheaper now?
Should I wait until Uni starts and I am told which books are necessary?

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Wait
Then look for people selling them 2nd hand

Probably save a couple hundred

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Buy on ebay you can get them even cheaper, and within a few days

converge

HSC
N/A
I think its best to wait. Once class starts you can use sites like textbookexchange to get your books second hand. Another option is to keep track of your university notice boards as there will be students selling their books.

HSC
are international versions the same as aus version?
It honestly depends. I remember one year we were instructed to buy the aus version of a first year chemistry book...all that was different was that there were interviews with Australian chemists in there, along with some information that was relevant to australia in the world of chemistry. I didn't get the international version, but I'm pretty sure the information is the same, and they might change a few of the practice questions around. If it's a science textbook, sometimes international texts, especially if they're from the US, may use slightly different units, so it can be confusing.

Dylanamali

HSC
do you recommend places to get cheap textbooks?
specifically for science: bio, chem, phys, maths etc.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What university is this for? And what subjects?

izzy88

HSC
Depends on what you are studying, beware of second hand textbooks. For example. Law subjects tends to release new textbook every second year and you generally need to get the most up to date as the law will have changed (sometimes not much, sometimes rather dramatically).

Fake-Name

HSC
What university is this for? And what subjects?
what units and what books?
Macquarie University:
AHIS170 - Egyptian archaeology
AHIS278 - Egyptian Hieroglyphics A (However Co-op doesnt say what books I need.)
ENGL120 - Introductory English
MHIS115 - Introductory World History (Although textbooks and the fact that Christian is lecturer tells me this is going to be Introductory Big History, which I'm totally cool with) :)

Oh and thanks guys for the suggestions of Ebay and textbookexchange, Didnt even consider them

HSC
For science, I just look through booko and bookdepository and try my luck there...or look for pdfs that people have uploaded. They usually give you a week or so grace period to get your books together, so you could be able to order when they tell you to get such and such a book. However if course outlines are already made available, and the recommended/required text is linked there, then try searching for it online. I've only ever purchased 3 brand new textbooks - only because I couldn't find them online/they were only available for sale in Australia etc. Also, check out if the publishers offer an ebook version as well as a hard copy version. The ebook versions can be a little cheaper, not by a huge discount, but they are lower in price then their physical versions.

Textbooks are a scummy business :(

HSC
Also check out amazon as well. I've found a few things there in the past, but make sure that you check the condition they're selling it to you in. Can be a bit dodgy sometimes :(

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Macquarie University:
AHIS278 - Egyptian Hieroglyphics A (However Co-op doesnt say what books I need.)
MHIS115 - Introductory World History (Although textbooks and the fact that Christian is lecturer tells me this is going to be Introductory Big History, which I'm totally cool with) :)

Oh and thanks guys for the suggestions of Ebay and textbookexchange, Didnt even consider them
Just curious. Why do you need this? For what course?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Macquarie University:

what books for ahis170? you'll probably have boyo ockingyas' book for heiroglyphs.

Last edited:

Fake-Name

HSC
Just curious. Why do you need this? For what course?
I'm doing a Bachelor of Ancient History, ENGL120, which is actually called 'Approaches to English Literature' (Couldnt think of it), is an elective unit of mine... I didnt want to do it, but its pretty much a perquisite for other elective units I want to do: Medieval literature, Shakespeare and the Renaissance, etc.

I'm a big fan of Bookdepository, not sure about amazon though. Postage is often more than the product.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I'm a big fan of Bookdepository, not sure about amazon though. Postage is often more than the product.
Thanks for the info.

Won't it be cheaper if you bought several books in 1 order? Or perhaps group order with a couple of friends to save on postage/book.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
There are Australian websites which are listed via Booko which will provide the textbooks you require at prices lower than Co-Op.

Fake-Name

HSC
Thanks for the info.

Won't it be cheaper if you bought several books in 1 order? Or perhaps group order with a couple of friend to save on postage/book.
Lmao. Yea that could work pretty well. Good idea.

There are Australian websites which are listed via Booko which will provide the textbooks you require at prices lower than Co-Op.
All of my searches on Booko list Bookdepository (US) as the cheapest.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
That may be the case but the Australian websites are still cheaper than your Australian brick and mortar bookstores. If you're tossing up between making sure you get what you need and the time you required to get them delivered, that will be the best option if you're not buying before semester starts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)