First Year Student Help (1 Viewer)

RGB

Custom User Title
HSC
Hi,

I think the Uni is still on hols so they didn't really reply to my e-mails.

I am having inertial troubles with changing environments to Uni life.

I am doing B of I.T. major in Network Design and Mangement.

My questions are:

What is with electives? I enrolled but i think only for the core courses, how do i know what electives are right for my major and how do i enroll?

What is the go with tutorials? Is there many groups of the same tutorial just so we have smaller tutorial classes? and should slecting them be only based on what time suits me as all of them are the same just a matter of which people are in your group?

I am paying student contribution upfront, does this mean each semester upfront or the whole year or whole degree upfront?

Where can i find a guid to interperting my timetable? it has lecture @ X time OR lecture at Y time, are they also the same just repeated for people who have work and need to work around the time?

In Autum I am currently enrolled into 3 subjects do i do all three each week till the end of the season? It doesn't say week 1-6 of Autum and 6-whatever unlike High school where we work one one subject and finish and then go to the next.

During enrollment i got a timetable for BIT but the one in my SOLS looks different, what?

Thanks, just leave any questions you can't answer, I think i'll have to call in to someone at the Uni.

Thanks in advanced

princessrach

HSC
Honey the electives are called electives because you can do what you want. Im doing a creative arts degree and I did a philosophy elective and a languages elective last year. Im pretty sure if you stick to something within your faculty then it will help, if thats what your up for! Maybe talk to someone in your faculty to be sure!

Next, your tutorials are all the same. There will be several for each subject, each covering the exact same material. So the only thing you need to worry about is the timing.

I think student contribution is yearly but Im not 100% sure.

The lectures are often repeated so if it says you have a lecture at either 1 or 5 then you can choose - they should be the same.

You will probably do each subject each week all session. Kind of like in high school how you do maths, english and science all year.

Stick with the timetable you were given. SOLS timetables cant always be trusted!

Let me know if you have any other questions!
~Rach

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
RGB said:
What is with electives? I enrolled but i think only for the core courses, how do i know what electives are right for my major and how do i enroll?
I don't know specifically about electives for your course but for mine they can be anything I want.

What is the go with tutorials? Is there many groups of the same tutorial just so we have smaller tutorial classes? and should slecting them be only based on what time suits me as all of them are the same just a matter of which people are in your group?
All tutorials are the same. Select one that fits best with your timetable.

I am paying student contribution upfront, does this mean each semester upfront or the whole year or whole degree upfront?
No idea. I'd imagine it's yearly though.

Where can i find a guid to interperting my timetable? it has lecture @ X time OR lecture at Y time, are they also the same just repeated for people who have work and need to work around the time?
If it says Lecture X OR Lecture Y then you can go to either of them because it's the same lecture repeated. If it says Lecture X AND Lecture Y then you have to go to both of them because they cover different topics.

In Autum I am currently enrolled into 3 subjects do i do all three each week till the end of the season? It doesn't say week 1-6 of Autum and 6-whatever unlike High school where we work one one subject and finish and then go to the next.
You do those three subjects all semester. University is not at all like high school. You do x number of subjects per semester, all semester.

During enrollment i got a timetable for BIT but the one in my SOLS looks different, what?
The timetable isn't always set in stone, it can change quite a bit before uni starts. The one on SOLS would be the most up to date.

RGB

Custom User Title
HSC
Thank you all for the help and info.
Well expect for the "This person is too stupid to be at university." (despite agreeing with it)
For you it may be just answering questions that may be obvious or on the UOW website but for me you have helped me drop some stress, I have been losing sleep thinking about going to Uni.

I come from one of those families that believe in the "if you don't get into uni your a failular and will be a low paid loser for the rest of your life. HSC is a once in a lifetime chance to improve your future or your scrwed" theory.

From primary school I have always followed the rules of school like a straight line because it was always implied that if you do things wrong you may screw up your chance at school. Rebel or even fun was never used in the same sentence with my name by my friends, thats the kind of person I am. I was going to try and make a fresh start at Uni but due to old habbits i could not go to my first week without knowing exactly what was going on and how everything operated. I should be like my friend and try to pick things up as I go and relax but not being able to sleep last night made me attack the web on MSN contacts, Myspace messages and e-mails to the uni on my previously discussed isses.

{sighs} Thank you all so so much. . .

decypher

HSC
RGB said:
Tutorials are classes based on the previous week's lecture material. They may involve exercises, class discussions, tests etc. They are all the same so just pick the best time.

RGB said:
Do you mean HECS? If so you'll get sent a bill saying you owe $Y because its $X per subject. If it's HECS the government will cover it or you can pay it upfront to receive a discount. If you arre DFEE then you have to pay it before a certain date or you may lose your spot. You will get a letter telling you exactly what to do and how to do it.

RGB said:
Subjects last all session (so 13 weeks). Subjects are also more involved than school. Most subjects will cover a solid 800 page or so textbook or equivalent material.

RGB said:
The timetable you would've got at enrollment would be the same as on SOLS. It would've just listed lectures plus all available tutes whereas the one on SOLS just shows the tutes you're enrolled in.

Marky24

HSC
I'll put a few links up, if your still having problems talk to one of the course coordinators asap which would be:

Bachelor of Information Technology
Name:Mr Glenn BEWSELL
Phone: 4221 5683
Email: gbewsell@uow.edu.au
Name:Ms Penney McFARLANE
Phone: 4221 4864
Email: penney@uow.edu.au

LINKS
A full time BIT student must do 4 subjects a session(semester), part time can do a minimum of 1 subject.

I will give an example on how to interpret the SOLS timetable:

Subject Code - The code of the subject that will be undertaken
CP - Credit points how much the subject weighs towards the degree
Lecturer(s)/Co-ordinator(s) - The people who will be taking the lectures
Contact Hours: Eg 2x2hr lec, 1hr lab, 1hr tut - so in this example two 2hour lectures will be undertaken, one 1hour in the Computer lab and one 1 hour Tutorial.

Lectures will be shown in bold those times are already set in stone.

ALL Tutorials and Computer lab times are also shown.Tuts and Labs are selected as indicated by the Contact Hours, but you must select them during Tutorial enrollment which will occur on the
11-Feb-2008 via SOLS. They are not set like the Lectures you can choose them to suit if you have a casual job for example.

meh cbf typing anymore PM me if you want more info. I'll see you at O week :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)