First Year students' dilemma's (1 Viewer)

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Do any other first year students feel like they're still stuck in holiday mode despite having had a 3 month + break?

Anyone finding it hard to get motivated to complete all (or even most) of the readings and actually starting assessments earlier than the day before it's due?

I'm not sure if it's just being burnt out after the HSC or whether it's normal to take time to get back into the groove of things after such a long period of non-thinking!!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
It's quite common, but you need to get over it quickly. With semesterised units of study, it's quite easy to suddenly find that you are about to fail a unit, and that can cause problems for progression for the rest of your degree.

There is a lot of research going on about easing transition to University because of issues like the one you describe - you might try getting together with others who are working, as this might make it easier to get back into the swing of studying.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Thanks CM_Tutor. I've found UTS to be really supportive and sympathetic to first year students in terms of the services they provide and extra advice that they give.

I'm sure others are experiencing the same thing ( because they've told me themselves). I'm sure it's just a matter of adjusting to goal-setting and planning at uni, which I found was easier to do with the structure of high school.

Not a major crisis, I know, but just thought I'd scan the forum for any people who want to voice any similar concerns.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
im not so sure i find it hard to adapt, cos my senior high was big on freedom, i think the hsc just made me lazy........but usyds pretty big on weekly taks so im not suffering to bad, they make u do stuff, some ppl i think in other unis are left more or less on the "honour" system, that would be hard, i struggle to "make" myself do stuff..though the amount of truanting ive been doin is starting to scare me........

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
im going ok, i think coz i usually have to hand stuff in each week or fortnight, so i have to do it...but im kinda behind in just general studying, but thats ok, thats what the holidays will be used for!

Ribbon

Motivation is such a big issue for me... I am never motivated to do the reading ect. but I always do the work for one tute I have where they randomly collect and assess someones homework!

I was really struggling before to get myself to do work, but since the assessments and things have been coming I am kindof getting into the swing of things again...

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i am very unmotivated, i spent the last two years working my arse off and now i have achieved what i wanted (getting into my course) and its kinda like the little light at the end of the tunnel has gone out, or just moved very very far into the distance.
I should have taken a year off, but 6 years at uni is just so much, i didnt want to be even older when i graduated.
nyeh, it'll be summer again soon!

santaslayer

HSC
whoa.....i find it hard for a person doing vet science to be unmotivated......!!!!!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i am actually in work mode, i can work well, but i am sick of studying - burnt out from hsc

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
when u spend two years doing nothing but study to earn your place, you kinda get burnt out. It wasnt even like i was studying stuff which would be useful in the future, i was like memorising the scientific names of plants - my brain is full of useless crap!

HSC
i am lazy as all fuck atm. i skip almost all my lectures, and now i have started skipping tut's. i dont do any of the readings, and i have done all my assignments 1 or 2 nights before.

but luckily... so far i have gotten atleast 95% in all my tasks (fucknig amazed)

next week i have 4 things due :(

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
Do any other first year students feel like they're still stuck in holiday mode despite having had a 3 month + break?

Anyone finding it hard to get motivated to complete all (or even most) of the readings and actually starting assessments earlier than the day before it's due?

I'm not sure if it's just being burnt out after the HSC or whether it's normal to take time to get back into the groove of things after such a long period of non-thinking!!
yeah, same here- i'm still in holiday mode...i was speaking to a second year pharmacy student- he said that he hasn't studied properly ever since the hsc (he got high 90s uai) coz he got sick of studying...so yeah, he's been living off passes and occasional credits and distinctions. :D

lolzieee

rOosters ^_-
i'm 2nd year and i still never do my readings and i rely on other people to tell me to do stuff :p

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Our course is pass/fail. There are no exams. So basically I just hand in my assignments and do bugger all else. And frankly, I'm enjoying just cruising along right now. After last year, it's a welcome break.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)