First years in Journalism at UTS (Facebook Group/Questions about Course) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTSjournalism

HSC
N/A
Welcome to all who are starting in Journalism at UTS, straight from school, after a gap year; or after transferring from another course or another university. If you are on Facebook, feel free to join the 2009 UTS Journalism group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46444147675) and let people know you are a first year Hope you have fun and feel free to pm me if you have any questions or you can just reply to this thread.

Jenna Price

Last edited:

BlytheChloe

HSC
Re: First years in Journalism at UTS

Joined.

Even though I don't really use Facebook.

Will edit/use after my holiday (when uni starts!).

SEE YOU on 25/02 (I think?).

UTSjournalism

HSC
N/A
Thanks, folks. We've had about a dozen first years join so far and all the rest are welcome (check the Facebook link above). See you at Orientation.

UTSjournalism

HSC
N/A
Welcome to those of you who were accepted in Journalism for this year. If you have any questions feel free to either message me through BOS or on my email jenna.price@uts.edu.au. The link for the facebook group for the 2009 intake is in the very first post on this thread. See you at enrolment.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
The international studies/journalism degree was giving me orgasms (especially the relationship with the ABC - my idols), until i saw it takes five years!

Eff that! I can do int rel/journalism at Bond for only three!

But, in case I fail to be elite enough to get into Bond, what is next year's cut off for comms/int stud at UTS?

Also, is the communications faculty as cool as they say?

panicstation

HSC
Cut off is around 95 for UTS. You know, though, that with the UTS degree, you actually go overseas for 12 months as opposed to just read about it. You also learn a language. One of our maniac teachers here wants everyone to learn Mandarin.

Never heard of Bond for journalism.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Ah I see. Yes i did read about the year overseas, which is very cool.

Now I'm looking at USYD (media and communications), which is four years and a year overseas/internship: which one to put as my number one preference?? Currently I have UTS as 1 and USYD at 2, any insights?

panicstation

HSC
Ah I see. Yes i did read about the year overseas, which is very cool.

Now I'm looking at USYD (media and communications), which is four years and a year overseas/internship: which one to put as my number one preference?? Currently I have UTS as 1 and USYD at 2, any insights?

All I know is that you do lots of theory at Usyd and don't get to do internships until fourth year whereas as UTS you do real reporting from day one, which is kinda scary but also cool, and also we get encouraged to do internships the minute we get here. You also need not to be frightened of the dragon who does the first year classes, she is eventually awesome if a little intense.

LAMBERS16

HSC
You're completely and utterly wrong. Ask any industry professional and they will tell you that CSU is recommended first. CSU is the best university in Australia, with J School in Queensland to do journalism. Just look up all the CSU alumni from past years and you will see how much better CSU graduates have progressed compared to all other journo offering unis. I will even do you a favour a list them below to solidify my point:

Notable alumni

panicstation

HSC
You are hilarious if a little misguided.

Stephen McDonnel (China correspondent for ABC)
Ross Gittins (economics correspondent SMH)
Martin Peers (senior editor, Wall St Journal)
Michael Atkin (ABC JJJ reporter and young radio journalist of the year last year)
Ben Cubby (SMH environment reporter)
Dylan Welch SMH crime reporter
Shannon Jones (now work as a producer for Andrew Denton)
Sunanda Creagh Reuters Indonesia
Daniel Street Channel Nine and young reporter of the year last year
Phil Thornton reporter and expert on Thai Burmese border
Emily Lawrence ABC regional radio
Ben Rossleigh 2UE producer
Jace Molan
Bonny Symons Brown AAP Canberra
Eoin Blackwell AAP
Belinda Merhab AAP (and just 20 years old!)
Brenden Hills news.com
Bill Birtles ABC
John Connell ABC documentaries
Eurydice Aroney Radio National
Mario Christodolou Illawarra Mercury and Walkley winner
Liam Phelan SMH night editor
Sharon Labi Sunday Telegraph reporter
Joel Labi 2GB
Kyle Taylor researcher at SBS Insight
Stephen Shore Financial Review reporter
Tim Palmer Lateline Executive Producer ABC
Jarrod Koh Channel Nine news
David Benuik AAP Sports
Jeremy Hartcher Fox Sports
Arianne Martin Channel Seven producer
Lauren Dubois Ten News
Carrie LaFranz Reuters
Morgan Mellish Walkley award winner who died in the plane crash in Indonesia and worked for the Financial Review
Cynthia Banham diplomatic editor the Sydney Morning Herald (also injured in the plane crash)
Jano Gibson SMH and now freelancing for the UTS
Belinda Kontominas
Sam Brett SMH columnist
Kelly Burke SMH
Amanda Phelan columnist for the Irish Independent
Julie Shingleton Jakarta Post
Tanya Plibersek (Federal ALP Minister but I refuse to pad this list with ‘authors’ like my friend from CSU)
Annabelle Hepburn Financial Review
Mawling Lam Telegraph
Bryce Corbett Reviewer Telegraph)
Bianca Martins Cumberland Newspapers
Nadia Jamal Chief of Staff Sydney Morning Herald
Alexandra Beech Macarthur Advertiser (hired before she even finished her degree after she had participated in the amazing internship program)
Ben Hurley Cumberland Newspapers
Steve Lewis News Ltd political editor
Matt Brown ABC roving reporter
Brendan Trembath ABC
Julie Lewis SMH then the Australian
Jane Searle Financial REview
Stephen Long ABC
David Spicer ABC

Last edited:

LAMBERS16

HSC
I am not "hilariously" misguided. CSU and J-School in QLD are regarded and have been consistently regarded over the years as the top 2 Australian universities/institutions for journalism.Oh, and if I am so misguided, why did the editorial manager for News Limited advise a cohort of students on work experience last year to choose CSU first, hence why I ended up following his advice? I rest my case.

Last edited:

panicstation

HSC
I have no idea why since his organisation has hired so many UTS graduates in the last few months. Maybe he thought that if the work experience students went to Bathurst they would stop bugging him. Enjoy where you are and what you are doing and make your judgement when you leave uni and get a job. I'm at UTS and see so many students getting straight into media jobs. I'm glad you have your list but there are few people on that list I want to be. I especially don't want to be a presenter or an author, I want to do reporting. So let's agree to disagree and I sincerely hope you enjoy Bathurst.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Hello, i will ask here a question which may have been asked before.

OKsies so I desire the BA Communication (Journalism) and Int Stud at UTS. However what may be unattainable is the 95.45. I mean I really have no idea how I'm going to go (I'm in TAS and haven't started any of my exams yet). How easy is it for me to get into UTS on a BA but then transfer into the course i want to do? Do i have to wait a year or can I do it straight away?

Also, I already have some journalism and media experience under my belt, and should have some more by the time i'm ready to go to uni (2011), what kind of scholarships are on offer for Journalism students? On the UTS website i couldn't find any.

panicstation

HSC
Straight journalism had a UAI of 95 last year, so if you got that you can transfer in to International at the end of first year without a UAi requirement. Oops, sorry ATAR requirement. Otherwise you can apply to to Info and Media/International and do three elective journalism subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)